Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kinda Ruined dinner

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
The other day I made a meatloaf that I smoked on the BGE.
It was pretty good meatloaf with a nice smoke flavor.
Tonight in an effort to use up leftovers, I crumbled the remaining meatloaf into a marinara sauce for spaghetti.
It was edible, but it didn't taste right.
I know it will be my job to finish the leftover spaghetti on my own.
This experience has convinced me I probably should never attempt a lasagne on the BGE.
I don't think BBQ smoke flavor and Italian cuisine go together, at least not for my palate or my family's.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE lasagna on the egg. I do cover the lasagna with foil for first hour of the cook then uncover so the cheese picks up a subtle smoke flavor. I havent ever used smoked meat in the meat sauce, though. Maybe that was the problem?

Little Rock, AR

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Lasagna on the egg is good. Just wrap in foil and take the foil off to brown up the top when it's about down. It will only get the smoke flavor of you add wood- and that would be disgusting. FYI-IMO leftover beef is gross. Except for brisket/corned beef. That shits awesome. 
    NW IOWA
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I have found that sometimes I get a smoked flavor even if I don't use chips or chunks.  I also agree that the flavor is not agreeable in every dish.  I tried smoked chicken in a pot pie once and like you sensed, it just didn't seem right. 

Every cook is a lesson I suppose :)  

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Lasagna has been a huge hit for me on the egg, but I suppose to each his own. To minimize the smokiness, I concur with what @Biggreenpharmacist said re: covering. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Lasagna on the egg is a huge it. Why wasn't it good? Was the meat dry? Too smokey? What exactly was bad about it? 

XLBGE 
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options

you guys cooking "homemade" lasagna on the egg...... or stoffers / Costco versions?

I have a hard time telling the difference.

Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    We do a mushroom lasagna with bechamel sauce. It never tastes smokey. Just as a lot of folks do breads and desserts. You need to make sure you have a clean smelling fire. Old lump for example. 

Some heven ave entirely separate eggs for baking.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    We do a mushroom lasagna with bechamel sauce. It never tastes smokey. Just as a lot of folks do breads and desserts. You need to make sure you have a clean smelling fire. Old lump for example. 

Some heven ave entirely separate eggs for baking.  
    Baked pasta is a favourite around our house, smoke is not pasta’s friend, IMO. Use a very neutral lump or use 2nd burn lump is a good idea. The egg is “cleaner” if you bake following a grilling cook, like steaks or burgers. 
    @Zmokin - I always get the left of meat loaf, SWMBO likes it the first meal, but says it is too smoky as a left over. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Lasagna on the egg is a huge it. Why wasn't it good? Was the meat dry? Too smokey? What exactly was bad about it? 
    It just didn't taste right.  The smoke flavor from the meatloaf made the spaghetti sauce not taste right.  I had been enjoying the leftover meatloaf as meat loaf.  and figuring that since meatloaf is pretty much like one giant meatball, I figured it would taste fine crumbled up into marinara sauce.  Now I think if it had been meatloaf cooked in the oven it might have been fine, and that is was the smoke taste that made the spaghetti just not taste like spaghetti should taste. 

For those who say wrap the lasagne in foil, my thoughts are if I don't want smoke flavor, then I don't use a smoker to cook the food.  I only use my egg for cooking food I want to smoke. 

• Zmokin
    Options
    beatarmy said:

you guys cooking "homemade" lasagna on the egg...... or stoffers / Costco versions?

I have a hard time telling the difference.

If I'm cooking lasagne, it's not "frozen".

Reason numero uno, I don't like ricotta cheese and most store bought lasagne's use ricotta cheese.

numero dos, I like making lasagne from scratch.

so for me, having discovered what I discovered with leftover smoked meatloaf in spaghetti sauce, I am not about to risk ruining a labor of love by smoking a lasagne.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I have had member Cookn Bikers lasagne from the egg and it's the best lasagna I've ever ate in my life.  True Italian lasagne is a whole different taste what we Americans call lasagne. Everything was created from scratch and finished off in the egg.  She has a write up of the recipe and process somewhere posted on the greeneggers forum.  Definitely a good read 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    @WeberWho:  I really searched hard on both websites and can't find Molly's lasagne recipe anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thanks.
    Judy in San Diego
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    @WeberWho:  I really searched hard on both websites and can't find Molly's lasagne recipe anywhere. Do you have a link?

Thanks.
    all i can find are the pics, some incredible stuff there
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178649/lasagna-a-few-ways/p1

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    I did mac and cheese after cooking ribs for 6 hr. I left it wrapped in foil for first 20 min then uncovered for the next. The top had a slight smoke flavor the middle did not.
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

Thanks.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1304761
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Two quick comments. First, Meatloaf is often better the second day....after it has set up in the frig. Don't discount reheating and or making meatloaf sandwiches. Secondly, Lasagna is excellent on the egg. Don't back off based on your current experience. One recommendation though...use a ceramic vessel, and not cast iron here. The acidity of the mater sauce can impart an overwhelming iron taste in the lasagna. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    The other day I made a meatloaf that I smoked on the BGE.
    It was pretty good meatloaf with a nice smoke flavor.
    Tonight in an effort to use up leftovers, I crumbled the remaining meatloaf into a marinara sauce for spaghetti.
    It was edible, but it didn't taste right.
    I know it will be my job to finish the leftover spaghetti on my own.
    This experience has convinced me I probably should never attempt a lasagne on the BGE.
    I don't think BBQ smoke flavor and Italian cuisine go together, at least not for my palate or my family's.
    I find smoke flavor amplifies the next day. I would try the the same cook without added smoking wood. If your family is anything like mine it will meet wild approval.