Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options

Morning Egg Heads, I have a frozen turkey breast that I have to cook today, being the meathead that I am, didn't pull it yesterday to brine. Anyone have a good recipe that does not involve brining?

Cheers!

LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• mitch2264
    Options
    I have done several bone in turkey breasts over the past few months and did not brine any of them.  What I did was rubbed it down with olive oil and whatever spices I had on hand.  Got the egg situated around 325, indirect.  I used a dab of hickory (one or two chunks) and then more apple.  I got the bird up to an internal temp of 160 then pulled it off and let it rest, tented.  With the tent method, I did not get a crisp skin, but figured that would be the case.  Everybody loved the turkey!  Meat was very moist and flavorful.  Good luck!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have done them from frozen in the past. I went 350 indirect with a handful of cherry wood chips for a nice touch of smoke. When it gets wet on the outside (20 minutes or so into the cook) dust it with your rub of choice and take it to 155-160 internal. It will carry-over a few degrees to get you to finish temp. After an hour an a half it should be thawed enough to get a Maverick probe into it so you can relax and watch it come to temp. I think the frozen 8 lb one I did took somewhere around 3 hrs to finish. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

Like they said.

Without a brine it might be a little less juicy, but if you pull it at 155-160 it will be better than 99% of the turkeys served around the US on Thanksgiving. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX