Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT. Need to buy a new car. UGH!

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @johnkitchens ... very neat truck and very neat idea getting him to help in the restoration.

Vehicles last a long time in Arizona.  One of the guys I worked with still had the pickup that he drove when he was in high school.  When his son was ready to drive, they restored it for him.  My Dodge Caravan had a little over 200K miles on it and it was a baby compared to some of the vehicles others drove.  I think the restored pickup had about 350K on it and one guy's was approaching 500K when I was transferred back to Illinois.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Jeepster47!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    **Hijack warning** @johnkitchens...that's my dream truck. Wanted one since I turned 16 in 1989. Your son is lucky....
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @ksymyrl! It turned out really nice. When we drive it around all of the guys from 45 and up check it out! 

I graduated high school in 87 so I remember this year model very well. It was a nice birthday gift for him. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Lots and lots of research. My Dad custom ordered his HHR SS from a Chevrolet dealership here in the Twin Cities. Long story short, one of the biggest car dealers here in the T.C if not one of the biggest in the Midwest was charged with major fraud. My Dad was told his order was canceled since this individual dealerships were closed immediately. Turns out GM still decided to process the order but send it 40 miles west to a different dealership. My dad stumbled across it online when shopping for a new car. My dad custom ordered some options not normally found on the few HHR SS that were available. Turns out it was the exact car he ordered. Same manufacturer number and all. Crazy that it shipped to a dealership so close. After hours upon hours upon hours of research and a lot of luck, the dealership couldn't believe they had his custom ordered car that was supposed to be canceled. After talking numbers they came up with a price. With all the research my Dad did and luck he basically stole the car from the dealership. The dealerships general manager came over and said I'm not supposed to tell you this but we made $7 off this vehicle after everything. We've never done a deal like this with a customer before. Let's just say my dad was happy with all the research he did on the car prior! Get lucky every once in awhile I guess.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    you like Honda, don't blame you.

To haul your bike around, I would try to find a used Element. You can literally hose that car clean - sand and dirt and dog hair, whatever. Big side doors.

At 80k miles you're going to need brakes.
    At 90k miles you're going to need a timing belt.

Since you drive so little distance for work, a car with 60k miles is affordable and in that sweet spot of doesn't need any work and is still very reliable.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Used+Cars/Honda/Element/Indianapolis+IN-46250?endYear=2016&listingType=used&listingTypes=used,certified&makeCode1=HONDA&mmt=[HONDA[ELEMENT[]][]]&modelCode1=ELEMENT&searchRadius=0&showcaseOwnerId=1328147&startYear=2000&Log=0&showcaseOwnerId=1328147&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=7F83A28A0C1E2A2A5660C4AA6BB3D462&showToolbar=true&Log=0

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I missed that commute part. 1.2 miles?! I'd just ride my bike/walk to work and keep a beater with a roof rack for trips.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I LOVE going to the dealer to get a new car!  We drive a 2011 pilot and a 2004 truck.  But my dear wife will not go to me when we go to buy the car.   You must remember YOU are in charge.  Use the internet to find a fair price.  Don't be afraid to walk away.  There are more cars in your area then they can offer.  Once again You are the one in charge!   I once asked to speak to the owner.  That didn't  go well for the sales person.  It was a open sales type forum.   The women beside me was buying a new Toyota SUV, I told my guy to take a few K off her's because she was buying  a high end car.  He said hussh. I got my truck for 2k less than I wanted.  Oh yeah, they added on the serial # on the windows, it was a option for $300.  I told them I didn't want it.  He told me they all had it.  So I responded it wasn't a option.  long story short I didn't pay for it. 

" we do do that but be quiet"  She looked around like "WTF" 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options

I missed that commute part. 1.2 miles?! I'd just ride my bike/walk to work and keep a beater with a roof rack for trips.

I do in the warmer months.   The problem is that I leave by 0620 so it is dark and don't get off until 1900 and it is dark again.  Can't really ride safely in the dark.  

When we have been "snowed in" I have also walked and just showered and gotten ready there.  

I'm not a fan of the Element.  Just not my thing.  My BFF drives one and it suits her perfectly.  I am a few months away from actually needing a new car so I have time.  I like that I'm not in a huge hurry and can fall in love with another car if a deals falls through.  

Heck!  A Mini Cooper or Fiat sounds like fun some days.  I've got new car fever I think!  
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    For used cars, you might try Carmax.  They have a good selection, reasonable prices, and a very good warranty.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bboulier said:

For used cars, you might try Carmax.  They have a good selection, reasonable prices, and a very good warranty.

This. You can get an awesome luxury car nicely depreciated and the max care warranty up to 125k or so. Makes a high end Mercedes or BMW much easier to swallow. If I ever get an M3, that'll be the way I do it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

bboulier said:

This. You can get an awesome luxury car nicely depreciated and the max care warranty up to 125k or so. Makes a high end Mercedes or BMW much easier to swallow. If I ever get an M3, that'll be the way I do it.

+1 . I love to research, haggle, negotiate, wheel n deal, whatever. Negotiating when buying  houses or cars really gets my blood pumping. my mom never paid full price for anything and she taught me well. 

BUT, when my BIL wanted a new car, he went to CarMax and bought the car he wanted. Few years later it became a golf ball after getting pelted in a hailstorm. So he took the insurance money and went right back to CarMax, to buy the newer model of the car he had. It worked very well for him.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CoolBees
    Options
    Cars are a necessity, but depreciating asset. Buy what you need. I look at 1-2 year old cars with low mileage, good reputation. Acura (or Honda) are on the list. Save a lot of$$$ and gets you where you want to go.....just my 2 cents
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Chicklet said:

I do in the warmer months.   The problem is that I leave by 0620 so it is dark and don't get off until 1900 and it is dark again.  Can't really ride safely in the dark.  

When we have been "snowed in" I have also walked and just showered and gotten ready there.  

I'm not a fan of the Element.  Just not my thing.  My BFF drives one and it suits her perfectly.  I am a few months away from actually needing a new car so I have time.  I like that I'm not in a huge hurry and can fall in love with another car if a deals falls through.  

Heck!  A Mini Cooper or Fiat sounds like fun some days.  I've got new car fever I think!  
    Both the mrs and I have fiats.hers a 2015 mine a 2013 both the Abarth scorpion edition. Love them they are fun as hell to drive kinda like driving a go cart. They are our summer cars and are put away in the winter. Now hauling a bike...i dunno.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    A 16 year old doesn't really NEED their own car. Sounds like mom needs a car worse and can't afford to give hers away.

My son (25) just bought a used 2014 Honda Accord. Nice car for around 20k.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2015
    Options

@johnkitchens ... yep, unless you want them in your basement till you die, parents have to live through, dating, driving, and a bunch of other things that scare the hell out of you.  At least with today's vehicles (anti-lock brakes, air bags, etc.) it's a safer enironment while the little darlings work through their Mad Max phase.

My son just got a truck for his birthday from my father in law. 

It is a fully restored 1987 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4. My son helped in the restoration process so he is very protective of it. 

NICE LOOKIN' CHEVY!!!

Plan on giving my son my 94 Silverado when he is able to drive.  It will soon get 31" BF Goodrich AT TA/KOs like your son's.

As far as advice to OP, I'm of little help.  Cannot stand crooked dealerships, and they ALL are crooked.  Occasionally HAVE to go in to the Parts Dept.     

Like @caliking, I enjoy Dickering with CL folks for known dependable motors, that are older with few owners, and maintained like a vehicle should be.  The less options, the better.  Less for me to fix.  Also enjoy troubleshooting an automobile, same goes for humans. lol 

3 grand for a single owner Deville with 28K.  5 grand for a KY rust free Silverado with 100K, 20K on rebuilt motor.  3 grand for a Toyota Tacoma with 88K, still going strong after a 2 wrecks.    

Best advice I can give, do your research.  The rest will fall into place. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @Focker

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I went through this recently as well. I was in the biz for years..ran 3 stores and know the game..bought a mini countryman on a mini select lease. Unlimited mileage and great car. Cheap payments and 2% interest. Based on 4 year old minis I'll have about a 30% equity position when I buy it out after 48 months. Researched to ad nauseum and settled here.
    Check it out..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Buy a tank and don't spend a lot of money. Good chance it'll end up in a wreck in the first couple years
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    Car buying is changing quite a bit. A lot of auto groups like Sonic, are going to flats for their sales staff, to take away the predatory nature of car sales.

I used to be a Porsche dealer with Sonic, and left because of that reason.

That said Sonic stores are a lot like Carmax, except they have new cars too. If you like a very easy, no hassle transaction, they are great. Nationwide inventory, that can be delivered to any store just like Carmax. If a car has a price that ends in a four, that is going to be their lowest price and typically a loser for them.

Something to look at, if in the market for a car.

The cars I sell now, play by different rules, and negotiating is fairly minimal. It's more about service, and not having to play the game.

“All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Thanks @TnJed
    i think I have decided to go with an RDX. It is a lot like the MDX I have now but sportier and smaller. I got a 2016 MDX loaner car and it was amazing - I felt like I was driving my living room around. It is just too much at $50k.  I am also going to wait until I start seeing all the "all the cars must go" sales later this summer when the 2016s make an appearance. I'm in no hurry which is good. 
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob