Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ballotine Chicken THROWDOWN-- winner gets BIG prize!

Options

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I didn't see this thread tell tonight so I don't know if I will make the dead line, but I may try it sometime. What are some of the stuffing being used. That's the only thing I am wondering about.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Voting time. Poles close at 1200
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    At noon tomorrow the 20th ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    At noon tomorrow the 20th ...

Your right. Don't know what I was thinking.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    @GalanteNate_OneEa‌ has got some crazy skills. =D> Nice job man!! And Happy Birthday to your better half!
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    @GalanteNate_OneEa‌ has got some crazy skills. =D> Nice job man!! And Happy Birthday to your better half!
    Thanks, her b day is thursday, but her and her mother have convinced the world of a thing called a birthday week, so she gets what she wants lol.  The bird came out really good. Yours sounded delicious. I am envious. This is one of those meals that starts simple and really makes you look good in the end.
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    My vote is @blind99 I love the Italian

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Congrats to all that entered.  Way to step out of your comfort zone and give something new a try.  I'm hoping that people take this Throwdown idea seriously.  It would be nice to do this on a semi regular basis.  Even once a month would be great.  That way there could be a little more notice.  I would have loved to do this but I just made one last week.  I like to rotate cooks so we're not always eating the same thing week after week.  I would even be in favor of a $1 entry fee that would go towards buying the prize for the winner and the person that got the least amount of votes.  This way no one has to shell out continuously.   Again nice job everyone that entered.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    tz666 said:
    My vote is @blind99 I love the Italian

thank you!  When the voting is done I'll post a picture of the assembly, before it got rolled up - it's probably the best shot :)

@galantenate_oneea yeah that dinner looked unreal.  killer scallops.  @dyal_sc you lost style points with all that stuffing falling all over the place. but that stuffing is so killer I'd want as much as I could stuff in my gullet!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    edited January 2015
    Options

OK.  I voted.

Now I want to comment just to thank everybody responsible for this.  Not only are the cooks great, but it was fortuitously timely for me.  My daughter (20 y/o - last weekend home from college) asked me if I would help her with an indoor cook that involved deboning three chickens.  It was great that I was able to say "I know where we can learn this from a video."  I did the first one while she worked the laptop and then we each did the other two simultaneously.  It was good father-daughter time and now I'm ready to try a Ballotine chicken some time in the future.  So, while I don't have an entry for the showdown, like many of the participants I got pushed outside my comfort zone and am better for it.

With that being said, I have a question.  Generally, for chicken, we target 160 for white meat and 180 for dark meat.  With the Ballotine, where do you measure the temp - and what is the target?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Foghorn said:

OK.  I voted.

Now I want to comment just to thank everybody responsible for this.  Not only are the cooks great, but it was fortuitously timely for me.  My daughter (20 y/o - last weekend home from college) asked me if I would help her with an indoor cook that involved deboning three chickens.  It was great that I was able to say "I know where we can learn this from a video."  I did the first one while she worked the laptop and then we each did the other two simultaneously.  It was good father-daughter time and now I'm ready to try a Ballotine chicken some time in the future.  So, while I don't have an entry for the showdown, like many of the participants I got pushed outside my comfort zone and am better for it.

With that being said, I have a question.  Generally, for chicken, we target 160 for white meat and 180 for dark meat.  With the Ballotine, where do you measure the temp - and what is the target?

I measured the center of the stuffing when I did Balontine to insure any salmonella in the stuffing was dead, so that was a 165 in my conservative book.  I presume the dark meat on the exterior and the breast meat is most likely somewhere in the 180 zone.  Maybe over-cooked by some standards for the breast meat, but better safe than hurling with food poisoning for a few days.
    OK, not all food poisoning results in those extremes, but ask the guy on this forum who hurried his omelet one time, and you may decide to be like me.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Foghorn‌ all my stuffing I cooked stove top as I didn't want uncooked sausage greasing up my chicken. I just got the stuffing to 140 and the white meat to 165.
  • Foghorn
    Options

@Zmokin and @theyolksonyou, Thank you.

Both approaches seem reasonable.  I appreciate the responses.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks like we have a runaway winner!

As @DMW‌ said: vote early and vote often!

NOW VOTE DAMNIT!

Seriously. All these views and maybe 30 or so actual votes. C'mon eggers. This is serious business here. These guys boned and stuffed chickens for your viewing pleasure!!!!!!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Foghorn said:

OK.  I voted.

I had to look up fortuitously. Forum never stops teaching
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dang it all, I was sure I voted, but I can't find my vote noted on the post I thought I voted for...now to scrub everything on that thread and re-vote if my first vote wasn't counted.

This forum needs a voting system...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    ^^ yeah. It's does. But I'm gonna try and get in a real computer tomorrow at lunch to be sure there's no funny business!
  • DMW
    Options
    OK, found my vote...And here's where this would fall apart. If there are more than 10 "Likes", when you hover over a "Like" to see who voted for it, only the most recent 10 are displayed. So...if there are more than 10 votes on an entry, and you voted early (prior to the most recent 10), you can vote again and no-one will know you double-voted.

Loophole detected!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Options

"Forum never stops teaching"

True dat.  I've learned a number of vocabulary words on here as well.  I try not to repeat most of them in good company.

San Antonio, TX

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    DMW said:
    Dang it all, I was sure I voted, but I can't find my vote noted on the post I thought I voted for...now to scrub everything on that thread and re-vote if my first vote wasn't counted.

I think you had voted for me, I hope me knowing that doesn't look like I was sitting up reloading every 3 min to see what the count was…, but if you click the like button again it will unlike it for you and the Like Count would drop, if you wanted to re-vote. If the count goes up, then my wicked awesome plot to fix the vote prevailed… LOL!
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:

I think you had voted for me, I hope me knowing that doesn't look like I was sitting up reloading every 3 min to see what the count was…, but if you click the like button again it will unlike it for you and the Like Count would drop, if you wanted to re-vote. If the count goes up, then my wicked awesome plot to fix the vote prevailed… LOL!
    Yes, it was you, but I didn't see my vote when I hovered over it. See my comment above about potential fraudulent votes. That is exactly how I figured it out, when I went back to "vote" again, it decreased by 1. I clicked again and it added it back again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Jeremiah
    Options
    DMW said:

OK, found my vote...And here's where this would fall apart. If there are more than 10 "Likes", when you hover over a "Like" to see who voted for it, only the most recent 10 are displayed. So...if there are more than 10 votes on an entry, and you voted early (prior to the most recent 10), you can vote again and no-one will know you double-voted.

Loophole detected!

Your killing me. ^#(^
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    On the bright side not a lot of double digit vote getters so not a lot of fraud to detect. I'm doing my part by abstaining from getting votes. :D getting skunked by a damn fork on a plate. =))
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Man. It is taking forever to get my extra accounts approved. I hope they make it before the deadline so I can vote more! Clearly I did not plan far enough ahead.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Loophole detected!

Your killing me. ^#(^
    From now in, first one to ten votes wins!

They don't call me the problem solver for nothing...
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    How about a play by play on counts? That should boost the ratings
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I'm not sure to be happy or sad I am a few votes ahead of the empty plate?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac‌ could be worse, just sayin'....
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Last I checked empty plate was right on my coat tails...LOL