Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork carnitas

Options
Tonight dinner, roasted tomato salsa, pork carnitas with pickled red onions, and retired beans all on the egg. Roasted the salsa first the put the carnitas in a Dutch oven with (chopped onions, orange juice, chicken broth, cumming, salt and pepper),beans in a skillet, and cooked over direct heat at 350 for 5 hours. Awesome. I cheated on the rice and used a microwave pouch.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Winner winner carnitas for dinner.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Great looking grub for sure. I like the CI as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Carnitas is one of my favorite way of cooking pork.  I especially love it as the main meat in a fajita meal ... usually have to ask for it 'cuz it's never on the menu.  Good cook, I'd dig in and enjoy myself.  Of course, I've never had "retired" beans ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• banditt37
    Options
    Ha ha. I missed that. I need to figure out how to turn auto correct off. Hate it!
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Anyone ever had the carnitas from Freebirds World Burrito?  Jeez they are good!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    carnitas are awesome!

@Jeepster47‌ you need to come to dalton. Carnitas are on the menu in the majority of restaurants here. Or we can work off some of what i have in the fridge
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... what type of Mexican foods do they have in your area of Georgia.  Tex-Mex is okay, but food from the Sonoran Desert area is really what we've come to enjoy.  Spent most of the 90's in Tucson, so got us hooked us.  We've got a good Hispanic representation here in the middle of Illinois from that area of Mexico ... many more good Mexican restaurants than BBQ joints.  Pork (carnitas) fajita, pollo ranchero, chimichanga and breakfast burritos ... mmmmmmm goooooood.

Damn Bandit, but now I'm hungry again.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Well done, my kind of cook
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ hispanic is the majority minority here. although when work is short and they leave they seem to go to Illinois. We have lots of Tex-Mex, but if you go deep into East Dalton where all the signs are in Spanish, you can get whatever you want. We also have different hispanic places like Salvadorian...