Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in or out

Options
Been comparing rib eye full racks at RD they have choice angus bone in $8.52 vrs Prime boneless rib eye at costco $9.75.
Price is almost equal, I usually always go bone in on all meats.  But wouldn't the prime be a better cut?
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I prefer boneless on the Rib Roast. I like the fact you can get a nice layer of flavor with your dry rub all the way around each slice once you trim off fat.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    IMO. Always Prime over Choice and Bone over No Bone.  But I would take bone choice over prime no-bone. I like a bone in my cooks. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I got the Superior Angus boneless ribeye roast at RD, and I am super pleased with it.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Man, I can't contribute to this as an adult. 
    These older guys really cherish their wood and their bones. Very rare for them. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When the field that wide open I don't think you can go wrong.  Bone in or out.  Both will be pleasing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Man, I can't contribute to this as an adult. 
    or?!

I thought it was supposed to be "and", and repeated multiple times.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I always go bone in, dog loves it after me as well!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok this is getting worse plus I'm drinking. 
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Ok this is getting worse plus I'm drinking. 
    C'mon man!!!! LOL!!!! St.Patty's cocktails!!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The bone in versus bone out debate is akin to the Chevy vs Ford or reverse flow vs direct fired smokers debate. It's simply a personal choice. That said, I drive a Chevy, cook on a reverse flow unit and buy bone in when its a option. There is just something special about eating red, bloody, near raw meat off the bone. Makes me feel almost animalistic.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm crying reading this.  Everyone's pitching batting practice tonight.
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I've heard great things about the prime meat at Costco, supposedly worth the extra $
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Even the lowly choice and select grades of ribeye are tender.  The prime will have more fat, which is delicious of course, but has more of a caloric impact on your diet.  The bone does not add any flavor on cuts that are in the steak category and cooked to low temperatures.  Might add some mental deliciousness as we eat with our eyes - think cowboy ribeye. 
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    I'm surprised no woman have chimed in yet. A survey of single and married woman was taken,  here are the results. Single women prefer bone in and married woman prefer no bone....go figure.
    Bone in doesn't pair well with wedding cake apparently. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @Sookie you have a good sense of humor.....
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Mickey said:
    IMO. Always Prime over Choice and Bone over No Bone.  But I would take bone choice over prime no-bone. I like a bone in my cooks. 

Yes!!!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Buy both and do a side by side comparison
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse