Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noxious Smell from BGE

Options
So once again, I am adjusting to the learning curve of the BGE. I have really enjoyed cooking on it and find that everything I cook comes out moist. It has definitely been some trial and error, which is to be expected. One thing I noticed last night though was a noxious smell coming from the BGE. 

It smells more chemical-like than charcoal. I used 100% natural lump wood charcoal (Publix Brand). I made sure that the bag said "No petroleum products or chemical additives," and the bag also said it was certified organic. I used the following starter sticks that I bought with the charcoal. I know NOT to use lighter fluid, and assumed these strike-a-fire sticks (see attached picture) were similar to the starter blocks that the retailer had given me when I purchased the BGE. I noticed the smell immediately when the coals got up to around 400-450 degrees. I cooked some burgers and vegetables that came out great, and did not smell or taste like the chemical smell that was present in the grill. However, upon cooking up some dessert on the BGE (cookies baked with indirect heat), the smell was just as pronounced and this time I noticed it in the cookies when eating. 

I heard some people say that the gasket will put off a smell, and I wondered if since my BGE has been used <10 times this might be the case. I am thinking about buying only BGE brand charcoal, and an electric starter to remove other variables from the equation that could be causing the smell. Any thoughts would be appreciated....?

I didn't notice the smell the first couple times I used the egg, which makes me think it might be the different starter sticks I used, but was confused by the fact that the smell only came on after the sticks were all burned up, some 45 odd minutes later.

Comments

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    @tbramse‌ I don't think I'd use those fire starters in my egg .. I use something similar in my fire pit and you can definitely smell a petroleum or chemical smell coming from them ... I now they say they are safe for grilling and such but like I said I wouldn't use it for cooking or starting a fire in my eggs or grills that's just my opinion though

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Im stumped. I would clean the whole egg out an start new. Also check the plate setter for gunk. If you have gunk on it, scrape it clean with putty knife.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Try a different charcoal. 45min later I would think the starter sticks would be long gone. Other here have mentioned that for baking for need a very mild charcoal. Confirm but I think they use Rockwood or Ozark. Im in Toronto and we dont have access to that charcoal.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Rockwood is very neautral. BGE is just Royal Oak in an expensive bag. Same stuff don't waste your money.

+1 on ditching those starters. You can soak a paper towel in vegetable oil and use that if you don't have any other starters.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    No matter what starters I have used there is always a chemical smell

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited January 2015
    Options

I've used BGE starters and recently bought a "Diamond" brand at Publix  much cheaper. 

I've mostly used BGE and Whole Foods Lump, working on my first bag of Rockwood. 

I've not noticed a bad smell. 

One think for sure - Your discussion Title will not become a BGE Tag-line! 

:-c
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    MAPP torch to light no smell. Oily paper towel etc. Starter blocks always seemed to have a smell. I use a torch and haven't had a problem since. Unless of course there is plastic or containment in the lump itself. Had this happen a few times (6 to be exact) with Cowboy. Never had the issue with RW or WGWW. OO is solid too.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I have used those "strike-a-fire" sticks for years.  I break each one into around 5 pieces-one piece for low and slow-three pieces for hot and fast.  Never had any chemical smell or other off-gassing from them.  Of course-by the time I get to the BGE end cook product I may have had enough adult beverages to mask many of my cooking short-falls :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Rockwood is very neautral. BGE is just Royal Oak in an expensive bag. Same stuff don't waste your money. ...
    @theyolksonyou ... Hey Jason, I asked a question about Royal Oak and it's branded derivatives a while back.  Didn't get anyone to say that they had noticed a difference, so stayed quiet. 

With limited data, my son and I have noticed that the Nature Glo (Royal Oak in dress cloths) contains fewer small chunks and not as many pieces that obviously haven't been fully carbonized in the kiln as the Royal Oak bags from Menards. The time from start to a clean smell is also reduced with the Nature Glo.  That's not an endorsement for Nature Glo, but simply a limited observation that could be off base.

@tbramse ... the ceramic will hold smells (folks who bake a lot have an egg dedicated to baking), the smoked on coating will hold smells, and the left over lump can hold the crud you cleaned off the grill.  The folks above have given you good advice ... skip the starter cubes and use another method to start the lump; do a hot cook to burn off any smell that's in the egg now; see if you can find a more neutral lump.  What other lump is available in your area?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ Tom. Never used Nature Glo so certainly can't dispute. Not sure I'd argue with you anyway as you're about as analytical a person I don't know. ;) I've settled in on RW because I like the neutrality and it's fairly local to attain. I'm happy and I'll stay there with maybe an occasional bag of FOGO or OO. I have to order those.

OP. apologies for the sideline there. I use MAPP to light, but there are many ways to skin that cat. Many better than those starters.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rockwood is very neautral. BGE is just Royal Oak in an expensive bag. Same stuff don't waste your money. ...
    @theyolksonyou ... Hey Jason, I asked a question about Royal Oak and it's branded derivatives a while back.  Didn't get anyone to say that they had noticed a difference, so stayed quiet. 

With limited data, my son and I have noticed that the Nature Glo (Royal Oak in dress cloths) contains fewer small chunks and not as many pieces that obviously haven't been fully carbonized in the kiln as the Royal Oak bags from Menards. The time from start to a clean smell is also reduced with the Nature Glo.  That's not an endorsement for Nature Glo, but simply a limited observation that could be off base.

@tbramse ... the ceramic will hold smells (folks who bake a lot have an egg dedicated to baking), the smoked on coating will hold smells, and the left over lump can hold the crud you cleaned off the grill.  The folks above have given you good advice ... skip the starter cubes and use another method to start the lump; do a hot cook to burn off any smell that's in the egg now; see if you can find a more neutral lump.  What other lump is available in your area?

royal oak sells their coal to many others. They are not all the same as there is a pecking order. BGE does in fact get the premium choice of the bunch, as they state. I was told this by one of their competitors who regrettably finds himself further down the pecking order and thus has less desirable product to choose from. I will not argue that there are differences between brands, but All RO is not the same as you have noticed yourself, I believe.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have an egg dedicated to baking as @Jeepster47‌ suggested, I call it an oven and it is inside my kitchen. Lol
  • wkearney99
    Options
    I swear by using my MAPP torch.  During the past few months of cold weather, however, I've gone back to using Stump Chunks (grindings) kindling and some of the smoking wood.  I pick out the 3/8" thick pieces, along with a lump or two of whatever wood I'm using for the smoke.  Then stack up the charcoal (I'm partial to Wicked Good brand) around the kindling.

I start the MAPP torch but dial it back to it's lowest setting, until it's just a flame not a jet of fire.  Then use that to light the stump chunks and an edge of a piece or two of the wood.  Then shut the dome; with the top cap removed and the bottom vent fully open.  Let it get fired up then use a Weber shovel to redistribute the coals.  Put on the daisy-wheel cap and choke the bottom vent to about 1/2" open.  

Meanwhile I've had the plate setter heating up inside, in the oven, set at 300F.  You want to avoid thermal shock on the plate setter.  So it's a good idea to warm it up while you're getting the Egg started.

Put some damp wood on the coals, lay down the plate setter and shut the lid.  Then go get the meat.  In about 5-10 minutes I put the meat into the Egg and let the cook begin!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that all the starters stink but the smell eventually goes away when they burn completely.  One tip is to make sure they have burned out completely before closing the egg.  If you close the egg and choke of the air I have found they will smolder and not burn and stink like crazy.  

I prefer other methods of lighting but the starters will work.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rtbarry
    rtbarry Posts: 33
    Options
    A lot of those starters specifically say, usually in small print, "Do not use to start BBQ or wood cooking fires." I've used them to start firepits and they are oily and stinky. Would never put in egg.

Get a Looftlighter and be done with it! :-D
  • wkearney99
    Options
    If you've got power nearby and don't mind having to hassle with the cord, yeah, a looftlighter is a fantastic accessory.  Me, I don't want to deal with the cord.  So I use the MAPP torch and a FyAir (battery-powered blower).  Works great.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When in doubt, burn it out. Sounds like grease on your plate setter or inside egg to me. Run your egg at 500-600 for 30-60 min or so and all bad smells will be gone. Some people let go as hot as possible but you don't need to get that hot and it's hard on your egg. 500-600'is plenty hot. If you smell something, I'm guessing you see something (white smoke coming out of your egg). Burn it until that smoke runs clear
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I had the same issue so I stopped using the starter blocks... I started dipping a twisted paper towel into vegetable oil and light that - instant fix. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I just want to add that for durability, consistency, and ease of operation, you can't beat a mapp torch, or propane weed burner, neither leaves a scent , flavor, or residue, and egg comes to temp much quicker when you want it to. They are cheap and easy to obtain, any hardware store has either or both.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Try a different charcoal. 45min later I would think the starter sticks would be long gone. Other here have mentioned that for baking for need a very mild charcoal. Confirm but I think they use Rockwood or Ozark. Im in Toronto and we dont have access to that charcoal.
    @Tinyfish Who needs Rockwood or Ozark when we have Maple Leaf?

Options
    The starter sticks are paraffin and sawdust. Lots of white smoke at first, leave the lid open. No harm done to the BGE or the cook in my experience.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @paqman this is my charcoal of choice now. Huge chunks very little small pieces and dust.  The charcoal is very dence, high heat and long burning.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    @Tinyfish where do you get it?

Options
    Ontario gas bbq
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have had a strong, acrid smell from Cowboy lump.  My sister in law claims she has had it from Cowboy as well. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I had a bag of lump from a reputable brand that smelled weird all the way through no matter how long I let it burn clean.  My wife would complain about the gasoline smell.  Could just be that batch was contaminated somehow. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I swear by using my MAPP torch.  During the past few months of cold weather, however, I've gone back to using Stump Chunks (grindings) kindling and some of the smoking wood.  I pick out the 3/8" thick pieces, along with a lump or two of whatever wood I'm using for the smoke.  Then stack up the charcoal (I'm partial to Wicked Good brand) around the kindling.

I start the MAPP torch but dial it back to it's lowest setting, until it's just a flame not a jet of fire.  Then use that to light the stump chunks and an edge of a piece or two of the wood.  Then shut the dome; with the top cap removed and the bottom vent fully open.  Let it get fired up then use a Weber shovel to redistribute the coals.  Put on the daisy-wheel cap and choke the bottom vent to about 1/2" open.  

Meanwhile I've had the plate setter heating up inside, in the oven, set at 300F.  You want to avoid thermal shock on the plate setter.  So it's a good idea to warm it up while you're getting the Egg started.

Put some damp wood on the coals, lay down the plate setter and shut the lid.  Then go get the meat.  In about 5-10 minutes I put the meat into the Egg and let the cook begin!

I don't know I egg at -30 and throw the plate setter on hot coals and never had a problem. Also remove and put on a snow covered table, never any issues.
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Mapp gas torch to start mine also, I use Rockwood and have never had a odor issue.

Gambrills,Maryland

• st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A load of new charcoal will have a petrochemical smell. That's from the 'volatile organic compounds' or VOCs you hear so much about. 'Volatile' in the case doesn't mean it burns. It means that it fumes easily at room temperature. Perfume's smell is due to VOCs too. 

that takes time to be driven off. Some burns off, some is wafted away with the draft. If you open a fresh bag, it will smell quite a bit. Half an hour later the bag will have mellowed a good bit just being open. I'm not saying to air out your charcoal. I'm just illustrating that it is fumes, and that they lessen over time. And most of it is due to the immense surface area of charcoal. Lots of places for the VOCs to accumulate. More outside the lump than in each piece.

All new bags of charcoal will smell. I have used different brands, and they are all essentially the same thing: carbon with un-carbonized stuff left over, whether organic (uncarbonized wood) or not. Some wood doesn't fully carbonize, some stuff is inorganic like silica in the tree.  But cowboy lump (for ex) isn't made from smelly wood while one's pet lump is magically free of it. Varying degrees maybe, but bags vary even across one supplier. It all has VOCs.

Just give it time to burn off when you dump a new load in there. You don't need marathon burn-offs for the following cooks because it will have lost virtually all the VOCs the first cook. 

Is some technically still IN the unburnt leftover lump?  Sure. Minimal though. The evaporation is accelerated by the heat for one thing.

So, if the smell was "oily", petrochemical smelling, it was the VOCs

If it was white billowy smoke and acrid. It was likely the firestarters didnt have enough airflow and they snuffed out, and instead of throwing flame, they smoldered, merely glowing.  If you are set up for a low and slow and shut the lid to hold temps down, the starters often smolder instead of flame. Opening it will usually cause it to flame up, but that makes you nervous about overshooting target temps. Break up the starters. Two or three small pieces are all you need to start a low and slow cook. Keep the lid or vents open and let them flame. They'll start and burn off quickly. Then drop the lid and set vents for cruising speed. 

I personally use a napkin drizzled with a little cooking oil. Enough to make it translucent, not soaked, not dripping. It ain't the oil that burns wells. And it ain't the paper napkin. It's the two together. I have used everything. Nothing else gets all the tick marks for fast, easy, cheap, availablity, and minimal time standing over the egg.  One for a low temp cook. Two for higher. 

If it is a smell of burning, black smoke, new egg, and you have a lot of flame or are at high heat, it can be the adhesive of the gasket. The felt gasket is adhered with nothing more than rubber cement. This is also what they recommend for replacing with a new felt gasket. Super77, which is just aerosolized rubber cement. Heck, if you have contact cement already, no need for the 77.

it can't be anything other than those three options, other than the fact that a new egg might ('might') seem like it has a 'new car smell', but ceramic is inert. There's no paint on the egg (that's glaze, almost literally glass), so it ain't the egg itself. Might be the paint of the bands when they get hot. New paint could get soft I suppose under high heat, and smell a bit.

after all that, what to do?  If the smell is coming from the top chimney, just wait. Give it a half hour or so. Longer if you are at low temps, because low temps means low draft, and the VOCs take longer to be carried off. Like trying to air out a room by opening doors opposite each other. On a windy day, it'll take less time. No wind? (Low temp low draft cook?) takes longer. 

If the smell is not from the chimney, then it's the less-likely new car smell issue. Probably the paint at high heat or something. Never noticed it myself except for the inner edges if the felt burning at high temp, which eventually stopped after a couple high heat cooks. 

FWIW, don't do the horrible "sear and dwell" type of steak cook. Perhaps the shittiest thing ever promoted for the egg. Sure, a steak over charcoal tastes so much better than over gas, that it will taste better than your typical steak. But shutting the egg down and letting your steaks sit in there as the fire snuffs itself and struggles, a literal recipe for disaster. 

Watch a candle. Nice clean fire. Now blow it out. That tiny coal in the wick is struggling to burn. It burns incompletely ('incomplete combustion'). That sooty smoke is the same as what bathes your steak in stink when you choke the fire with the sear-and-dwell method. 

If it's none of those, then charcoal just ain't yer thing
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    A load of new charcoal will have a petrochemical smell. That's from the 'volatile organic compounds' or VOCs you hear so much about. 'Volatile' in the case doesn't mean it burns. It means that it fumes easily at room temperature. Perfume's smell is due to VOCs too. 

that takes time to be driven off. Some burns off, some is wafted away with the draft. If you open a fresh bag, it will smell quite a bit. Half an hour later the bag will have mellowed a good bit just being open. I'm not saying to air out your charcoal. I'm just illustrating that it is fumes, and that they lessen over time. 

All new bags of charcoal will smell. I have used different brands, and they are all essentially the same thing: carbon with un-carbonized stuff left over. Some wood doesn't fully carbonize, some stuff is inorganic like silica in the tree.  But cowboy lump isn't made from smelly wood while one's pet lump is magically free of it. Varying degrees maybe, but bags vary even across one supplier. 

Just give it time to burn off when you dump a new load in there. You don't need marathon burn-offs for the following cooks because it will have lost virtually all the VOCs the first cook. 

Is some technically still IN the unburnt leftover lump?  Sure. Minimal though. The evaporation is accelerated by the heat for one thing.

If the smell was "oily", petrochemical smelling, it was the VOCs

if it was white smoke and acrid. Likely the firestarters didnt have enough airflow and the snuffed out and instead of throwing flame, they smoldered.  If you are set up for a low and slow and shut the lid to hold tempe down, the starters often smolder instead of flame. Opening it will usually cause it to flame up, but that makes you nervous about overshooting target temps. 

I use a napkin drizzled with a little cooking oil. Enough to make it translucent, not soaked, not dripping. It ain't the oil that burns wells. And it ain't the paper napkin. It's the two together. I have used everything. Nothing else gets all the tick marks for fast, easy, cheap, availablity, and minimal time standing over the egg.  

If it is a smell of burning, black smoke, new egg, and you have a lot of flame or are at high heat, it can be the adhesive of the gasket. The felt gasket is adhered with nothing more than rubber cement. This is also what they recommend for replacing with a new felt gasket. Super77. That's nothing more than aerosolized rubber cement. Heck, if you have contact cement already, no need for the 77.

it can't be anything other than those three options, other than the fact that a new egg might (might) seem like it has a 'new car smell', but ceramic is inert. There's no paint on the egg (that's glaze, almost literally glass), so it ain't the egg itself. Might be the paint of the bands when they get hot. New paint could get soft I suppose under high heat, and smell a bit.

after all that, what to do?  If the smell is coming from the top chimney, just wait. Give it a half hour or so. Longer if you are at low temps, because low temps means low draft, and the VOCs take longer to be carried off. Like trying to air out a room by opening doors opposite each other. On a windy day, it'll take less time. No wind? (Low temp low draft cook?) takes longer. 

If the smell is not from the chimney, then it's the less-likely new car smell issue. Probably the paint at high heat or something. Never noticed it myself except for the inner edges if the felt burning at high temp, which eventually stopped after a couple high heat cooks. 

Don't do the horrible "dwell" type of steak cook. Perhaps the shittiest thing ever promoted for the egg. Sure, a steak over charcoal tastes so much better than over gas, that it will taste better than your typical steak. But shutting the egg down and letting your steaks sit in there as the fire snuffs itself and struggles, a literal recipe for disaster. 

Watch a candle. Nice clean fire. Now blow it out. That tiny coal in the wick is struggling to burn. It burns incompletely ('incomplete combustion'). That sooty smoke is the same as what bathes your steak in stink when you choke the fire with the sear-and-dwell method. 

If it's none of those, then charcoal just ain't yer thing
    Nice explanation Nola. Err Stizzike
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013