Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for the boss

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
Long story short...I donated a "southern bbq dinner" to an office silent auction. The boss (Dean of the College/CEO where I work) bought it. Tonight SWMBO and I will host 8 friends/Co workers all of whom have PhDs (biology, philosophy,  english, and sociology). I do not possess a PhD so this will be fun. The menu is as southern and from scratch as I can get. Pulled pork generously rubbed with Southern Soul Dust, bbq beans from Memphis,  cole slaw from Mobile AL, my mom's peach cobler from Savannah GA, and from scratch pimento cheese and deviled eggs for apps. Three home made bbq sauces. N Carolina, S Carolina, and GA sweet and spicy. Some Kentucky bourbon and muscadine wine. Of course sweet tea, very sweet tea. Pics later. Wish me luck. 
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sounds like a great meal. You got this. 

Should be be some interesting conversations. :)
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have no doubt you'll nail it!
    GWN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    You'll do just fine! Let us know the various topics of discussion - that alone might be entertaining!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice menu.  Sounds like fun times to me.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Those pork butts look like they could be dessert. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    Sounds like the perfect menu!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Stick to topics that you are knowledgeable about, such as food, cooking, egging and forum commenting etc....
     I'd remain silent when the discussion turns political, religious and especially philosophical. 
    I find that most people with PhD's have very little sense of humor and almost no common sense.
    My advice is to cook your best, serve, eat and keep quiet. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    Options
    What an awesome idea!  I tip my hat to you.

Turning something you love to do into an oppurtunity to raise money for a good cause is very cool!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Um, too late to put in a bid?........
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I bet none of them have an Egg.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You will do fine Kevin. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    We are getting there. The sauce in the pot is an old south GA recipe. The vinegar sauce recipe in the jar is from a close friend who used to cook out of Wilson NC. Cobler is ready for the oven. Wine and bourbon are itching to be opened. Butts are moving along and the weather is perfect. More later. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm sure you'll do fine. The menu sounds awesome. Hopefully there will a discussion not a debate. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • CrazyGuy
    CrazyGuy Posts: 18
    Options
    Who would be able to talk with all that food in their mouth?  Looks great and good luck.
    Jeff/Chicago/LBGE/Weber Gas
    "The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean" - Robert Hunter
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Looks great...  It will be a great meal.... Can you share the sauce recipe from Wilson NC?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @ksmyrl - First up-congrats on being the item the boss wanted to win. Second up-you've got this as mentioned.  Third up-start with plenty of the Four Roses cocktails and send them home with lots of left-overs.  Great menu for sure.

Enjoy the evening as much as you can.  And enjoy the festivities.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    hapster said:
    You'll do great... Have fun and relax. Don't sweat the Phd stuff... I've got two neighbors who have PHDs in chemistry; they're both idiots, I'd put my 11 year old up against them in a test of common sense 
    One must always remember there is a difference between educated or well read and "smart". Of course, there are those who are both. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    hapster said:
    You'll do great... Have fun and relax. Don't sweat the Phd stuff... I've got two neighbors who have PHDs in chemistry; they're both idiots, I'd put my 11 year old up against them in a test of common sense 
    +1
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    hapster said:
    One must always remember there is a difference between educated or well read and "smart". Of course, there are those who are both. 
    I agree, there are those who are both.  It always bothers me when people use stereotypes to make conclusions about how someone is.  Regardless of the category, stereotypes usually paint a negative perspective of someone and in many instances the perspective is incorrect.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    good call on the four roses single barrell
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Well we are waiting. :smiley: 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ksmyrl
    Options
    So...sometimes things turn out better than you anticipate.  This evening was a blast. The conversation was generally about bbq, golf, and travels. Only at the end did it go to the politics of Ecuador (seriously) but all in all it was great. The boss said several times that this was the best bbq he had ever had. Everyone loved the single barrel Old Fashioneds and one dude brought a from scratch agave cocktail. Basically it was tequila but it can't be called that unless made in Mexico. They each left with a little less than a pound of que and a jar of my home made sauce. Forgive the pics. As I had more bourbon my photography skills waned. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Home run.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Great Kevin!  I'm impressed you got photos at all. My extended family still thinks in strange taking pics. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great work! Sounds like you put on a fantastic evening 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Sounds like it went well. Nicely Done!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    @ JohnnyTarheel this isn't exactly it. This is from food networks site. I use more cayenne and two types of vinegar. But to avoid me typing off a miserably stained index card this will get you close. But this is a great sauce in itself. And super easy. Start here and add your own touch. 

2 cups cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    4 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon hot sauce
    1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne
    1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    Directions
    Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive mixing bowl, mixing until the sugar and salt dissolve. Taste for seasoning, adding pepper as needed. Transfer to a clean, sterile jar and refrigerate. Will keep for several months.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nailed it Kevin. Glad it all worked out swimmingly for you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL