Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cutting legs off plate setter?

Options
Anyone done it before?  If so, how'd ya do it?
___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Why?

Have an AR and one of the levels on it is for the oval plate setter.  Figure if i can cut legs off original plate setter i might be able to add another level of cooking space.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Was thinking about cutting the legs off the MM 
    one to fit in the woo better
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you have a dremel the tile cutting bit cut through it easily. I used it to cut notches out of an old fire ring so the platesetter fit in better.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    California Pizza Stones sells 19" and 21" round stones... why not go that way and save the plate setter (or sell it)
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    4 inch angle grinder with a dry cut diamond blade. Did it for my small and large platesetter. Worked great!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have cut up 3 over the years.
    The easiest way for me was a jig saw with a tile blade. Then a palm sander to smooth it out. Above is an old style XL that snapped a leg. Photo with a little test pizza.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenox-Tools-20320GT300J-U-Shank-Carbide/dp/B0009VSE6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427890306&sr=8-2&keywords=jig+saw+tile

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Photo Egg ... Have you used those blades on firebrick?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    mtbguy said:
    Doing this too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    mtbguy said:
    Doing this too. 
    Me too!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For you guys cutting the legs off, hang onto them. I've found them useful to use for raising grids, creating airgaps, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @Photo Egg ... Have you used those blades on firebrick?
    No, sorry. Not sure the blades would be long enough.
    I did cut my thin firebricks on a wet tile saw with no problems.
    I would think and local tile installer might help you with this for cheap.
    Or a place that installs pavers/brick.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @Photo Egg ... thanks for the reply.  Looked into renting the wet saw for a little bit, but that was prohibitive for a small project.  Will try to find someone with a saw to dress up my firebricks.

In the mean time, I bought some of these to try out.  We were in Tucson yesterday and visited a large ceramic supply store.  Someone else on the forum has used them successfully, so I'm going to play with them.  Bought some 1-1/2" square by 4" long for raised direct.  And, some 1" square by 1/2" long to raise the drip pan up ... probably foolish since the 1/2" copper fittings work so well.  But, it's fun to futz experiment.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You should be able to buy a 4" angle grinder for 25 bucks. Wear a face shield, long sleeves and gloves when you do it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeepster47
    Options
    I have a good angle grinder ... just don't have a good cut off wheel.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    You should be able to buy a 4" angle grinder for 25 bucks. Wear a face shield, long sleeves and gloves when you do it.
    I would suggest a breathing mask as well.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have a good angle grinder ... just don't have a good cut off wheel.

Just go to the big box and ask for cut wheels

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - head for Home Depot. I like my PSWoo for my LBGE so much that I bought the Woo's for my small and medium. I bought a masonry blade for my 4 1/2 in grinder and modded my platesetters to fit the rest of my Woos. I love how it works as I still have a place to shield my probes from the direct heat. 

The cut-off wheel was about $3.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Do it outside on a breezy day and it will take about 10 minutes. No need for all the safety equipment other than glasses in my opinion. It's not really a big deal. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Glasses and gloves at a bare minimum. I've seen some nasty hand cuts from using a grinder back in my construction manager days
  • minniemoh
    Options
    I'm not saying to be reckless here. This stuff cuts like butter with the right tool for the job. Be safe please. I believe I gave the wrong impression with my previous comment. Sorry. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I'm not saying to be reckless here. This stuff cuts like butter with the right tool for the job. Be safe please. I believe I gave the wrong impression with my previous comment. Sorry. 

Sure. It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    minniemoh said:

Sure. It's all fun and games till somebody loses an eye.
    And then it's just fun.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Zmokin said:

Do it outside on a breezy day and it will take about 10 minutes. No need for all the safety equipment other than glasses in my opinion. It's not really a big deal. 
    Some of us prefer to take better care of our lungs.  Maybe being a severe asthmatic makes me put a higher value on caring for my lungs.  I use a breathing mask when using my leaf-blower, and you should see how filthy the filter gets after an hour of blowing and then vacuuming up leaves in the fall.

Some ceramic dusts are actually quite carcinogenic when inhaled even though they would be perfectly safe to eat, I don't know what the BGE is made of, but I know I have no interest in inhaling even a microscopic amount of ceramic dust. 

And when I wear a mask, it is NOT one of these cheap leaky things.

I wear one more like one of these with replaceable filters.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.