Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St Louis ribs and my great grandmas baked beans

Options
SWMBO called me from work today and told me she had a hankering for some ribs... and what the lovely lady wants the lovely lady gets, downpours be damned. 

I found a great looking rack of St Louis ribs at my butcher, trimmed the skirt, pulled the membrain, rubbed it down with Worcestershire and dizzy dust and onto the egg at 250. 

Pretty much any time I'm making BBQ I'll also make my Great Grandmothers baked beans as a side dish (with time permitting, they are an all day affair). These are true old school Boston baked beans with a recipe that dates back to the pre-prohibition era.... and they are unbelievably good!

here are the ribs hitting the egg and the beans in their initial soak. More to come as the cook continues

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing this old school Boston Baked Bean recipe. Nothing complements BBQ like good beans!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    WE WANT BEANS! WE WANT BEANS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Always a bonus when the Wife initiates..... ;)..Looking forward to seeing the beans.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    You know it's time to add the ingredients to the beans when you can blow on a spoonful and the skins peel. At this point I add sugar, molasses, 1 small yellow onion, ground mustard, salt, pepper and salt pork. Then the pot is back to boil until the beans are truly soft. 

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited April 2015
    Options
    When the beans are soft chuck em in the bean pot and stick them in the oven at 350. If there is and liquid left over hold on to it and add as the beans cook. Be sure to put that salt pork on top so it can brown up and coat those beans with all that goodness.  Once they are in the oven it's usually about 3 hours till they're done. 

The ribs are looking good too!

• Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    That looks real good.  I did a pot of Beans this past weekend also.  My mother's bean pot is what I've used for years, but the high profile doesn't work with my MM.  I need a ceramic or clay bean pot that works on the MM, so I can have beans available all day while my LBG does everything else.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    Looking forward to hearing this old school Boston Baked Bean recipe. Nothing complements BBQ like good beans!

Jim
    That was a lot quicker than I thought it would be.  Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    We are getting close now! I sauced the ribs with blue hog Tennessee Red and put them back on to finish. I also decided to toss some brussel sprouts on to round out the meal. The beans are just starting to thicken nicely as well. I love it when a plan comes together. 

• ChillyWillis
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The payoff!!! Everything came out delicious but I was particularly happy with the ribs. What is it about meals that take 1/2 the day to cook that makes everything taste so much better?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking good thus far brother chilly. I will peek in again later for the finale. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Very nice! I bought myself a clay bean pot just last week. So many say these dedicated pots are the key to the best beans. Can't wait to experiment with it.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • ChillyWillis
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @CtTOPGUN here is the recipe if you'd like to give these a run in your new bean pot (in my Grams handwriting no less). I hope they do as well for you and yours as they have for my family. 

Looking at those finished shots just made me remember the leftovers....

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Wow what a great post and cook..Love that first pay off pic..Awesome looking food and pics..Also thanks for sharing the beans recipe..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Man that is a great cook...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    damn - that fork pic is amazing.  I've never seen a bean pot before, very cool.  Thanks for sharing a family recipe like that, I half expected to read 'sorry, can't share' like happens too often.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    This is truly awesome. :clap: 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    recipe looks very similar to mine, we use yellow eyes and grandmas molasses. love baked beans, just cant get into the canned stuff

0b490e70jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Good looking cook ... especially love those old-time recipes that are still in use.

Got to ask about the lump grate on the side table in picture #3 ... isn't it supposed to be in the bottom of the egg?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @ChillyWillis - that's one very special piece of paper you have there. Nothing like transcending generations with those tastes from when you were a child. 

Great cook!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Jeepster47 it looks a lot like a fire grate but it is actually a cast iron trivet that I use so I don't burn my side tables while I'm using my CI skillet. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thank you!! I have been looking for a good baked bean recipe that doesn't have the ton of sodium that all of the canned varieties have. Plus, the canned stuff isn't very good anyway. I'm sure these will be delicious!

Great post!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    You had me until the fork
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    The old recipe cards are priceless! Pretty damn cool, Grandma! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Carolina Q this may go without saying, but if you are looking for low sodium then be careful about the salt pork. It can be very salty depending on the type. This is just a guess but maybe par boiling it for a few minutes before tossing it in with the beans could help keep the salt down. 

Hope you all enjoy the beans, we sure do!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Very nice all around. I'm sure she misses you too. 
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the family recipe. I was raised on canned beans but my wife and MIL changed me. They also have a family recipe for real baked beans and there is just no comparison. I'm definitely gonna give these a go.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

Beans look great, I need to find a bean pot and give this a try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. Making these will have great thought put into it for the memory of her. Thank you for the recipe.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN