Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter Mess

Options
I bought a platesetter and slow cooked some pork ribs and now there's rib juice all over the plate setter. Should I be concerned? 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No it's not an issue. Next time you do a high heat cook throw it in and it'll self clean. FWIW on L&S I put aluminum foil on mine to keep it from getting gnarly. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Another option is to pick up a pizza pan at the dollar store- one that does not overhang the setter and will fit inside it when the setter is legs up. You can cover the pan with foil for an easy clean up and because the pan has some strength, you can raise it off the setter with some foil balls to keep the drippings from burning. I use a 12" pan for low and slows - airflow not such a big deal and a 10" pan for higher temp indirect cooks to ensure good airflow. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • valois
    valois Posts: 24
    Options
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Geez look at the experience up there - 15k comments between @NPHuskerFL and @Skiddymarker !  Awesome. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @blind99 I heard once you reach 10K the Mother Ship comps a LBGE or is it a macchiato? :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL please let me know!  If they don't come through I'll send you a beer! Or maybe an empty beer bottle depending on how thirsty I happen to be  :o
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Hi heat hi heat hi heat.  get your BGE with platesetter up to ~900F and the next day it'll look like it's new- after you brush the light coating of grey ash off of it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    You already have received great advice. I purchase a huge roll of heavy duty aluminum foil at SAMS which lasts me for years. I have personally seen horrible PS which I wouldn't even consider eating food that was cooked over them. They were GROSS when the piece of foil could have prevented that. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @westernbbq although I love the afterburner effect at 900℉+ all that is needed is about 550℉-700℉ for an hour or so to clean the entire egg PS and all. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    true dat NPHuskerFL, I just like to fire the BGE up to high heat to clean the entire thing inside- the dome, the stone, the platesetter, firebox, everything.  it all looks just like the day I brought it home when new.  Lovin' the minimax btw, two major mobile pizza parties in the last two weeks and the MiniMax has been flawless...