Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Virgin

Options
2»

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Virgin no more. Cooking for 1 while SHMBO is taking care of her Mom in Ohio for several days. I decided to say screw it, let's cook a brisket - a Virgin brisket. 

Whole Foods cut me 4.3 pounds of the point. I couldn't decide whether to start the cook at noon and hope to eat by 7, or, start sooner on the day, or, cut the point in half, cook half and freeze half. I thought cooking half would result in a shorter cook. 

One I cut it, though not quite in "half" and trimmed more fat (but not the cap) I said, screw it (again), let's season these up and start cooking. I used Oakwood BBQ Competition Beef and pork rub, some hickory and cheery, Rockwood lump. 

I am expecting a 6 hour cook? but really have no clue. I'm going to let it ride for 4 hours or so and check it. My best weapons are a thermopop, time and hope. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Good luck!
    NOLA
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you decide to go with a flat, here is another option that turned out really good for me. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141803/i-might-be-catching-on-to-this-cooking-brisket-flats#latest It is also just the wife and I. So if I can get a packer, I do. Vacuum seal the left overs and as SmokeyPitt says use it in chili, make burritos, etc. Just heat up some slices and enjoy brisket for another day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    April's Southern Living mag has a good to do on brisket.
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    1.5 hours per pound @ 250 dome +/- 25 degrees for planning purposes.  The cook time will vary, on the cut of the meat.   16 pounds, = 24 hours,.  not really a problem, beer, whiskey, vodka, rum, all good companions on a long cook.  cook until thickest part is 185-189, and pull, FTC until ready to consume.  BRISKET IS NOT THAT HARD TO COOK it just takes a while.  I like the remote thermometers, as I trust the alarms to wake me should we a have temp problem.

Also if problems arise, don't worry have a homebrew and egg on....
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About