Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEAT vs TEMP

Options
Heat and Temperature are 2 different things.   I really don't know how to explain the difference except by example.

A very heavy, massive object has lots of HEAT energy, regardless of temperature.  And with given amount of energy input, takes time to rise in temp.   
When I light my XL in a SINGLE place, it takes quite a while for the dome to get very hot.   If I light up in 4 places, it heats more quickly,(heat) but doesn't necessarily get HOTTER.(temperature)

No matter if I keep the dome to 250 for a slower cook or hotter, it seems to take ABOUT the same amount of time to cool.  Longer, of course, for higher temps, and if I could measure, I'm sure the ceramic IS hotter. (holding more HEAT energy.)

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That settles the long questioned principles of grilling a steak and smoking some primal. Thank you.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Dude you just melted my face  :o
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I presume no one really wants to hear a thermodynamics explanation, so I'll exercise some self-control.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Heat transfer and physics-kinda drive the Q circuit.  
    Enjoy your BGE and welcome aboard.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Sorry, Folks.
    I'm a little (ok, a lot!) anal about some terms.    And usage.   People use 'heat' and 'temperature' almost interchangeably and they are NOT.  
    I used Thermocouples in High Temp furnaces for decades.   Up to 1200c =2192f .    Our thermocouples were given with a sheet calibrated at 1 degreee intervals so we could enter corrections into the furnace and be guaranteed a certain temperature.  

And Yes, Berndcrisp, smoking IS primal.  
  • Legume
    Options
    Oh man, we could've used that kind of language precision over on the devastation thread last night.  I think that threads pretty much played out now, so the issue is probably mute.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I'm pulling for Temp. I never did like the Heat.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited April 2015
    Options

Some folks here don't know whether to use dome or grate temp, now this?

LOL, just kidding. You can never have to much knowledge, except this is a little above my pay scale.

:):o   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Begger said:
    Sorry, Folks.
    I'm a little (ok, a lot!) anal about some terms.    And usage.  
    So am I, and I think understand what you are trying to say.

Heat is energy.
    Temperature is a measurable property related to how much energy is stored in an item.  This energy is stored as the kinetic energy (vibrations) of the molecules/atoms of the material.  Different materials can have the same temperature, but be storing different amounts of energy.

IOW, the same amount of heat will not make all items become the same temperature.  The higher the "Specific Heat" of an item, the more energy it takes to raise 1 lb of that substance 1 degree in temperature.

e.g.  it takes about 10 times as much heat energy to raise a lb of water one degree as it takes to raise a lb of iron one degree.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Ok, I'm an engineer, but damn, my eyes are bleeding here.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    you can stick your hand comfortably into a 212F oven, try that with a pot of water at 212F  =)
    canuckland
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I lay my hands upon thee green stone...if I move them quick it's hot. If I keep them there it is warm. When I rub her all over I might find a cold spot. 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I need another bowl.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Begger said:
    Sorry, Folks.
    I'm a little (ok, a lot!) anal about some terms.    And usage.  
    So am I, and I think understand what you are trying to say.

Heat is energy.
    Temperature is a measurable property related to how much energy is stored in an item.  This energy is stored as the kinetic energy (vibrations) of the molecules/atoms of the material.  Different materials can have the same temperature, but be storing different amounts of energy.

IOW, the same amount of heat will not make all items become the same temperature.  The higher the "Specific Heat" of an item, the more energy it takes to raise 1 lb of that substance 1 degree in temperature.

e.g.  it takes about 10 times as much heat energy to raise a lb of water one degree as it takes to raise a lb of iron one degree.

Yes, given that the mass of the egg is pretty constant across EACH model, temp is the way to go.    Mass x temp should equal some net energy.
    But don't forget that whether your dome temp is at  220f or 500f, the temp of the burning charcoal is about the same.   Just so darn much MORE of it at the higher dome temp.   

And yes, isn't alcohol a WONDERFUL chemical solution?   And even philosophically, it may be a solution!    Fancy THAT!
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    And I had 6 PhDs for dinner...but this never came up?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • theyolksonyou
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    And I had 6 PhDs for dinner...but this never came up?
    How'd you cook em?  Raised direct?
  • Legume
    Options
    I'm pretty sure dogs go into heat, but their temperature doesn't change, so they must be different.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    "Clarice, I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner"
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Heat is a "thing".

Temperature is the measurement of a "thing".

Now, that was easy.