Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Sous Vide Umami Marinated Steak - Best Yet!

Options
BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum

I have not posted a discussion in a while since I haven't been recording many cooks.  With all the SV interest lately I thought I'd post a cook I did over Christmas... SV Steak with Umami Marinade.

I found the concept of the Umami Marinade perfect for SV cooking in a bag.  I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Marinade contains Soya Sauce, Worchestershire, Dijon, Balsamic, Fish Sauce, Anchovy Paste, Mushroom Powder, Olive Oil

Steaks were generously slathered and into individual vacuum bags for an overnight marinate.

Into the bath for a couple hours at 132'F.  I think total time in the tub was 2h45min

I heated the cast iron griddle up to just about 500'F before these went on with a light drizzle of Peanut oil

Meal was plated with twice baked potatoes, SV lobster tails and Caesar salad.

Thanks for looking.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that all looks and sounds incredible.  That plated pic with the tail and the twice baked is unbelievable.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    very nice . . . BOOKMARK!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • BigWader
    Options

I got the recipe idea here:

http://sansaire.com/cook-steak-sous-vide/

Recipe: Faux Dry Aged Steak Marinade (inspired by Modernist Cuisine at Home)

Feel free to substitute or remove any of the ingredients below, or alter the quantities to your taste. All of the recommended ingredients are high in glutamic acid, amplifying the umami flavor in the meat.
    Yield: enough for 4 steaks
    Ingredients:

1. Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
    2. To season, divide the marinade among the bags, add the steak, and vacuum seal using your preferred method. This can be done just before cooking.

For even stronger flavor, marinate the steaks in the refrigerator up to 24-hours before cooking. This sauce can be made ahead of time and stored, refrigerated, for one month.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Man that is like an umami roundhouse kick.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BigWader
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt  I was skeptical that it would really have a big effect, but it was incredible how much "beefier" the steaks tasted.  My guests were blown away at the taste and texture since they had never eaten SV cooked food.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    I tried a version of the marinade yesterday with items I had on hand.  Worcestershire, soy sauce, anchovy paste, balsamic, and feta.  It was really good and I love the technique of cooking sous vide in the marinade.   I will definitely do this again...next time with a longer marinade and more umami! Thanks for the inspiration @BigWader.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Man that looks and sounds awesome. SWMBO has a "thing" about seafood so I have to hide the fish sauce. Will definitely try this, Grand daughter, 8 year old will eat a cap off rib eye if cooked in the SV, or Trés Booblay as we call it around our house. 
    Using the CI griddle on the gasser makes it a quick sear.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigWader
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - thanks I'm glad you liked it.  I will be repeating this soon on a Top Sirloin Roast to see if I can amplify the flavour in a larger cut.

@Skiddymarker - My daughter (5 1/2) can down red meat like crazy (she seems to prefer a med-rare sirloin).  I am lucky that my cooktop in the house is gas but after those steaks I needed to clean the grease filters in the fume hood.  I couldn't believe how much grease was airborne and went up the hood.  I lined the cooktop and surrounding area with foil for spatters and that helped cleanup.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    you need any new friends or neighbors? I volunteer.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - ideal cut to amplify the flavour with is a full chuck roast, inject it like a butt. Suggest doing the night before, gives the injection time to spread throughout the meat and seal in a gallon zip lock with some marinade on the outside. DO seared then braise with the lid on, no smoke - but the flavour is excellent. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @BigWader - one of the reason I moved outside (under cover in the BBQ shack I can cook all year on the left coast of Canada)
    SWMBO doesn't like gas and bought one of those glass topped pieces of furniture, so the egg, Weber, gasser and camp stove is where I make most of my culinary mistakes. When I did wok on the old coil range, the filters went through the dishwasher after every stir fry. Good idea to keep the hood clean, once a grease fire starts in the vent system the air flow is incredible, it is just like an egg going nuclear!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Phenomenal! Bookmarked.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigWader
    Options
    @caliking - Thanks.  The beefiness was amplified in every bite! 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE