Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger cooking technique?

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
I can crush a pork shoulder or ribs.  I can sear a steak to medium-rare bliss. 

But after coming to grips with a hard truth, I stink at cooking burgers.  Unlike my steak, I prefer my burgers more done.  I haven't mastered the art of (almost) fully cooking the patty without burning the outside.  

Any burger masters with tips or techniques for a medium-well/well done burger that isn't burnt?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Lower the temp to 300-350. Take your time. If you want, get some CI. You will get a nice sear even at the lower temps. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    If you are burning the outside, either raise your grid or cook at a lower temp. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Go indirect. If I have a bit more time, I'll do an indirect setup, with patties about 3/4" thick.  Sometimes, I mix in a bit of fish sauce and/or bread crumbs when forming patties. It's kind of like flat meatloafs, I guess. 

At 350, I normally start checking temps around 10-15 minutes.  It gets crusty, but not burnt.  

The only lesson I could pass on is to let the white smoke clear before you put the patties on, much like a low and slow. Ground beef absorbs a lot of smoke.  Good luck!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1 for cast iron - if you like a crust.  I don't think I'll ever go back to direct.

Also, agree with the others - lower temp if outside done before inside.

I went with a burger press last year - worst decision ever.  Burgers were not nearly as good as when loosly hand formed.
    Phoenix 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Direct with woo.  550 without Daisy wheel. Once I put burgers on. I look through the whole in the lid. If I see too much flame up I close the bottom vent by about half. I cook them about 3 to 4 minutes a side. Put cheese on the  last minute of cooking. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    I was having issues with burgers as well, but my last two burger cooks came out great. The first time I went with a thick patty and cooked slow cooked it at 250 then seared. The last time I went with thinner patties and cooked direct on the fire grid with the dome open the entire time and the bottom vent open about 1 inch. 

Both thy were very good, but IMO the second were better. If you decide to go with method #2 just be careful of flair ups. 
  • MotoGuzzi
    Options
    Cast iron is the way to go and turn often.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I have a question, Do all of you burger gurus cook with the lid open or closed?
    I have cooked up burgers before with the lid closed and the smoke that comes up from the coals taints the meat to the point we cant eat it. I assume I have to cook mine with the dome open
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Folks say I cook a mean burger so FWIW, try using ground round 85/15.

and I never cook with the egg open unless it's stir fry. An open egg is no better than a weber kettle IMO
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Folks say I cook a mean burger so FWIW, try using ground round 85/15.

and I never cook with the egg open unless it's stir fry. An open egg is no better than a weber kettle IM
    With the lid closed you don't get that acrid smoke from the fat dripping?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    No I don't, the round doesn't have that much fat in it but still holds together well. Burgers are cheap - give it a try and see what you think. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I have a question, Do all of you burger gurus cook with the lid open or closed?
    I'm certainly not one of the gurus but I will share some ways that I use. On my large egg I like to cook real thick burgers indirect until they are real close to the desired level of done ness and then sear to finish. I use a grid sitting on the spider for the sear. For the indirect phase I use a Woo with the plate setter. Another method, and my favorite way is to again use the large egg set up for indirect with the Woo and plate setter and do the final sear on my mini preheated to nuclear temps. If they are thin burgers that take mere minutes to cook, usually I use the "Weber Way" method on my mini. Leave the dome open and flip every few seconds until I get the color and done ness that I want. I really like the indirect method on the thicker burgers, it gives them time to pick up some smoke flavor and then the high heat sear gives them a good char. If you are going to cook fairly thick burgers strictly direct, I find that it's best to tone the heat down a little to prevent scorching the outside. I also flip pretty regular if I'm going to cook strictly direct. The method that I use is usually determined by how thick the burgers are, how many I have to cook and how much time that I have. Hope that this helps a little.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I am with @SGH and @ChillyWillis.  If you want thick burgers, try a reverse sear.  If you don't mind thin burgers, just pound them out nice and flat and then it is easy to get them fully cooked. 

@Dyal_SC had a great post with simple burgers "whopper" style:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176623/simple-burgers

As mentioned in this thread- I tried this and they were great just not big enough.  They shrink quite a bit so make them big. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Sometimes I'll do them fast food style  thin on a CI skillet, other times just direct at 500 or so till done.. They never taste too smokey to me, but then again I pretty much use Rockwood or OO lump... Maybe that makes a difference. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I've been doing flattened griddle burgers on cast iron and they're excellent. Get nice and crispy. No hope of medium rare though. We like ours Med well anyways. I find medium rare burgers mushy. Love med rare steak though. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For a crazy thick burger I might go reverse sear...raised indirect and finish direct in a CI pan. But, normally I go straight up in a CI pan or skillet and flip several times to get an even cook. That's worked for me and the crust isn't burnt even on the ones that want well well done (I assure you that's not me though :tongue: My bride likes em like that).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I go indirect about 375 till desired temp. Love the indirect method for burgers. I top with pimento cheese so the lower temp and indirect method gives the thick cheese time to melt. Now I'm hungry. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA