Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg - Dome slid back. Very Sad! PLEASE HELP!!!

Options
Hey everyone, I bought the XL egg in December 2014 pre built and delivered to my house. (about 3 months ago). I have been making Pizza's and some slow cooking on it. Just today, I noticed that the dome is pushed back. I looked at the screws that are on the side to see if there is any wiggle room to bring the dome to the front but nothing. I read on the BGE site that they do warranty all the metal components 3 for 5 years. Has anyone had to deal with this? I will include pictures of my issue. 

I am wondering, does anyone have experience with this and do the BGE company actually fix this? 

"METAL COMPONENTS: Metal, Stainless Steel and Cast Iron components of the EGG (including the metal bands, hinge mechanism, dual function metal top, cooking grid, fire grate and draft door) carry a Limited Five (5) Year Warranty to the original purchaser."

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    There are a lot of threads on this recently. @RRP is the resident dome alignment and gasket guy. He may have his directions saved that he can just copy and paste in here. If not I will answer when I have more time tonight
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Buzilo
    Buzilo Posts: 185
    Options
    Thanks, any help would be appreciated. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is pretty common and no big deal. You just need to loosen all the bands, seat the dome properly and re tighten. It can help to have some pressure on the dome so it stays in place when you re tighten. This is pretty basic stuff and nothing to worry about. New eggs take some time to settle in and many shops don't do the best job of setting them up right. The bands move around (especially during pizza cooks) so this should be a quick fix with a band adjustment. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Can you be little more specific? I know every size egg has a different setup. What do I need to do for the XL? Is there a step by step perhaps that someone else might have done and posted? Tks. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Man I just went and looked at my XL and its starting to do the same thing. I hated my large cause I could never get it to straighten back out and I kept the XL because the band had a little adjustment. If my XL starts doing this and I can't get it realigned all my eggs are going on CL. This band crap needs to be addressed by corporate.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    I know, today when I noticed it I thought to myself, I paid 2500 dollars and I love the cooking but I would have paid another 50 dollars for better more heat resistant material to go with the EGG. Now I have to figure this out. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    I know, today when I noticed it I thought to myself, I paid 2500 dollars and I love the cooking but I would have paid another 50 dollars for better more heat resistant material to go with the EGG. Now I have to figure this out. 
    WHOA!!! You paid $2,500 for your XL? At that price get your dealer there to solve your problem! There are some home remedies, but at that price that problem should be your dealer's problem to deal with not yours! BTW I did send you a PM.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Yes, that was the price. Here in Canada. I did reach out to the dealer and they are really nice. I am waiting for him to let me know what he can do but I figured I would come here to find out about this issue. Yes, it was around 3k with everything I bought including accessories etc... 
  • Thumper169
    Options
    My XL has done this as well but it's not enough I'm getting butt hurt over it. It cooks just fine lol but I'll readjust it tonight just to see what's involved. 
      I know we pay good money for these but understand anything made with steel will warp and move around during high heat cooks regardless... The more metal means more room for tweaking itself during high heat runs thus the reasoning the bigger units move around more.   Don't sweat the small things in life guys!!!!  It's to short,,  if your cooking on an Egg odds are your not hurting to dang bad so take it easy brothers n sisters, enjoy it while your hear!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    At this point and as new as your gg is and what you paid for it then I still say this is HIS problem and not yours! There is a chance that the band was not properly installed and has since gotten bent...again a dealer issue since you bought it assembled. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Hey Thumper i totally get what your saying... I'm just implying that they should consider using something that can take the heat or thicker steel. My issue is that the underbite is not small and the gasket is 60% burnt. It's only been 3 months. If I continue cooking this way I will be replacing a gasket every 3 months. 
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Well my dealings with this dealer have been really good. I believe he will address the issue and help. I guess I will just have to wait and see. 
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Like I said I'm just very sad this happened so soon. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Opps... picture in wrong spot.

Read the on line assembly instructions for the XL on BGE they will help. They are very specific on the spacing between the two bands at 2". Read steps 3 to 8 (I believe) it should walk you through it. If the bands are to far apart or to close together it will cause over or underbite.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Tinyfish, I didn't put it together, the dealer did. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Tinyfish, I didn't put it together, the dealer did. 

Dealer put mine together too....wrong.  I fixed it myself.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I put mine together and it was lined up. I adjusted it once since but mine are slid all the way forward like the OP now and I have an under bite again with no more adjustment now. I don't think my XL has ever been over 350 degrees cause I have enough other options to grill on. I know the under bite doesn't affect cooking but it looks like a cheap kamado knockoff not a BGE.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    I see. I rather not mess with it. The XL is really heavy and I don't want to cause damage which may result in warranty issues. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    @Buzilo no worries. I would still read the info this way you can watch/instruct your dealer on the steps needed to correct it. 

I never had to lift the dome off to make the adjustment.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Exactly! I hate to keep going back to the price point but for one of the most if not the most expensive ceramic grills, they should use better or thicker material. 
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Sorry everyone just venting. I still love the eg just don't like this situation I'm going through. I feel like my baby is sick and needs to get better. 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @Buzilo, Did you receive any assembly instructions when the XL was delivered? The dealer assembled my XL & left all info that was in the original carton. Warranty info, Assembly info, even a catalog/cookbook.
    If so, look through it and point out to your dealer where the problem may be.
    I have XL assembly instructions in a pdf file. Took it from the Mothership's website. 
    Good luck.

BTW=I've had my XL for 15 months & have had a small underbite (1/8" to 1/4") for about 12 months. Just haven't taken the time to adjust it. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Buzilo
    Options
    I did recover the cataloge. I registered online for my warranty and downloaded the instruction on the mothership site as well. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    Not sure what can be done but the more knowledge you have the better off you are. Once you have it fixed keep checking the bands to make sure their tight. Dont be afraid to tighten them nice and tight. By spec its 125in/pounds of torque. 

Are you near Toronto?
  • Buzilo
    Options
    I am in whitby. Brooklin. 
  • Tinyfish
    Options
    I'm in woodbridge if we were closer I would offer my assistance for future issues.
  • Buzilo
    Options