Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flip it more boys!

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Kenji is smart.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I started doing this after reading Kenjis "perfect steak" post from a few years ago. Every 30 seconds x 4-6.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That is akin to the "Weber Way". I have a pamphlet somewhere that came with a kettle grill from the late 70's and its directions on how to use the kettle it states to flip the food constantly when cooking directly over the charcoal. At least every 60 seconds.  Maybe Weber has been right all along. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I must be a trailblazer because I have always been a serial flipper.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Becoming a flipper will be a hard task for those that live by that silly motto "if your looking your not cooking"
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If I’m grilling directly, I flip every 30 to 40 seconds, On a RS it is only once and then off. APL, Charred and Scruffed summarizes his idea of being a constant flipper or as he calls it “an active griller”. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    When I do a steak hot & fast I cook it at 600 to 700, put it on, 1/4 turn after 60 seconds, flip over after another 60 seconds, another 1/4 turn after 60 seconds and then shut both vents and let it go for a few minutes to get it where I want it.  For medium, vents shut for 4 minutes or so.  For medium rare 3 minutes and rare 2 minutes.  It seems to work well with a 3/4" to 1" steak, anything thicker then your closed vent time goes up.  

How many people even bother checking steak temps anymore?  I go by feel, look and time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2015
    Options

How many people even bother checking steak temps anymore?  
    If the steak is for just me I do not check it. However I will eat steak so rare that all it has to do is touch the grid and it's done enough for me. If the steak is for someone else and they want it cooked to a particular doneness, then yes I will check it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I constantly flip.
    Aurora,OH
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im not opening the dome every 20 seconds, the flames would be 3 feet tall :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    im not opening the dome every 20 seconds, the flames would be 3 feet tall :o
    I don't shut the dome during the sear. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Or as APL says scruffing is a mistake that's gone right. If it sticks that's good, if it doesn't it's fine you can cut little microscores to get a heightened crust. I use this method on CI as well as on the grid and even caveman. It gives a great depth in crust and an even cook to the center. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I don't flip. Then again no point on my George Forman
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You know you had one. Come on now. I used to make the best grilled cheese in college with that thing. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    You know you had one. Come on now. I used to make the best grilled cheese in college with that thing. 
    I lived on grilled cheese and tomato sauce sandwiches... Killah