Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a cooked ham - need advice

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Just bought a fully cooked ham. I would like to low and slow smoke it to 130 -140. Worried about drying it out. Anyone care to offer advice on the mechanics of getting this done on the BGEXL ( Gretchen )?
As always, thank you in advance for your insight.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We have done a few of them.  They come out very good.  They dont dry out. 

Look at Egrets ham for another option on how to cook it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Inject with maple syrup/bourbon night before, right before putting on the cooker, and an hour or so before hitting 140 internal.  A paste rub or glaze would help with creating a bark over the dry outer layer.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Is it spiral or regular?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    they don't dry out any more than heating them in the oven does. most hams are precooked and you are reheating them anyway.

a spiral ham will get a little dry because of the edges.  those are better heated by wrapping in foil, and hitting them at the end with some intense smoke, something flavorful like hickory bark, which gives a lot of flavor in a short time
  • YukonRon
    Options
    225F 2 hours 20 minutes, I pulled at a strong 130F. Let sit until internal was 140F. Glaze was currant, apple, maple, vinegar with a solid spike of brown sugar. Smoked with pecan. Absolutely killer. Served with scalloped potatoes using asiago, Gruyere, and Caramelized onions carrots, and celery. Washed down with a pretty decent Chardonnay, from the killer 2013 in northern Napa. Awesome! 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    I buy ham ends at the local farmers market and smoke them a second time They are great to use in a lot of cooks, ham and eggs, split pea soup,cut up in salads ect .
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    225F 2 hours 20 minutes, I pulled at a strong 130F. Let sit until internal was 140F. Glaze was currant, apple, maple, vinegar with a solid spike of brown sugar. Smoked with pecan. Absolutely killer. Served with scalloped potatoes using asiago, Gruyere, and Caramelized onions carrots, and celery. Washed down with a pretty decent Chardonnay, from the killer 2013 in northern Napa. Awesome! 
    WOW!  I'm now hungry.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thank you for the help. Used a pan with water under the rack on the grid raised with the plate setter. 
    Being a rookie, I spilled some glaze on the plate setter. What is protocol for cleaning that off?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Ask @Mickey He's the king of the naked ham.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    NAKED HAM / SMOKE ONLY

Let me start that for the past 6 years i have only cooked Egerts Ham (this is an outstanding ham Egged on the BGE). 

A short while ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only.  Looking at other ways to do a ham w/o the burbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, NO ANYTHING. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both lots of Sugar Maple and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 135. I did score the ham deep. Cooked indirect.
    New item: just did spiral and worked out fine.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    Options
    I am a new owner of a BGE.You have been recommended as a source for guidance on my rookie mistake while smoking a ham.
    The ham came out beautiful, but some of the glaze spilled onto the plate setter.
    My question is how do I clean that off?
    any help you may offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Egg a pizza.  
    You will burn off the glaze during the preheat. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I am a new owner of a BGE.You have been recommended as a source for guidance on my rookie mistake while smoking a ham.
    The ham came out beautiful, but some of the glaze spilled onto the plate setter.
    My question is how do I clean that off?
    any help you may offer would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    What Focker said. Just turn it over and Fire up. 
    Note I use a pan with salt for a drip pan. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Looks good YukonRon
    Gambrills,Maryland