Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Challenger vs. Southern Outdoor Specialities vs. Tim's Stainless steel table?

Options
I haven't been here in a while, and apologize for not being a regular contributor here.  Any opinions on the options above for metal tables?  After 2 years with my XL Big Green Egg in a nest, it is time for it to have a proper home.  I would like to have a table that can be moved, something low maintenance, and that has drawers and doors that seal tightly. 

Let me start that all of these seem to be great options.  They all seem to have some pros (powder coated metal or stainless, customization, or cost) and cons.  

I did a search and did not find any recent comparisions or feedback from people who have owned for any amount of time.  So any feedback before I make a purchase? 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I cant speak for the last two options, but the Challenger carts are top notch quality. The drawers have full depth pull out and are really sturdy. The drawers and doors are weather proof with marine style seals and latches on them which also helps with dust. The finish is warranted for life. They are all stainless and aluminum construction. Good luck with the research and I hope you will be happy in your future purchase.
  • waughco
    Options
    thank you for the feedback.  I definitely think the challenger is the benchmark here
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Who the hell is Tim (company name of the table) :confused: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @waughco Not to start a pissing contest but, I feel the Challenger table IS a very nice table but, way too $$$ imo. It would seem that a person could make or have one custom made to their specifications for equal to or less $$$.
    Or find a used table and mod it. Just a suggestion that's all. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @NPHuskerFl ... Tim makes some fantastic stainless steel egg tables in the Midwest ... see his web site at OutdoorKitchenEquipment dot com.  His main business is making stainless steel restaurant equipment, and his company makes egg tables as a sideline.  If you're interested, trade some e-mails with him to see what options are available.

Think he's here on the forum as @Tspud1... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• waughco
    Options
    @NPHuskerFl ... Tim makes some fantastic stainless steel egg tables in the Midwest ... see his web site at OutdoorKitchenEquipment dot com.  His main business is making stainless steel restaurant equipment, and his company makes egg tables as a sideline.  If you're interested, trade some e-mails with him to see what options are available.

Think he's here on the forum as @Tspud1... please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have been in touch with Tim already and extremely impressed with him.  He may be my front runner right now but still mulling stainless vs. powder coated and my post is to see if there is any new feedback to consider. 
  • waughco
    Options
    @waughco Not to start a pissing contest but, I feel the Challenger table IS a very nice table but, way too $$$ imo. It would seem that a person could make or have one custom made to their specifications for equal to or less $$$.
    Or find a used table and mod it. Just a suggestion that's all. 

I view Tim as the option to build something custom and his prices seem good.  Tim gives more bang for the buck for sure, and I just was checking to see what the board has to say.  I hope it is all good! 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @waughco I may be slightly biased but, I say go SS. 

Edit: Tim builds quality not crap and they're built to last. SS is the way to go IMHO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • waughco
    waughco Posts: 10
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I got to Tim's website, outdoorkitchenequip dot com. 
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Thanks for the nice words. Last thing I want is to make something that people complain about. There are several nice tables on market along with materials they are made from. The resin composite tables seem to be most expensive. Not everyone likes stainless so ours may not be best fit for some people. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options

@waughco - where are you located, and where are your eggs located? In my case, my eggdom gets a good deal of sun, so ss would get VERY hot in the Texas sun.

I actually like the idea of the egg in the nest, and having a dedicated work table. Lots of room to work, and for storage. Can even put a sink in there, depending on your setup. My eggs are mobile, with a work table that stays put. I can move the eggs around if I feel like cooking by the pool or having the eggs closer to the kitchen door when I'm cooking.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I've got two Challenger Carts and love them.  They are completely weather tight and very well designed with lots of storage.  I did not buy the BGE Brand Green versions.  Their distribution system is not the best.  Only two dealers in Houston.  One with zero product knowledge and the other with just basic knowledge.  I ended up getting most of my sales info from the regional distributor in New Orleans over the phone.  In hindsight I wish I had thought to explore more customizing options than I did.  Knowledge of the available options and configurations was just not what it should be in the sales force.  You will probably get more responsive service for a "custom" product from Tim, although it could be better wherever you live.  They are expensive, but worth it to me.  I would buy them again in a heartbeat, only spend more for some of the options I didn't  know about. :)
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We have had the Southern Specialities SS table for almost 4 or is 5 years ...not a problem one and looks as good as day we brought it home.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • waughco
    Options
    caliking said:

@waughco - where are you located, and where are your eggs located? In my case, my eggdom gets a good deal of sun, so ss would get VERY hot in the Texas sun.

I actually like the idea of the egg in the nest, and having a dedicated work table. Lots of room to work, and for storage. Can even put a sink in there, depending on your setup. My eggs are mobile, with a work table that stays put. I can move the eggs around if I feel like cooking by the pool or having the eggs closer to the kitchen door when I'm cooking.

Colorado. I have thought about the separate table and Tim would be a good choice for this. My main reason for the tight table is because of mice. We live adajecent to an open space that is a super highway for them. The mice raised hell with my side table with a vinyl cover on it.  Grossed me out. I have traps all over the back yard. 

So I would consider keeping my nest, need side tables for it, and then a side table with sealed doors. 

Stainless could reflect a lot for us as well. I am more interested in general feedback on tables and then I can decide with the boss. 

• waughco
    Options
    dcc said:
    I've got two Challenger Carts and love them.  They are completely weather tight and very well designed with lots of storage.  I did not buy the BGE Brand Green versions.  Their distribution system is not the best.  Only two dealers in Houston.  One with zero product knowledge and the other with just basic knowledge.  I ended up getting most of my sales info from the regional distributor in New Orleans over the phone.  In hindsight I wish I had thought to explore more customizing options than I did.  Knowledge of the available options and configurations was just not what it should be in the sales force.  You will probably get more responsive service for a "custom" product from Tim, although it could be better wherever you live.  They are expensive, but worth it to me.  I would buy them again in a heartbeat, only spend more for some of the options I didn't  know about. :)
    That is why I started this thread. No body knows anything about any of this stuff locally because the market for $1500-2000 grilling tables for a BGE is small to say the least. I haven't found anyone in CO who I would normally buy from who has sold one!  Understandable. I think all three options. I am really interested in Tim's stuff, he seems my style. I like to work direct with guys who take pride in their work. That seems to be Tim by my early assessment. 

Believe the challenger or southern specialities are similar. Just want to make sure I am not making a high dollar mistake. 
  • dcc
    Options
    What sold me was the construction and sealing of the doors.  They have a rubber seal on all the doors which completely seals the inside.  Rain and Bugs can not get in.  I have messy elm trees in my back yard and when I blow the dirt and mess off my patio, none of the junk gets inside of the carts.  Some negatives are:  The drawers are inside of the door, so you have to open a door to access a drawer, it is possible to scratch the paint if you are careless.  A lot of the Egg dealers carry the Big Green Egg Brand Table built by Challenger.  You can usually find one to look at to see how well they are built.  They can build them for any size Egg.  I have a 78" long table with a Large Egg.  I also have the Bar Unit, which is 60" long with a raised counter and foot rail.  I keep my Mini Max on top of the bar, but have plenty of space on top of the other cart if I need more "bar" space.  I don't think any of the three would be a mistake.

Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    caliking said:

@waughco - where are you located, and where are your eggs located? In my case, my eggdom gets a good deal of sun, so ss would get VERY hot in the Texas sun

Yep it is pretty sunny here too..  The heat isnt as much problem as the refective sunlight from the table top. Have umbrella near table for shade and purchased the two largest polymer cutting boards i could find at the resturant supply to mitigate the glare.  SS is the way to go IMHO
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    @waughco. Thanks for posting this thread.  We are looking into getting another table for mini and small to share. We need to reduce egg clutter on the upper porch.  I went over to the outdoor kitchen site and saw a few things that would work for us.  
    We also abut to a recharge zone (80 acres that have to be left in natural condition) and our SS table has never had a problem with critters.  Even the squirels dont get on the table...i dont think they like the feel of SS on their feet.  Go for the SS table you wont regret it. 
  • Tspud1
    Options
    Problem sloved

• Tspud1
    Options
    Austin Egghead, one table 3 eggs
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I'm joining this discussion late but I contacted the Challenger manufacturer directly, who passed me along to a regional handler, who then referred me to my local BGE dealer.  Consistent with what @dcc said, when I contacted my local dealer he hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about.  I then relayed this back to the regional rep. and she quickly replied indicating that I would be hearing from the local dealer, shortly.  Sure enough, in a few minutes I was quoted pricing for the 48" model and the 76" model (no accessories).  Basically, tack on about $343 for the 48" model and $663 for the 76" model for shipping up here, at least as compared to what a quick Google search found for pricing in the Chicago area.  :o  @Tspud1 Tim, I contacted your company asking if it is possible to quote shipping to where I live.  This can be complicated for large items--and expensive--so no worries if not possible.

I do have a question for Challenger owners: I've noticed that the Challenger doesn't have a resting pad of any kind for the egg.  For those who own this unit have you found that you've had to place  anything under the egg?  I'm wondering how hot that storage compartment below might get.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• dcc
    Options
    I have a LBGE with the table nest.  No problem at all with heat.  The MiniMax sits on top and does not have heat issues either.  There is plenty of space under the egg with the two nests.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    dcc said:
    I have a LBGE with the table nest.  No problem at all with heat.  The MiniMax sits on top and does not have heat issues either.  There is plenty of space under the egg with the two nests.
    Thank you.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• 2for2true
    Options

My Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street stainless steel chef's table.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    I had Tim make a custom table for my Mini and KJ-Classic, and it's nicely made.  Tim's also a real stand-up guy with great customer service in my experience and stands behind his work.  (I had a few things that weren't as I expected at first about the table including height of the stand for both the KJ and Mini and he was really responsive and fast in getting those things resolved).  I also wish I had waited to get the table until the MiniMax was out as I have MiniMax envy :) for those extra few inches, but had the Mini already and went with what I had..

There are honestly a few things I wish were different about the table - drawers pull open somewhat hard [not sure why..maybe just need to be lubed] and the stainless seems to get temporary 'stains' from hard water (rain) and black smudge from tiny pieces of lump that I often drop onto the table when loading the grills that are harder than I would have expected to remove..but all in all I really do like the table and would buy from him again without hesitation..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)