Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many break-in cycles before first cook?

Options
How long does it take to cure the gasket?

Comments

• mick7607
    mick7607 Posts: 85
    Options
    My first three cooks stayed around 300-350 (chicken, ribs, pork loin) then I cranked her up to about 700 for that big ol' ribeye. Haven't had a problem with my gasket.
    Laurens,SC
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I say 3 or 4 hours at 350 or less and you can cook during this time, it does not impact the food. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I did a L&S Brisky on the LBGE. The MM's first was a Chucky. I don't think it matters much unless you just go nuts and start straight up with a bunch of inferno searing or high temp pizzas. Just cook on it and enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I did all that low temp crap at first. Did no good whatsoever. The OEM felt gasket started to fail the very first time I went above 350 and was gone in less than two months. 

Replaced it with a Rutland which needed 24 hours for the Permatex Ultra Copper to cure. That was 5 years and many 700+ cooks ago. Still like new. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I did all that low temp crap at first. Did no good whatsoever. The OEM felt gasket started to fail the very first time I went above 350 and was gone in less than two months. 

Replaced it with a Rutland which needed 24 hours for the Permatex Ultra Copper to cure. That was 5 years and many 700+ cooks ago. Still like new. 
    Agreed.  The original gasket will be toast soon.  Don't bother trying to save it.  Cook away!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Newer eggs have a better gasket, that will last significantly longer than the older style. The caution to keep the temp down on the first few cooks is not to protect the gasket, but rather to set the adhesive that holds the gasket in place. You can definitely cook food on your first few forays, just choose something that can go at under 350 or so. Lots of options for some excellent Q. look up Spatchcock chicken, turbo (or L&S) ribs, pork butt, fish, etc. Be attentive to the temperature - work up to the maximum slowly, as it is hard to get the temp down once you overshoot.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    First thing I did with all of mine was to scrape the factory gasket off and install Rutland's.  

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE