Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Strips - Cast Iron - Stove or Egg?

Options
THEBuckeye
THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Planning Blackened NY Strips tonight. Will blacken with Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Steak Magic. 

The question is whether or not to cook on the gas stove or the Egg. 

If the Egg, how hot do I go?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are using a cast iron pan, a gas burner gives you much more control over the heat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• THEBuckeye
    Options

Yes, using a Cast Iron Skillet. 

Heat high for 15 minutes and cook 2 minutes side and check temp?

Coat in butter before skillet?

New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If you are going for true blackened, I would coat the meat only with butter. Not the pan. When doing blackened fish, my pan temp is in excess of 500 degrees. The butter will become a fire ball at these temps. For the record, I have never blackened a steak, only fish.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    Gas stove sounds like it's inside? I blackened some chicken inside...once. Not good! But my ventilation system is lacking. Just beware! I've never had blackened steak. Sounds good
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I sear in cast iron all the time. Butter, volcanic egg and above all an APRON! I flip by hand and the butter had splattered all over a few shirts much to the wife's chagrin.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Yes, it's inside. I've got a strong Thermdor up-draft exhaust 

Leaning to inside but now I'm wondering....
    New Albany, Ohio 

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    My wife won't let me cook bacon let alone blacken on her stove. That's why I have my own in the basement . Less mess on the egg