Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ballotine Chicken THROWDOWN-- winner gets BIG prize!

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I turboed the hell out of mine (not necessarily my intention, but roll with it baby). 500+ for about 35 min. It was good and I had a hungry wife. First thing I heard was mmmmm. Success.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ok, I'm in. Damn the chores! Might be a late submission, won't be able to start for a few hours still.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I wish I was in, you guys look like you're having fun with it. Already had my menu set for today, and yesterday was spent running errands and replacing the bearings on our dryer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Going to be a challenge. Wife decided it would be a good idea to go to the garage and do a little karaoke till 6 in the morning. On the bright side. It ls nice here and had to bust out the shorts all weekend. Am I tired and still smashed. Yes. Am I still going to attempt the challenge. I think so.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac‌ 350℉-400℉ indirect raised or not raised works nicely. I like to pull at around 155℉-160℉ Let it rest to solidify if you have a leaky stuffing like cheese which helps keep the slices uniform without oozing. Its still food safe warm but, it just holds together better. Don't ask how I know this. :-S
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    DMW said:

I wish I was in, you guys look like you're having fun with it. Already had my menu set for today, and yesterday was spent running errands and replacing the bearings on our dryer.

A set menu... :-? :-@ it's a $5.00 chicken. Cook it up and save some for lunches. Feed your cat or dog a special treat. No pets, the neighbors pets would love a ballotine chicken.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stemc33 said:

A set menu... :-? :-@ it's a $5.00 chicken. Cook it up and save some for lunches. Feed your cat or dog a special treat. No pets, the neighbors pets would love a ballotine chicken.
    I had the same thought.  Issue is I spent more time prepping this than an $80 prime rib.  Maybe a $5 chicken (mine was actually pricey.  Almost $7 :eek ), but I spent all freakin' morning prepping the stuffing, bird, and side.  
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hey, have you guys seen @DMW‌ cooks? Maybe our chances are better without him.... :-O
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    stemc33 said:

DMW said:

It's not the cost, it's the time. Been busy...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Deeerp...cut through the breast side.  I should have been watching what I was doing with the knife instead of watching the laptop.  Oh well...2 stuffed bird halves it is.  I sure could use some meat glue. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac your bird looks great. I see no fault in making the stuffing inside. I'm thinking 350, start checking internal temp at the 1 hour mark and I'm guessing it will be about 1.5 hours.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    3:45 deboned stuffed and time to set up the egg. After some meds
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Got a winner under the hood

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Since I cant vote for myself I might have to vote for @sumoconnell the prep the cook and the presentation were number #1.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pre- Mangle
    @Ozzie_Isaac your bird looks great. I see no fault in making the stuffing inside. I'm thinking 350, start checking internal temp at the 1 hour mark and I'm guessing it will be about 1.5 hours.
    You nailed it.  Just over 1.5 hours at 350.  Thanks for the advice.

Photos posted.  This was fun.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @‌ Ozzie_Isaac

First nice job!

Second I went with a BIG fork you topped me with 4 forks LOL.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @‌ Ozzie_Isaac nice First nice job! Second I went with a BIG fork you topped me with 4 forks LOL.
    I figured with all of the fork, spoon, knife talk going on, I better break out the big guns :)

Your cook looked awesome. The colors in your stuffing are great looking. I will admit, I was pretty intimidated by all the beautiful cooks people are doing.  This board is hardcore!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Ok, just submitted mine. The meat glue worked really well so I decided not to cut up another chicken. Tasted great, glad I finally entered one of these. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Mine is up. Great idea guys I really enjoyed this and the taste was much better than the look. I'll be trying this one again!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @jls9595‌ those don't look like crappy cell phone pics!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    haha, I didn't apply a filter but I did put a frame on them in the photobucket app. Took pics with wife's iphone 6.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    One of my favorite past times is egging. This and for that matter all cooks are fun for me. ALL the submitting contestants have put on their game face and truly delivered. I have really enjoyed this process and viewing each of contestants entries. Awesome work to all of y'all! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Last throw down people were voting like crazy, no vote yet. Intense.

BTW I love throw downs. Only my second, but this is so fun. Especially something different like this. Great idea! Thanks once again @Jeremiah‌ for moderating!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @shucker‌, nothing amateur about your entry. I like your stuffing ideas.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    All the entries looked great! And no one said anything about photo editing, they just had to be cell phone pics. Just remember, he who wins has to call the next one!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When does voting end again?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Just remember, he who wins has to call the next one!

Roro Shaggy! Gauntlet spiked in the end zone. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Options

Per husker: "Contest to begin Friday 1-16-15 thru Sunday 1-18-15 up to the wee hours into 1-19-15 w/in reason. Last vote to be cast on 1-20-15 by say noon."
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Per husker: "Contest to begin Friday 1-16-15 thru Sunday 1-18-15 up to the wee hours into 1-19-15 w/in reason. Last vote to be cast on 1-20-15 by say noon."
    I said the Wee hours to help out the West Coast and all the Football fans watching the Playoffs. I figured that would be fair.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Makes sense. But to clarify, noon tomorrow I'm counting votes. \:D/