Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Virgin

Options
THEBuckeye
THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
I have yet to take on a brisket with my Large Egg but drool each time I see the pics from brisket cooks. It's just me and SWMBO so a 16 hour 16 pound overnight packer are not in my immediate future. That said, I want to give it a go. I'm not a digi-cue or maverick guy (yet) and happy to light the egg at 6AM but not 11PM.

And, given there are many new forum members, can you brisket Eggsperts give us a brisket 101 Game Plan? Assume we're decent Eggers (ribs, butts, spatchcocks, reverse sears, pizza) but complete brisket rookies.

Thanks! Look forward to the info. 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Buckeye, being at work I don't have the time to type it up. That said, if you don't find the answer that you are looking for, feel free to call me after 7:00pm any night of the week. I will gladly share the little that I know while driving home. #228-627-5400. Name is Scottie. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    No claims to be a brisket eggspert but I will share what works for me on long duration (over-night) cooks.  I don't run with any controller.  I will generally load the LBGE well into the fire ring and light a good two hours or more before loading up the target meat.  Get the BGE stable (no vent changes for at least an hour) at around 250-280*F on the calibrated dome thermo.  Load the packer brisket (indirect setup).  Make sure the BGE returns to the original temp.  Then time for some sleep.  I will wake up at least once during the night and check the temp.  Let it run and see where I am the following AM. Adjust as needed to finish.
    Of late I have been seeing around 1hr/lb at the above temps.  When finished, either let it cool a bit or FTC til ready to eat.  I'm sure more will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    @travisstrick boils his :sick:  I kid I kid. I am almost the exact same as @lousubcap but have probably done 1/20th of the briskets he has so nothing more to add. Just mainly wanted to point out that @travisstrick boils his
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    I'm thinking a smallish flat to start! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I cooked a 8-9lb  brisket a couple weekends ago for week day dinners. Put it on at 5:30am and it took about 16 hours. Use your favorite rub or just salt and pepper.  Cook indirect at 225f to 275f dome temp. Probe for tenderness(probing butter feel) in the thickest part of the flat starting at internal temp of 195f. That's the simple basics. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No reason to make it more complicated or over think it.
    Find a 6-8 lbr (or the smallest you can find), and the best grade meat you can find, rub it well with salt and pepper (if you like a little heat - add some cayenne pepper), put on a 225-250 egg with a few chunks of oak, hickory or cherry or any combination, and you are set. If you can cook a butt you can do a brisket. Brisket is done when it feels like a done butt.
    You have been on here a lot - you have read the posts. Just try a chunk of meat and do it. It will be great! ;)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Light at 6 am. Guessing dinner to be around 5-8 pm so that leaves a healthy window to get it to a sexy jiggle.  you've been here long enough to see probably a thousand brisket threads. But as requested brisket 101. First trim brisket to about a quarter inch of fat throughout & remove/cut out the hard deckle as it won't render out during the cooking process. Use your preferred rub and apply liberally. Personally I prefer a 50/50 S&P and nothing else (it doesn't need it ). Make sure the egg is clean so airflow doesn't become an issue mid stream. Load the egg with lump & Oak Chunks to the point it almost touches the PS. And ideally have the largest lump at the bottom for the best airflow (if you forget this it's not a deal breaker). Light the pit dead center in one spot only and let the fire become somewhat established. Once the fire is established put in the PS (one leg of the PS should be dead center of the hinge area to help deflect the hottest of the radiant heat) or diverter and let it heat naturally with all the other ceramics. Look and smell for good smoke and begin dialing in the target temp I like 235℉. Once you have your temp stabilized put in the brisket. I go fat cap down and always have the point in the back toward the hinge section/flat toward the Pit Master. The pit temp will almost immediately drop because of the cold brisket...not to worry the temp will come back. If you have to adjust make miniscule adjustments to avoid huge temp fluctuations. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Checking temp on the brisket? Check at the thickest part of the flat NOT POINT but the key indicator it's done is a sexy jiggle and no resistance when you probe it with your Thermapen. Cooking more for feel than temp. Then slice that bad boy up. Enjoy. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great post Mr Husker. Only thing I can add is to trim the fat off of the point muscle so you get some bark for the burnt ends, and leave all the fat on under the flat. I think it is also best to trim all silver skin and fat from the top of the flat.  Cook fat down, and ride it through. Excellent points about going by feel instead of temperature. There is no magic number. Your temp of 235 is great for the EGG.

Also, I gotta say, BGE's Cosmic Cow is infinitely better than salt and pepper on a brisket :)

Happy brisketeering!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    @THEBuckeye-since you mention a flat and @Chubbs mentions the Travis method-here's the link:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1 This method has received great reviews for cooking flats.  BTW-@Travis has moved on from this and has won a few brisket comps since then. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Nice tip from @NPHuskerFL for placement of the plate setter.  We all know that the back part of the egg is the hot spot, but I never thought about positioning the plate setter to mitigate the heat.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Great thread/post, I cook mostly for 4 to 8 people and wonder is smoking a flat worth it or is a packer the only real way to go? I have only done flats.

PS I have yet to even come close to nailing a flat just ask my wife, I thought the handful I have done were pretty good but she has shared they have been her least favorite meals off the egg and she really does like the BGE food.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Grillmagic For a group that size do yourself a favor and do a whole packer. There is nothing wrong with a flat but, the point is the best!  Not to mention you'll pay close to or more than 2x what a packer is per # (varies regionally). I cook for 4 most of the time and any leftovers are quickly vac saved, labeled and frozen for later use in future meals (@EggObsessed brisket chili is pure money using leftovers. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    @Grillmagic For a group that size do yourself a favor and do a whole packer. There is nothing wrong with a flat but, the point is the best!  Not to mention you'll pay close to or more than 2x what a packer is per # (varies regionally). I cook for 4 most of the time and any leftovers are quickly vac saved, labeled and frozen for later use in future meals (@EggObsessed brisket chili is pure money using leftovers. 
    Thanks for your reply, I will search for a small (11/13 pound packer) we only have SAMS here so no prime. I need a home run!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Hats off to all you guys.  Unbelievably helpful.  I hope to meet many of you in person at an eggfest someday.
    Phoenix 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    You do not need prime, choice is good enough. I hope you have a meat themp., start checking at 195 and keep cooking until it probes like buttar. Check naked whiz for more info. I have had briskets that were done in an hour per pound and others that were over two hours per pound. Cook until it reaches the temp not the time. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    And the Egghead forum comes through again.  Nothing I can add that hasn't already been covered.
    Most importantly, just give it a go.  You learn from experience.  Absolute worse case scenario is you have brisket meat for chili, baked beans, etc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bill37 said:
    You do not need prime, choice is good enough. I hope you have a meat themp., start checking at 195 and keep cooking until it probes like buttuh. Check naked whiz for more info. I have had briskets that were done in an hour per pound and others that were over two hours per pound. Cook until it reaches the temp not the time. 

Start checking around 195℉ for like buttuh on Choice and Prime cuts. On Wagyu (Kobe) you may be at buttuh by 185℉
    Each brisket IS different. Have fun with it. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Don't be shy about cooking a decent sized packer for two. It doesn't last as long as you think. 
  • skellis614
    Options
    This was great advice for me a while back in your place. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138317/turbo-beef-brisket/p1
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Don't be shy about cooking a decent sized packer for two. It doesn't last as long as you think. 
    Also make excellent chili!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options

Two :confused: 
    Yes indeed ;)

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Like @NPHuskerFL said, go ahead and do a packer if you can find one. Flats are any where from 5-9 bucks a pound around me where you can get a packer for half that depending on quality of the meat. I'd say the more difficult thing for a first timer doing a packer is figuring out where the point and the flat separate as opposed to whether or not it's done.  Especially someone with as much experience as yourself. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I (and I'm sure others) appreciate the info and advice. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Yes sir. Had some Salado after party chili last night.....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

@NPHuskerFL ... is that a picture of two packers or one packer cut in half?  The picture got me to thinking ... not always a good idea.  What if you cut a packer in half and placed the point in the top rack (where it's hotter) and the flat on the lower rack (where it's cooler) to smoke it.  Would that help bring the two parts of the packer to the finish line at the same time?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeepster47 That is two full packers. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL ... okay, that's the answer to the first question.  What about the second part?  Dumb idea?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Jeepster47 I wouldn't cut them. But, then again I'm not a Texan. This is not an uncommon thing to do there. But, if you do it you want to separate them (not merely cutting the brisket in half). 

BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket: http://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Good video using Franklin style on a BGE. 
    Brisket Recipe - Franklin's BBQ Style - Big Meat Sunday: http://youtu.be/h6HnCINENX0
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm thinking a smallish flat to start! 

Just my $.02 but I would buy a packer.  I haven't had great luck with flats.  The problem I have found is that if you buy a flat it has been completely trimmed of all fat.  It is hard to get it tender.  Smoke the whole packer and plan to have leftovers.  You can use it to make some awesome chili or just some sammiches.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Everything I do (and have learned from these guys) has been shared except one thing... Sit back and relax! Enjoy the cook and don't stress over it. You will have delicious eats at the end. Unless your guests are comp cooks or accomplished in bbq, they will think your brisket is fantastic. 

Oh, and get a packer. There is no such thing as too much brisket. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!