Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless meat thermometer

Options
Any recommendations? I was planning on purchasing the Maverick Et-733 but wanted to get some opinions from all of you. 

Comments

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    I have the Igrill 2 and the mini. Works for me. Will let you try them if you want
  • Jmorabito25
    Options
    How is the battery life on the igrill?
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Don't know. Haven't had to change it yet
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Same here, iGrill2 & Mini
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I don't know what the range of the igrill Bluetooth but take into consideration. I have a maverick 732. Battery life has been good for me. No experience with 733
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    Options
    I have the Maverick 732 use it weekly for over a year never changed the batteries yet
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    733 works great and has good range

2 cons:  if your turn the transmitter on before the receiver, they don't pair up correctly some times and it sucks the battery. Turn off is the same.

not the easiest to program the first few times till you get used to it. 

Neither er is a big deal. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    733 works great and has good range

2 cons:  if your turn the transmitter on before the receiver, they don't pair up correctly some times and it sucks the battery. Turn off is the same.

not the easiest to program the first few times till you get used to it. 

Neither er is a big deal. 
    Have noticed this with the 733, seemed to be a power hog - I use rechargeable so not really a big deal. Turn on the transmitter first, then the receiver. 
    I still use the timer on my 732 - and I've noticed that both my 732 and 733 receivers will pair at the same time with the 733 transmitter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Have igrill. What I like about it most is that it links via Bluetooth to your phone. I don't want to have to carry something else around to monitor a cook.  I do believe maverick is coming out with something similar soon, 735. 

I really like the igrill overall and if had the option to buy all over with the knowledge of experience, I would buy the igrill again in a heartbeat. The ability to prob multiple points on a large cook (turkey) or multiple items (steaks) is a huge value to me. From what I gather the probs are limited with other devices. Also the App is very easy to set up cooks, range temp or just temp alarm. I really think the app puts the product over the top for me.

A downside is that Bluetooth connectivity is stated on their web 150' LoS. I have a glass wall that looks out to the patio where the egg sits so that is easy for me. But if I am upstairs or basement and the Bluetooth is trying to transmit through walls or concrete then that can be a problem. 

Think about where you will be using it and where you will be. My dad was looking into it for his Traeger but I ended up discouraging the igrill because I worried that where he wanted to be would be too far from the cooker to work. Plus having to go through exterior walls of a house or shop limits in distance even further.

I am sure all the devices are good and have their own advantages/disadvantages. Figure out howvyou want to use it, where you use it and how you want to get the information on the cook either by phone or other device. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • Jmorabito25
    Options
    Does the standard igrill allow for 2 probes?
  • Eggerty
    Options
    Igrill allows for 4 probes. I use 3 for what I am cooking and the 4th is the grate temp probe.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • Eggerty
    Options
    Also I would not use this as my main temp prob as these can have a variance in accuracy. I would always recommend a thermapen then expand into wireless temp probes for lazyine...I mean convenience...
    LBGE - Nov/'14