Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soft Shell Crabs

Options
With soft shell crabs coming into season very soon I was curious if anyone tried cooking them on the egg?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blukat said:
     I was curious if anyone tried cooking them on the egg?
    I have not. I have always battered and deep fried them. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. With that said, I feel that you would be very hard pressed to do any better than deep frying in my opinion. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I agree, just looking for different option since the BGE always makes things taste better!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Search the forum, there are several older threads with soft shell crab. 
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    I've never tried a soft-shell crab - do you just batter, deep fry, and then eat the whole thing?
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    Sorry - some quick googling gave me my answer!

Cleaning soft-shell crabs http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-clean-soft-shell-crabs.html 
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • blukat
    Options
    Yes they are amazing, very little prep work involved.  Typically light batter pan fried with a squeeze of lemon juice.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @blukat- Believe this or not, we sometimes deep fry the hard shells as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pan frying is best, IMHO, with softshell blue crabs.  Deep frying is fine, I think they dry out too much.  I cooked thousands of these when I was in college at a restaurant I worked at - Pelican's Wharf.
    Options
    We're looking to try to do good this season. 5 gallons of Blue Crab a day per person ain't bad. Smaller ones get used for live bait. There's a very good reason Blue Crab lump meat is expensive as all get out. And a fresh Blue Crab Cake is proof of why. Good stuff!  And yes fried whole is killer too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    edited April 2015
    Options
    too bad the pic is gone but there was a cajun chef here, chefwil who did a bacon wrapped stuffed crab that looked amazing, here is his origional post, notice the use of whipping cream instead of mayo, ive never seen that before. he used guava wood, its similar tasting to pecan but milder

DSCN0446jpg
    <p />just recieved my hole-e-smokes silicon grilling mats today. Man oh Man, these mats are nice. Pictured are soft shell crabs, stuffed with crab cakes, wrapped in bacon. Cooked indirect on the silicon mat at 375 degrees for 19 minutes using 1 chunk of guava wood for added flavor. Reason for the mat? Did wanna put any cornmeal on the baking stone, didn't want a gritty crab. Cooked on the mat, removed from egg, and plated. This is not an endorsement for hole-e-smokes or the BBQ Guru people, this is just my preferred way of cooking the crabs. Now I can't wait to make chicken jalapeno sausage without having to use casings.
    Heres the recipe:
    6 large soft shell crabs........ cleaned
    Crabcake mix:
    24 saltine crackers, 2 large whole eggs, 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 teaspoons of old bay seasonoing. Blend until smooth. Add to 1 pound of jumbo lump crabmeat.[p]Divide crabmeat mixture into 6 portions and top off each crab with the appropriate amount of crab cake, fold in the legs and claws, wrap each crab using a slice of thin bacon tucking ends underneath the crab. Season lightly and cook on the BGE.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    The soft shells are a fairly simple cook .. melt some butter and pour in some hot sauce with lemon juice. Dip the soft shell crabs in this and then toss them on a 400 to 425 dome BGE for 5 minutes each side. They come out great.

However I still like them battered & deep fried :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • blukat
    Options
    @fljoemon I will have to try your way.  Thanks
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    pan frying is best, IMHO, with softshell blue crabs.  Deep frying is fine, I think they dry out too much.  I cooked thousands of these when I was in college at a restaurant I worked at - Pelican's Wharf.
    Agreed.

I like to fry them for po boys, but I like them sauteed for a meal.

“All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    The soft shells are a fairly simple cook .. melt some butter and pour in some hot sauce with lemon juice. Dip the soft shell crabs in this and then toss them on a 400 to 425 dome BGE for 5 minutes each side. They come out great.

However I still like them battered & deep fried :-)
    @fljoemondo you boil them first before you do this (assuming they are live)?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt .. The crabs are live ... I actually steam them in my Turkey fryer using the steam basket that came with it. 
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL