Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined turkey question

Options
mrw123
mrw123 Posts: 202
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
 I brined a whole (boneless) Turkey breast and then put  a rub on it so I could make pastrami. It's been out of the brine 24 hours now.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time today and probably won't be able to smoke it before Sunday. 

How long can i keep it in the fridge? Should I vacuum seal it? Freeze it? 

Thanks

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can keep it in the fridge until Sunday, no problem.  Between 32 and 40F. You partially cured it which extends the shelf life.  Did you use nitrite for the pastrami?
    Options
    You can keep it in the fridge until Sunday, no problem.  Between 32 and 40F. You partially cured it which extends the shelf life.  Did you use nitrite for the pastrami?
    I did use nitrite. Thank you. I hate worrying about poultry! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could leave it in the fridge for at least a week without worry. 

Here's some interesting reading on curing and storing raw meats.  There are a few considerations for long-term curing like pH.  But none of them are applicable to you waiting for Sunday.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/ai407e14.htm

Options
    That was exactly  what I needed. I appreciate the help! 
  • mrw123
    Options
  • mrw123
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks excellent brother. How did it taste?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mrw123
    Options
    I thought it was great. I used the recipe from Charcuterie (I cut the salt in half).  The brine smelled so good I actually went out to buy a second turkey. I'd only planned on one (a gift for my sister), but I decided it smelled too good to not make more. The first one has already been sliced and vacuum sealed in individual portions. I decided it was so good I had to share--so my neighbors will be getting a treat tonight! The second one will be delivered to my sister in the next few days.  

Time to plan the next cook!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    I decided it was so good I had to share--so my neighbors will be getting a treat tonight! The second one will be delivered to my sister in the next few days.  

Time to plan the next cook!
    While you are giving away turkeys, put me on the list  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.