Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first attempt at ribs (pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Nice cook John
    Phoenix 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Very nice looking ribs.. Like everyone before awesome set up.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    John life would be miserable without SWMBO. So i understand and applaud you for making sure she is smiling and content. No excuses needed. On the matter of dry ends obviously it must br time for a larger egg. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    John life would be miserable without SWMBO. So i understand and applaud you for making sure she is smiling and content. No excuses needed. On the matter of dry ends obviously it must br time for a larger egg. 
    You read my mind. I am thinking an XLarge would prevent this. I would love to buy another one! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, just like a Man-Cave with no back wall.  Very good looking setup John.  With a rear view mirror on the temp gauge, you'd be able to see the temperature from inside the house.  That way when it gets too cold in Georgia - like below 70 - you wouldn't have to go outside.

Can't believe you've never cooked ribs ... as @SGH would say "they're one of my favorites."

@henapple had a good suggestion with the aluminum foil.  May I add a few more suggestions? Rotate your plate setter out of the grooves and setting on top of the fire ring ... that adds an extra inch or so to the height of the grill.  Align one plate setter leg with the dome thermometer ... that shields the thermometer from direct heat if the fire burns towards the front.  Rotate the ribs on the grill as the cook progresses ... that will alleviate any one rack from hanging over the edge for the entire cook.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Yep, just like a Man-Cave with no back wall.  Very good looking setup John.  With a rear view mirror on the temp gauge, you'd be able to see the temperature from inside the house.  That way when it gets too cold in Georgia - like below 70 - you wouldn't have to go outside.

Can't believe you've never cooked ribs ... as @SGH would say "they're one of my favorites."

@henapple had a good suggestion with the aluminum foil.  May I add a few more suggestions? Rotate your plate setter out of the grooves and setting on top of the fire ring ... that adds an extra inch or so to the height of the grill.  Align one plate setter leg with the dome thermometer ... that shields the thermometer from direct heat if the fire burns towards the front.  Rotate the ribs on the grill as the cook progresses ... that will alleviate any one rack from hanging over the edge for the entire cook.
    Thanks! I like that suggestion very much concerning the plate setter and the rib rotation. 

I am ready to try them again. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

I am ready to try them again. 
    We will be standing by to see them. Again, great looking ribs brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Very nice cook, John, and one awesome setup! (eggs, tables, patio, tv).
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    Options
    Brother in Carolina, did you build or buy the outdoor set up if I may ask? 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    SGH said:
    Are you asking me @SGH

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    Are you asking me @SGH

Yes sir. Did you build the table?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Sorry, above I said brother in Carolina. Should have read brother Kitchens. My bad. 

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina. ..2 years...why no ribs? Just wondering. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sorry, above I said brother in Carolina. Should have read brother Kitchens. My bad. 
    I am in Georgia so I wanted to make sure. 

No I didn't build the tables. My cousin built them for me. I am carpentry challenged. I would be hard pressed to build a bird house. 

henapple said:
    @JohnInCarolina. ..2 years...why no ribs? Just wondering. 
    John In Georgia here. I really don't know why. We mainly cook steak, chicken, hamburgers, sausage, venison, butts, and loins. 

Ribs are certainly in the rotation now. I told my wife that I needed an extra large egg now to have "more cooking room". She just rolled her eyes. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great! And yes, the XL does work great to protect ribs end to end. :smiley: 

You also could consider the Adjustable Rig R&B Combo with oval stone:
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/bbqing.html

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @DMW. I guess ordering an AR would be cheaper than picking up an XL. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    You waited how long?? Holy smokes! Well now you'll probably cook them for a month straight, haha, that's what I did. Nice job, enjoy!!!!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @anton. If I had tomorrow off I would cook them again! 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @johnkitchens , I just finished some cold leftover ribs, they don't even need to be warmed sometimes!! I hear you!!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    anton said:
    @johnkitchens , I just finished some cold leftover ribs, they don't even need to be warmed sometimes!! I hear you!!
    I agree. My son told me next time to get both eggs going and load them up. He loved them! 

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    Now you will never stop good job
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great lookin ribs...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Outstanding John. Just for kicks on the next ribs (good for weekday as fast) try turbo and see what you think. 
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    (No drip pan of liquid)
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Mickey. I plan on trying some Turbo Ribs! 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Very nice - you're hooked now!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Very true! 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Very true! 
    If you and the family are hooked that easily, be sure to stay away from those four bone Beef chuck short rib slabs.  Your family will end up standing around the egg like a group of hobos waiting for the latest batch to to finish.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max