Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a T-Bone and Salad

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
  Today was a double eggin day. The MIL came for lunch and we had partial deboned spatch chicken.  It was good but no pics,so it didn't happen.  

Now for supper.  I had a 1 1/2" thick T-Bone rubbed with SPOG(Very course ground on the salt).  Reverse seared. Put it on the small at 250 with oak & cherry for smoke till it hit 135ish. The color seemed different on this one. More mahogany than usual.  

Pulled and loosely tented it while the egg reached 600ish for a few minutes.   Then seared for 60secs a side both directions. 

And plated with a nice fresh salad and a homemade dressing. 

I have to say that the combination of oak and cherry was awesome on this steak. Kinda had a hint of vanilla to the taste.  Maybe I've not been using enough smoke in the past but I flooded this one with smoke from the beginning, almost to the point I was scared I might over smoke it.  Mrs3969 said, best steak ever!!!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Fine looking steak and salad!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    I know exactly where I'm going next time im feeling under the weather! Awesome steak
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    looks great i have never tried reverse sear always have done my steak at 650 - 700 for 2 min per side then tent.
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That there's a porterhouse! Looking good. Mmmmmmm!
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Great looking steak.!!
    McKinney, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Great looking meal there. The fillet on that T-bone is legit! The fillet on mine always seem to be tiny.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm gonna show my meat cutting ignorance here and ask why is it a porterhouse?  Not doubting you a bit but I bought it as a T Bone.  

analyze adapt overcome

• pgprescott
    Options
    I'm gonna show my meat cutting ignorance here and ask why is it a porterhouse?  Not doubting you a bit but I bought it as a T Bone.  
    If it has a full fillet in addition to the strip it is a porterhouse. The Tbone has a smaller portion of fillet and is cut nearer  the end of the muscle. Nice steak you have there. 
  • Mattman3969
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Great looking meal there. The fillet on that T-bone is legit! The fillet on mine always seem to be tiny.
    Thank you.  I dug through the meat case to find this one. Wasn't happy about a $19 price tag but wanted it anyway.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    If it has a full fillet in addition to the strip it is a porterhouse. The Tbone has a smaller portion of fillet and is cut nearer  the end of the muscle. Nice steak you have there. 
    Then I got lucky!!  Truly one of the better steaks I have cooked.   

analyze adapt overcome

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    With my move in a few short years you have me thinking Kentucky. Whats your zip lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That's some mighty fine looking beef brother. For the record, Porterhouse and T bone are both cut from the same short loin. To be labeled Porterhouse, the fillet must measure 1 & 1/2 inch thick or greater. A T-bone must measure 1/2 inch to 1 & 7/16 thick. This is the only differnce in the two. If these numbers have changed, then I will stand corrected. I haven't kept up with it in years but I feel they are still the same. Again, great looking grub.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    SGH said:
    That's some mighty fine looking beef brother. For the record, Porterhouse and T bone are both cut from the same short loin. To be labeled Porterhouse, the fillet must measure 1 & 1/2 inch thick or greater. A T-bone must measure 1/2 inch to 1 & 7/16 thick. This is the only differnce in the two. If these numbers have changed, then I will stand corrected. I haven't kept up with it in years but I feel they are still the same. Again, great looking grub.
    I'm pretty sure it has to do with the width of the cut parallel to the bone not the thickness, but I'm not a butcher. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    That is one mighty fine steak!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • steventconners20
    Options
    When I buy T bone I always make sure to dig through the case to get the ones with the biggest fillet. Porterhouse are always more expensive per pound so I can save a little and still get the fillet I want. This may be the only upside to buying steak at a supermarket rather than a butcher. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @mattman3969 that's a salad! Way to go buddy! Did you dress it?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Nice lookin' meal.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    According to the Institutional Meat Purchase Specification:Item No. 1173 - Beef Loin, Porterhouse Steak - The steaks shall be prepared from any IMPS short loin item. The maximum width of the tenderloin shall be at least 1.25 inches (3.2 cm) when measured parallel to the length of the back bone.Item No. 1174 - Beef Loin, T- Bone Steak - The steaks shall be prepared from any IMPS short loin item. The maximum width of the tenderloin shall be at least 1⁄2-inch (13 mm) when measured parallel to the length of the back bone.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nailed it! 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Because "annoying inappropriate douchebag that needs to move on" isn't a choice on the list of flags.

just let it go, it's not funny, nobody cares what your point is.  move on please.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Nice looking t-bone!
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    T bone, porterhouse call it what ever you want. Looks damn good! For the record though I would say porterhouse.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa