Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st bag of Rockwood

Options
piney
piney Posts: 1,478
I just got my first bag of Rockwood from Ace/Morganton, N.C. They don't stock but will order for you. I can't wait to try it.
Lenoir, N.C.

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    What did you pay?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • piney
    Options
    $24.95 plus tax
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sweet!  You'll be hooked once you egg with it. Enjoy. What are you gonna egg on it first?

Wait just one second here!  Only one bag :confused: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • piney
    Options
    kinda goofed on pic posting things have changed
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Enjoy!!  Don't eat it all at once.

BTW, you win the picture of the day award.....looks like spring has sprung in your part of the world.  Still waiting here.

• piney
    Options
  • piney
    Options

Enjoy!!  Don't eat it all at once.

BTW, you win the picture of the day award.....looks like spring has sprung in your part of the world.  Still waiting here.

Thanks, I can't wait to try your product, it is rated very high among the majority of Eggheads here. Thanks for providing the SKU# I needed.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You will like it @Piney

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Really the outright best since OO left us.
    McKinney, TX
  • piney
    Options
    Sweet!  You'll be hooked once you egg with it. Enjoy. What are you gonna egg on it first?

Wait just one second here!  Only one bag :confused: 
    Don't know what the first cook will be but I will keep you posted and try to post pics. I am having some trouble with pic posting on iphone6
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    Options
    I've got a s***load of RO on hand and a few bags of B&B Oak but I am looking forward to trying this
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Man, as much as I love Maple Leaf, can't help but wish we got Rockwood up here. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Man, as much as I love Maple Leaf, can't help but wish we got Rockwood up here. 
    You send me a bag of ML and I'll send you a bag of RW.
    McKinney, TX
  • piney
    Options
    Look how nice and clean the bag looks, no rough handling during shipping sometimes that is hard to say about RO and Wal-Mart
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Good looking bulbs
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Really the outright best since OO left us.
    And before. :smiley: 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    On my 3rd bag of RW and love it.   If you like the smokey flavor from the charcoal it is milder than most, but allows you to put what ever smoke you want on the food.  I must admit I only have experience with BGE and FOGO lump, but so far RW is clean burning, little ash, seems to last on long cooks, no complaints!  
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    piney said:
    $24.95 plus tax
    That's what I paid for 2 bags yesterday. Sounded like a lot, but at least I didn't pay more than you!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Kyle919
    Kyle919 Posts: 28
    Options
    On my 3rd bag of RW.  Not very many big pieces in mine like I heard about.  Was a little disappointed. It does heat up very well and cook great also but was looking for bigger chunks.  May need to buy from a different place.  The Ace I bought them from May be a little rough with them.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Wicked good if you want the big chunks. My OO was great no real big chunks, I have 2 bags of Rock on deck.
    Seattle, WA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Kyle919 said:
    On my 3rd bag of RW.  Not very many big pieces in mine like I heard about.  Was a little disappointed. It does heat up very well and cook great also but was looking for bigger chunks.  May need to buy from a different place.  The Ace I bought them from May be a little rough with them.
    I recently got my first two bags of Rockwood. Purchased from Ace. The first bag surprised me because it had no large pieces in it. I had always heard people comment that Rockwood was better on large pieces than Royal Oak. However, the Royal Oak I had been using had a lot more large pieces than the Rockwood.  Story changed dramatically with the second bag. Lots of larger pieces. I can only surmise that someone dropped the first bag off the back of the truck onto the store's parking lot.  Lesson learned - handling during transit and delivery makes a big difference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• piney
    Options
    I wanted to try the Rockwood tonight but I'm doing Red Snapper and I have Bayou Classic left in the egg (I bought a couple bags of this in Tx last year) and I don't want to waste the used lump or the Rockwood!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    piney said:

So what do your neighbors think of you staging artistic shots with a bag of charcoal?   I can hear it now...

"From now on keep the doors locked Mavis, I think piney has snapped.  He's moving a bag of something around his hard and taking pictures of it.  Do you think he's dangerous?"
    Phoenix