Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blocked Arteries..........now what?

Options

Had a heart cath to open up an artery recently. Feel great and back to work. Consider my self fortunate, but now I am being told to eat healthy, quit smoking, etc. I have quit smoking, but having been a meat & potato Irishman all my life, I am having a hard time changing my diet. Haven't had ribs, pulled pork, steak in several weeks. Not looking for sympathy, just looking for recipes to still enjoy ribs, pork, beef, etc. Never been a fish, salad guy kind of guy. So please refrain from fish & vegetable suggestions.

Wonder if that white smoke from RO did me in........(LOL)!

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am glad you are feeling better. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Are you saying you can't have any meat at all? I am thinking you can, but need to limit the fat and cholesterol, right? My husband has cholesterol issues so we eat lean meats, like flank steak, lean burgers, ribeyes, tri-tips anything like that. Chicken also places real high on our menu, and the egg cooks those to perfection. What dietary restrictions did they set for you? My thoughts are you can eat healthy easily if you keep in mind both the quantity and fat content when doing so.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • GASGUY
    Options

No, I am just looking for suggestions from people who found themselves in similar situation. For example, have they found low-salt rubs that taste decent? Do they still use sauce? Type of cooks they do now, similar to the type of meats you mentioned, etc. Thanks

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Good to hear about the smoking!! I'm guessing evie1370 is on the right track, but whatever your doc says. 

This recipe is for beef, but I have to limit red meat too, so one day I decided to try it with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Same quantity. Very similar taste and is every bit as good!! Even looks the same.

Judy Mayberry's pics are in this link. She linked to the actual recipe from Austin Egghead... Joan knows her stuff! http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1210326&catid=1

Good luck in your journey. I'm in a similar situation with sodium and sat fat. It's an adventure.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i feel sick after eating leafy salads so havent touched them in years, but love fresh tomatoes, onions, cukes in a bowl with a vinegrette, maybe change your idea of what a salad is. you say no fish but seared tuna steak i consider a steak. for those times you eat a good steak, maybe walk an hour to maybe make up for it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    We make our own rubs and sauces a lot of times, but personally we buy a lot off the shelf. There are quite a few out there that are lower in sodium. We also stay away from prepared foods: lunchmeat, frozen dinners, fast food,  any of that stuff. Loaded with sodium and fat...plus they do not really taste that good. My husband limits red meat to one day a week, then it is lean.

I also make my own salsa, a great flavor booster and easy to make...plus since i make it i control the salt. And it is fat free.

The change was tough, but once you get through it it becomes habit, and you really don't notice it as much. Trust me..it gets easier. Carolina Q is right, many foods such as chicken thighs taste as good. You just have to experiment and find what you like.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I make my own rubs and either leave out the salt or drastically reduce it. I know you won't believe this now, but you WILL get used to lower sodium. Really, you WILL.

I never was much of a sauce guy. About all I use now is Eastern NC vinegar sauce. And these days, I don't even use that very often. But I refuse to give up the occasional pulled pork sandwich! I smoke a butt a couple of times a year.

I eat a lot of chicken, beef or pork on occasion (as lean as possible). I need to eat more fish. Last night, I had some chicken (spatched on the egg) and a large salad. Quite good actually. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Glad you are doing better. Quitting smoking is HUGE!!!!!  i would just work hard on getting creative with chicken and the leaner pork cuts. 

Little Rock, AR

• GASGUY
    Options

Thanks all for your input and support.

Just don't want to say goodbye to brisket, pulled pork butt, BB ribs, etc.

Keep the suggestions coming, thanks.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Don't have to say goodbuy to all those. Just be a little more moderate with them and maybe trim a little heavier on the outer fat caps than normal. Another thing to do is try and add more fiber to your diet. It helps your body to not absorb the bad fats that you are needing to avoid. Use whole grain breads when you eat bread and more fresh fruits and veggies. 

Little Rock, AR

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I really don't believe you have to say goodbye to brisket, etc., just eat smaller and leaner portions. 
    McKinney, TX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    1+ @Biggreenpharmacist!  Everything in moderation, including moderation!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Almost forgot... here's a no sodium seasoning that's quite flavorful. My bro got it for me at Costco. Don't know where else it's available, though I think I saw it on Amazon. Very good, even if you're NOT on a lo so diet! Huge bottle!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    GASGUY said:

Had a heart cath to open up an artery recently. Feel great and back to work. Consider my self fortunate, but now I am being told to eat healthy, quit smoking, etc. I have quit smoking, but having been a meat & potato Irishman all my life, I am having a hard time changing my diet. Haven't had ribs, pulled pork, steak in several weeks. Not looking for sympathy, just looking for recipes to still enjoy ribs, pork, beef, etc. Never been a fish, salad guy kind of guy. So please refrain from fish & vegetable suggestions.

Wonder if that white smoke from RO did me in........(LOL)!

Do you have blood pressure issues or fluid retention/swelling?  

Little Rock, AR

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I had a stent put in back in 2012. My L.A.D. (The Widow maker) was 99% blocked and I was hours from a fatal heart attack according to my cardiologist. 

I was/am a runner and had run several half-marathons in the months leading up to "the event" as we call it around the house.

I wasn't overweight by more than 5 lbs and ate pretty much whatever I wanted to but skewed towards a healthy mix of fish, chicken, etc. 

My cardio guy, post stent, told me that my problem is heredity. My Mother has many, many heart/blood pressure issues.

Anyway, he told me to enjoy life, exercise regularly and make smart choices. Don't have a burger for lunch and a steak for dinner, etc.

If fish and salads are off the table for you, I wish you luck. Just quitting smoking isn't enough. You need to become one with non meat meals.

Ribs are packed with fat but I'm having them tomorrow night after my salmon tonight and my chicken last night.

Congrats on quitting smoking but please work on the fish thing. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Hate to admit it, but I could exist off a diet of grilled asparagus and corn.  I wouldn't need anything else and I'm pissed I never had my Egg for the five years I lived in Lincoln, Nebraska.
    Good luck.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    There are many leans cuts of any meat.

Beef - sirloin, tri-tip, tenderloin
    Pork - tenderloin
    Chicken - the whole dang bird!
    All fish

Fish is high in Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for you.  You should be able to eat any kind of fish unless you are allergic.

Limit beef to once a week.  Grill some sirloin filets.  Grill fish a couple times a week.  Grill chicken however you like as much as you like.  Toss in some pork tenderloin or a lean chops and you are good to go.

Want brisket or pulled pork?  I'd make it once a month.  No more.  No less.  It's about moderation.  Meaning pulled pork or ribs this month.  Brisket next, and so on.

Dizzy Pig makes a couple No Salt rubs.  Dizzy dust and Raging river.  That's what I would use for rubs.  I actually use those on just about everything anyways.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Thug kitchen cookbook is legit!  All vegetarian dishes that are deliscious. 

Plus us it's a funny read
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Tuna steaks are almost a mirror to regular steaks if cooked properly.  

Portobellos have a nice steak-like quality to them as well.

Caprese salads are nice too, no leafy greens besides the basil.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm still curious about your blood pressure. I didnt see where you mentioned it. I just read aboutbthe smoking and cholesterol. If your BP is fine the low-salt thing may not be as importsnt as itvwould to someone else. 

Little Rock, AR

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the health issues but glad to hear of your success with the smoking and trying to make some healthy changes. Best of luck to you. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @GASGUY -- That's scary stuff. I'm glad to hear that the cath worked.

My older brother recently died of a heart attack and I have his same bad eating habits. So now I'm worried. 
    Maybe they will come out with a new study saying that fatty meats are healthy. You never know.

I'm just curious what's your age?  
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Sorry for your loss @TigerTony   Diet is certainly part of the cause but smoking has a HUGE role in plaque formation snd artery clogging. The nicotine basically causes a thinning of the artery walls snd almost a perforation of sorts, so that the cholesterol more readily enters the artery walls snd forms these plaques. Due to the walls being thinned they are more likely to rupture snd release a chunk of it into the blood which forms the clot and causes the stroke or heart attsck. Most people worry sbout lung cancer, but smoking is a major contributor to your cardiac heslth. 

Little Rock, AR

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    with the pulled pork, ive seen it done here with pork tenderloin if you want to reduce the fat. dizzy pig has some salt free rubs as well if thats what you need
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Good to hear you avoided a bad event. I've been treated for congestive heart failure, and have to watch my blood pressure.

Smoking is a major contributor to heart/circulation problems. I have a friend who is as skinny as a rail, and he was told he absolutely had to stop, which he did after almost 40 years of heavy use.

I've been doing a lot of cooking for me and the family for some years, and it started when my father had to go on a low salt diet. After just a few months, I noticed how very salty many processed food were just from the taste. Now, too much salt is actually very unpleasant. Don't think you will have trouble getting used to less. More likely it will be finding things that don't have a ton added.

There's lots of change going on in the opinion on consuming fats. There was even an article in Time magazine within the last year saying "go ahead, enjoy your butter..." A recent study in Sweden showed that the rates of cardiac disease have been declining for years, but the rate has decreased even faster as butter consumption went up.

There is evidence that the problem with beef is that the common practice of corn finishing messes up the ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fats in the animal. Grass fed beef is not quite as good for one as salmon, but is much better. Evidently, the US diet has been (very) high in Omega-6, but low in Omega-3 for years, and that is part of the problem.

Stay away from transfats, such as hydrogenated vegetable oils found in margarine of old fashioned shortening. Turns out lard is a much better choice for baking.

Reduce sugar content. Evidently, a spike in sugar, or even a sugary flavor, leads to fat formation in the body.
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    several great suggestions above......for my part, I dont think you have to give up the things you love.......portion control and drinking water and walking 30 minutes 4-5 times per week will go a long way to allowing you to still partake in many of the things you have traditionally loved doing and eating.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    As mentioned above, moderation is key. Another area to consider is CV and muscle resistance training after getting are review from your physician.
    Whenever I  not in training for smit events, I use a low impact training regimen 4x/week for about 45 mins. Walking/hiking and Bowflex. I eat lean proteins and low on the carbs, specifically white carbs.
    I also try to keep sodium to a minimum, 
    Using herbs and other seasonings.

I am glad things are better for you. I am glad you have quit tobacco. I have lost two very close friends, young men, and the cause was tobacco related.

Stay the course, you can do this, and it will be good not only for you, but to those that care for you too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GASGUY
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for your kind thoughts. Still not smoking, with golf season approaching I'm guessing I will get enough exercise. Diet is the area I'm concerned with, but correctly assumed others here have found ways to deal and keep egging..........again thanks for advice!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Fortunately, I need to,stay low on carbs so any kind of meat works for me and in great abundance too. If I was you, I'd eat lots of,chicken and moderate amounts of everything else. 
    Dave - Austin, TX