Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Egg Club Question

Options
2»

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have a large and love it, I just added a joe jr,  I think that we will use the smaller grill a lot of the time, quicker to fire up, uses less lump and the quality of cook is just the same.

@NPHUskerFL. I love the cart as well, any concerns about it rusting?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    In my signature. LBGE & MM couldn't be happier with this combo. 

NPHuskerFL said:
    In my signature. LBGE & MM couldn't be happier with this combo. 

NPHUSKERFL where did you get the cart the MM is on?
    Would that be bad smoke or good smoke? It looks like it is blue (good) but lots of it (bad)  LOL  =))

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @GlennM I didn't see a need to build out or buy another SS cart for the MM. When I'm not using it I roll it into the lanai so there's minimal outdoor exposure except when it's in use (which is a lot ;) ). The chrome plating seems to be of decent quality and it serves its purpose. 
    Edit: The smoke was bad. I had just lit it with my torch. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL   Is this the same cart?  I also love the gifs, how do you do them?

http://www.staples.ca/en/Seville-Classics-3-Shelf-Ultra-Zinc-Commercial-Utility-Cart/product_1294179_2-CA_1_20001?externalize=certona

and to not hijack the thread! I love the large/mini combination!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I have a Large and an XL, perfect combination for me. The wife and I both work 50 hours or so each week, so we tend to cook all of the proteins on the weekend  to make meal time easier during the week. 

I do do plan to add a MM in the near future for when we just want to do a couple of burgers, etc. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • chick533
    chick533 Posts: 50
    Options
    XL and medium. Medium for the 2 of us handles most cooks. Family comes over XL and medium for veggies or baking. Medium 2" larger than small and only $100 more. It only made sense
    2XLBGE, Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini, 36" Blackstone
    Raymore, MO
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Depending on your space and budget, I would get two Large Eggs and a Mini Egg.  The Mini is great for simple, 2-person meals.  It doesn't take up much space and requires few accessories.  Two Large Eggs gives you a considerable amount of flexibility for larger cooks and your accessories are interchangeable.  Looks nice too in an outdoor kitchen setting.

Spring "Fire 'em All Up" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• EggSpinner
    Options
    Another vote for XL and Med.  Perfect combo for family of four.  Medium sees most of the action during the week and the XL for pizza or wok cooks and on weekends for larger cooks.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Lit said:
    Xl and small or XL and MM. If you really wanted portable XL and mini.
    +1 with @Lit.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have 2 larges, a small, and a mini knockoff from vision grills. have had the 2 larges together but now have them separated by 107 miles, have had the small and large combo for years and years but found i used the large 99 percent of the time so that small now sits at a friends lake house. now have the mini and large and it seems to be perfect for me. i can cook twenty something wings on a mini and 40 pounds of meat on a large, seems like plenty of grill space to me =) those minis are lump misers, unbelievable what can be cooked from the small pieces from the bottom of a bag
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    those minis are lump misers, unbelievable what can be cooked from the small pieces from the bottom of a bag
    Agreed. The mini is a a$$ kicking machine. The small amount of lump consumption for small cooks is huge. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thumper169
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys!!!   I have an XL and a medium but I was thinking of selling the medium and going with a MM.  We're about to build a new outdoor kitchen this spring and I've been a little concerned on the set up.  My list of current items are

Xl
     Medium Egg
     2 burner SS  top with cover
     warming oven
     sink with hot water
     mini fridge
     Plenty of storage and drawers
     plenty of elec outlets
     lots of lighting
      And maybe an ice maker

anything must have I'm forgetting? 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Ok, thanks guys!!!   I have an XL and a medium but I was thinking of selling the medium and going with a MM.  We're about to build a new outdoor kitchen this spring and I've been a little concerned on the set up.  My list of current items are

Xl
     Medium Egg
     warming oven
     sink with hot water
     mini fridge
     plenty of elec outlets
     lots of lighting
      And maybe an ice maker

How about directions to your house?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Um, BAR

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I only have one and when I buy another, it will go to my 2nd home, so in effect, I will have one still, whether I'm at home #1 or home #2.  However, if I was to own 2 in one place, I would look at what is the largest one I think I would ever need to use.  I don't tend to throw parties, so a Turkey is my largest hunk o'meat.  A large would work, unless I wanted to make large size pizzas and then maybe the XL.  And while there is the advantage of 2 the same size being able to share parts, I would probably decide to get a smaller 2nd one that would see more use when cooking just for 2 or 3.  But even then, I've looked at the different sizes and unless you want it to be portable (take it with you camping or a picnic at the beach etc), I would be more inclined to get the medium as it still has more accessories and is big enough for slightly larger cooks like a bunch of chicken wings for a small superbowl party.

Anyway, my recommendation is to think long & hard what you plan on using 2 eggs for and make your decision based on how you want to use them.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Thumper169
    Thumper169 Posts: 88
    edited March 2015
    Options

Xl
     Medium Egg
     warming oven
     sink with hot water
     mini fridge
     plenty of elec outlets
     lots of lighting
      And maybe an ice maker

How about directions to your house?

Right next door to the old crabby butthead!!   Easy to find :) 

Maybe he's crabby and a butthead because he doesn't like open headers on a rat rod outside his bedroom window at 5 am doing burnouts, I'm really undecided on that one  still 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

Xl
     Medium Egg
     warming oven
     sink with hot water
     mini fridge
     plenty of elec outlets
     lots of lighting
      And maybe an ice maker

I would just settle for 2 eggs and more prep area.  I won't be doing water or electric when I do mine.  Going to  keep it simple.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Draft beer setup!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    As a side note the thing that has surprised me the most in these replies have been the number of votes for a medium egg! Of all the sizes the medium seems to be the last kid selected and sometimes really slammed! While I love my medium for baking only I'm not sure I would have bought it, but it was a birthday gift from my wife. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Just got the MM to go with my large.  Really excited about being able to do two cooks at the same time.  Need a new table now.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    Have 5 kids. XL at home, L at hunting camp. Prefer XL. Need to get a medium
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    RRP said:
    As a side note the thing that has surprised me the most in these replies have been the number of votes for a medium egg! Of all the sizes the medium seems to be the last kid selected and sometimes really slammed! While I love my medium for baking only I'm not sure I would have bought it, but it was a birthday gift from my wife. 
    Medium is my planned sibling for my XL.  Why do you see it as the red-headed step child?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    RRP said:
    I am shocked by this too. I have used my brother and father in laws medium numerous times. While any egg is nice, it would be my last choice of all of them. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    RRP said:
    Medium is my planned sibling for my XL.  Why do you see it as the red-headed step child?
    The lack of accessories for one!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Chubbs, my comment went into moderation :(

In short, what accessories would I miss?  I want a Woo2, a stone and plan to use it for sides and burgers when cooking for just a few people or during the week.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Thumper169
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    RRP said:
    The lack of accessories for one!

We be going to fix Dat Prublem realz soonz!!!    Let's say their are a couple more med. accessories fabbed up on the table right now.. Still early yet but their coming.. 
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have a large and a mini. Could not be happier. The mini gets all the small everyday cooks and the large gets the bigger low and slow cooks. Let me add this. I will always have a mini no matter how many of the other eggs I might have. The mini is just a bad a$$ searing machine and a absolute joy to cook on. My only regret about the mini is that I did not buy one years ago. If I did not have numerous other smokers in my arsenal, I would probably go with a XLarge and a mini. As it is, the large and the mini combo serve me very well. 

What he said..i have the same set up

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI