Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on Gold Kevlar HiQue Gasket

Options
I have to replace the gasket on my Red Big Joe this weekend.  I thought I would check with you guys for an unbiased opinion of the Gold HIQue Kevlar Nomex Gasket.  I felt I would get too much bais to the KJ gasket on the other forums.  I want an honest opinion about the Gold HiQue Gaskets. 

I will be talking the Kamado to 900F for self clean.  How are the HiQue Gold Standard Kevlar reinforced gaskets holding up during high temp cooks?   Do they hold-up on high-temp cooks?
2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    no idea, save some $ and get a Rutland from @RRP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    900 degrees dome seems to be the failure point on every self adhesive gasket ive used. its not so much the gasket but the adhesive. i havent tried this gasket though. if you do those high temps alot the only gasket ive had success with is rutland with a fresh batch of rutland cement
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My opinion is... FORTY BUCKS?!!!

I can buy a rutland locally for $6. So far, it has lasted over 5 years and performs like new. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    +1 Rutland and if you go through @RRP you'll be sure to get the recommended sealant, too.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    As other stated call Rutland Ron Pratt @RRP
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    The KJ OEM handles the 900F - 1000F Heat well.  It was a ice storm and a frozen lid on the Kamado that killed this gasket.  The 1/8 inch thick KJ gaskets biggest enemy is not the heat but wear and tear.  Thining out of the gasket over time.  

I have been thinkng about a Cotronics gasket.  I'm not keen on the fiberglass in the Rutland gaskets.  I think the spun ceramic fibers are a safer option.  I think the taped gaskets have issues with pulling off.  I'm sure a cotronic with an ultra Coper would hold-up on the Joe.  I'm doubtful I'd make any friends on the other boards using a Cotronics gasket gasket on the Joe.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I can't speak for any of the other gaskets but the Rutland is a real game changer. For the record after I installed the Rutland on my large, I stuck a weed burner in the bottom vent and ran the egg up to 1,500 degrees and held it there for a little or 30 minutes just to test the gasket. The Rutland did not blink. That was almost a year ago and I have logged numerous high heat cooks on the egg since. The Rutland still hasn't blinked. I don't know what more you could ask from a gasket. Also Unit #1 came with a Rutland factory installed around the fire box door and the cooking chamber door. They both still look brand new. Unit #1 is a year old this month. In my opinion, one would be hard pressed to do any better than the Rutland. Contact @RRP and he will hook you up. His included instructions and advice is priceless. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I didn't realize Hi-Que even made gaskets; do you have a link?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Botch said:
    Amazon link in above post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Botch said:
    http://bit.ly/1NrZxPM

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options

Kevlar and Nomex are aramid fibers and will stand up to heat for a while and won't melt; however, they will still char and break down.  I can burn up a old nomex flight suit in no time.

A Cotronics gasket is woven ceramic.  Good up to 1500F in direct flame.  You can go nuclear, or wok with the lid open, no worries.  I have been running them on all three BGEs for 4-5 yrs.  They are still in perfect shape and have never frozen shut (as they don't absorb water.)  I've used UltraCopper on two, and Super77 on the other--both work well.

I don't know anything about the fiberglass one, but people seem to like it.  I'm happy with the Cotronics as are all the customers I have sold them too.

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options

Kevlar and Nomex are aramid fibers and will stand up to heat for a while and won't melt; however, they will still char and break down.  I can burn up a old nomex flight suit in no time.

A Cotronics gasket is woven ceramic.  Good up to 1500F in direct flame.  You can go nuclear, or wok with the lid open, no worries.  I have been running them on all three BGEs for 4-5 yrs.  They are still in perfect shape and have never frozen shut (as they don't absorb water.)  I've used UltraCopper on two, and Super77 on the other--both work well.

I don't know anything about the fiberglass one, but people seem to like it.  I'm happy with the Cotronics as are all the customers I have sold them too.

I know with the Joe that I'l be stuck having to cut down the 2 inch gasket to fit the 1 and 1/4 inch rim.  The Egg is a lot easier since it's 1 inch on the nose. 

I'm getting tired of changing KJ gaskets every two years.   They're just not holding-up to the harsh Canadian winters.   The next Gasket changes will be Cotronics Gaskets.