Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas!!! <pic heavy>

Options

My 6yr old son requested fajitas earlier this week, but my work schedule didn't allow for the time, until tonight.

I kept it simple by seasoning the beef about 45 minutes before hand with some fajita seasoning from the Mexican section of the grocery store.  I just got my new wok seasoned over the past week or so and I decided to give it a try.  I usually use cast iron. 

No plating pic due to the family arriving home just as I finished cooking and they were ravenous.

I could have had the wok a little bit hotter to start, or I crowded it just a tad too much. I didn't get quite the sear I usually get on cast iron, but I chalk it up to user error, not a failure of the wok. I finished it off with a squeeze of lime and served it with box mix Spanish rice (I know it's cheating) and tortillas.

As promised, pics:

imageimageimage

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looks great.  If you like pulled pork, try it in place of the steak next time ... carnitas fajitas are my favorite.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• 10_42bbq
    Options

Looks great.  If you like pulled pork, try it in place of the steak next time ... carnitas fajitas are my favorite.

That is definitely on my list of things to try.

Lexington, SC.

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Aside from the satisfaction of cooking on the BGE, what's the benefit of Woking on an Egg?  I wouldn't think you'd get the smoky flavor you get with direct, and there wouldn't appear to be any moisture retention either since the dome is open all the time..

Just curious.  Good looking cook, tho!
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

Every time I cook PP, I inevitably make carnitas fajitas/tacos.   DANG Good!!!
  • 10_42bbq
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

Aside from the satisfaction of cooking on the BGE, what's the benefit of Woking on an Egg?  I wouldn't think you'd get the smoky flavor you get with direct, and there wouldn't appear to be any moisture retention either since the dome is open all the time..

I've read that most residential grade ranges don't put out the BTU's for proper wokking. Maybe someone with more expertise than me can chime in.  My main reason is it doesn't smoke up the house like I've been known to do on occasion.

Lexington, SC.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Dad/Mom of the year ( cant tell your gender ). Its those small things about being a parent that are the best. Its the stuff that the kid will remember for the rest of their lives. Great job!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

I'm not sure about a wok but I do fajitas in a cast iron pan and it tastes way better then the stove. Everything picks up just enough smoke to make a difference.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    cast-iron or wok on an egg - either way you get that smoke flavor - and I always use mesquite when doing beef - especially fajitas.

I also cook the skirt/flank steak on the grill, and the veggies in a veggie basket on the grill and then cut the meat after-the-fact. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    SmokyBear said:

These are my observations about cooking on the Egg with the wok.  

1 - The house doesn't smell as bad from the high temp/smoke and from the food. 

2 - The Egg can keep the wok screaming hot at all times and doesn't lag behind.  The sides of the wok gets hotter too as the heat source is on all the sides and bottom.  

3 - Cleaner.  Doing all this is much cleaner than on the stove.  

4 - It is more fun to do on the Egg too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    onedbguru said:

cast-iron or wok on an egg - either way you get that smoke flavor - and I always use mesquite when doing beef - especially fajitas.

I also cook the skirt/flank steak on the grill, and the veggies in a veggie basket on the grill and then cut the meat after-the-fact. 

plus one here. I cook my proteins whole to preserve as much moisture in the meat as possible. I really like the steak fajitas mid rare. Your meal does look great though. I would gladly pull up a chair. Nice job.
  • 10_42bbq
    Options
    I appreciate all the comments. You guys are too kind. I too usually sear up a flank or skirt steak whole as well.  The grocery store was all out of those on my last trip but they had the "stir fry" cut sirloin which I find ok in a pinch. 

Lexington, SC.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

SmokyBear said:

These are my observations about cooking on the Egg with the wok.  

1 - The house doesn't smell as bad from the high temp/smoke and from the food. 

2 - The Egg can keep the wok screaming hot at all times and doesn't lag behind.  The sides of the wok gets hotter too as the heat source is on all the sides and bottom.  

3 - Cleaner.  Doing all this is much cleaner than on the stove.  

4 - It is more fun to do on the Egg too.  

@tarheelmatt - speaks the truth. It's not the smoke you are looking for, it's the high heat. Plus not funkin up the house is a huge benefit.

@10_42bbq - Your fajitas look awesome. Compared to using CI how did you like the final product?? I have used the wok for fajitas once but prefer the CI.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Home run! Fajitas are one of my favorite cooks. The payoff for amount of effort put in is very high.

Yours could be Mexican stir fry? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 10_42bbq
    Options

@mattman3969 Thank you. This batch was not as good as the usual CI method, but I think if I let the wok get a little hotter next time it would have come out pretty darn close.  I'll have to try it a few more times to confirm that though. If after another time or two it doesn't match up, then I may just have to try the CI on the egg instead.

Lexington, SC.