Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best CCW - OT

Options
weekender
weekender Posts: 61
edited January 2015 in Off Topic

So I know many of you have guns, but any advice on a good CCW that will not break the bank?  I am trying to stay under $450 if possible for the handgun because I know that I will also need a holster and ammo.  Have looked at the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm and the Ruger LC9 and really like the M&P Shield at this point in time.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated. 

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

Comments

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    I have the shield 9mm and it is my EDC. LC9 is a bit more compact but I didn't like the feel/ build quality.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I also have the shield 9mm. I like it. 

I just bought a Kel-Tec PMR 30. Too big to conceal, but I love that thing! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jenericzac
    Options
    I have the shield 40  A little snappier then the 9 but it was a great purchase.
  • weekender
    Options

Looks like I cannot go wrong with the Shield.  Now to save my money so I can get this soon.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Are you interested in Glock at all? I have a G26 and a G30 that I carry IWB. You can usually pick up a used one in your price range. Or if you are military, police, fire, security etc you can get one on their blue label program for real cheap. I paid 412 for the G26 new with three mags.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• jimreed777
    Options
    Glock 26 or glock 19 if you want a rail system. If I were purchasing only one firearm - it would be the G19. Rail for laser/light combo for home defense or equipped with a clip draw and mic holster for easy discreet carry anywhere. I have tried tons of options and this is the one. The G26 is the same thickness but a tad shorter with one less finger on the grip. However with a pinky rest extension, you add almost nothing to profile of the weapon and feels solid and accurate at the range
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I just recently bought a Kahr CW 380 and really like it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2015
    Options

Wait until mid next week and see what Glock debuts at SHOT Show in Vegas......supposedly the G43 is coming out.  Single stack 9mm--same frame as the single stacked .380 G42.

Other than that, the Kahr CM9 or CM380 are more economical versions of the PM series ($400 range vs. $600 range.)

Ruger just came out with a striker fired version of the LC9.  That should fix a lot of complaints about the trigger pull.  I think I saw they also removed the thumb safety and magazine disconnect.

The Shield and XDs are nice too, but both have had recalls.

The best reference for all the pocket guns used to be on "Mouseguns.com" but I think it's called "Bob's Pocket Gun Reference Chart" now.  Google it, it's still out there somewhere.  It has all the dimensions, weights, capacities, etc.

• jimreed777
    Options
    the pinky extension is from GAP enterprises - amazing how much control it adds to the stock mag on the G26
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Unless you've already established yourself as a Glock hater, which is fine of course, check them out (the 26 and 19 as stated above, as it appears you're looking for 9mm). They're the most reliable pistol on the planet other than revolvers. Some say Glocks are too fat to carry, and I couldn't disagree more. If you've got a good rig and belt, you can carry damn near anything IWB with comfort. The Shield looks and feels great. Trigger is a bit to squishy for my taste though. I believe all the recoil issues have been dealt with for a couple years now. FWIT I carry a G26 in a IWB single clip kydex holster that a local tactical shop makes here in town.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Here's the edc setup
    Minneapolis, MN
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I bought a Springfield Armory XDS in .45 caliber last year.  With a 3.3 inch barrel, it's just a little bit of a punchy shooter, but easy to get used to, super size for CC, and a premier cartridge for self defense.  Also available in 9MM.
    Either caliber should be in your price range.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    FWIW....

Shoot several models before buying. Some ranges rent for a reasonable price.

As important as the firearm is a comfortable holster and a holster belt. If it's not comfortable you won't carry it.

Consider ammo cost for practicing. Also consider the number of rounds the firearm will hold.

Don't put too much emphasis on cost. If this is your carry weapon, get a good one. If it ever has to be used... $400 will seem like not to much extra to spend.

I carry a Hk p30 9mm. 15+1. Extremely ergonomic, low recoil, no safety and I'm accurate with it. I'm not a collector so I spent more on my carry weapon.

Practice presenting and at the range. Eventually Move from paper targets to metal if possible.

Ymmv.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I bought a small frame 1911 in .45 to carry... Was a good idea until I actually carried. While I love the 1911 platform, I wanted something smaller to carry. I looked at the small frame 9's and the small 380's. I liked the 380's size, but wanted something more powerful. I evtually bought a S&W 642, 38spl+p. I encourage you to consider these and similar. I can front pocket carry it without any problems, and a buddy of mine carries in a Desantis Intruder and loves it. IMHO, nothing beats a snubbie for CC, for whatever it's worth. BTW, 642 can be got for under $400... Around $550 with crimson trace grips.
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • henapple
    Options
    Also...don't put much stock in the lasers. Cool but to me a waste.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    CCW? I had to look that one up.

Seriously? $450 for a gun?!!! And that's cheap?! Sure am glad I have no need or desire for such a thing.

Honestly, what do you guys DO with these things? I am far from a youngster and I have never owned or wanted to own a gun.

Not trying to start an argument. I truly have never understood why anyone would want a gun. Except for hunting I guess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Shield 9mm here also with a Hidden Hybrid holster and a MagHolder horizontal holder.  Have been an M&P fan for a while.  Shot a few different weapons before I got the Shield.  Felt the most comfortable, and fit my fat had the best.  I qualified for my CCW with my full sized M&P 45 and carried it for 9 months before I got the Shield. 
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Being from Canada I can help with a water gun...thats all they'll let us have...LOL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    Being from Canada I can help with a water gun...thats all they'll let us have...LOL
    They took away your cap guns now?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    How about Nerf Guns?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    @DMW....dont say that too loud. I still have my cap gun LOL.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CCW? I had to look that one up. Seriously? $450 for a gun?!!! And that's cheap?! Sure am glad I have no need or desire for such a thing. Honestly, what do you guys DO with these things? I am far from a youngster and I have never owned or wanted to own a gun. Not trying to start an argument. I truly have never understood why anyone would want a gun. Except for hunting I guess.
    I was raised in rural Georgia with and around guns. I have a very healthy admiration and respect for guns. As we see and hear on the news every day the criminal element seems to be getting braver and bolder. When I was a kid if you stayed out of the bad neighborhoods you were probably not going to have a problem. Now the bad guys will come to you. 

Augusta, GA is my closest big town and where we go when we go shopping. The mall and the other shopping centers are in decent sections of town, but you hear about carjackings, muggings, etc in the parking lots often. 

I may one day be a victim, but I will not be a willing victim. If someone kicks my door in at 3AM they won't find me hiding under the bed. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    Options
    The Hk comes with 3 interchangeable grip pieces. It's very comfortable. Check Desbien Leathers for a holster. Plus, it rhymes with lesbian. Galco makes a sturdy belt.

@Carolina Q.....can't imagine not having one. I respect those who don't but if the **** hits the fan (New Orleans) or any breakdown you'd better be prepared. I'm not a prepper but even a natural disaster requires food, water and protection. Gotta keep the eggs safe.
  • weekender
    weekender Posts: 61
    edited January 2015
    Options

Great feedback and I will see if any of the "local" ranges rent some different handguns so I can try them out.  I agree that it needs to be something I am comfortable with in both shooting and carrying or I will not carry. 

@Carolina .. as others have said I respect your views, but my job will start to take me to some places that will not make me feel 100% safe.  If it ever does come down too it I want to be prepared to defend myself and my family.  I pray I never need it, but given all the issues lately it can happen anywhere such as movie theaters, grocery stores, coffee shops, etc, not just is bad neighborhoods.  It will be my last resort in my list of options.  You can bet though if it has to be pulled out is is going to be shot.  Also the magazine will be emptied. 

I am not sold on S&W and do own a 357 Magnum, but that is too big to carry concealed.  Also have an older S&W 38 special J Frame which I will carry from time to time.  While .38 is a great gun I do want a few more rounds available to me should I ever need them.  Can't wait to see if Glock does come out with a single stack 9mm.  The G26 is a great gun, but for me it is just a little too wide.

Thanks for all the advice!!!!! 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ Do you have insurance or a fire extinguisher? Its kinda like that....... @weekender buy quality and train with it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    CCW? I had to look that one up. Seriously? $450 for a gun?!!! And that's cheap?! Sure am glad I have no need or desire for such a thing. Honestly, what do you guys DO with these things? I am far from a youngster and I have never owned or wanted to own a gun. Not trying to start an argument. I truly have never understood why anyone would want a gun. Except for hunting I guess.

Michael..I do not hunt..but I travel often and we drive anywhere from Northern Wisconsin to Maine to Louisiana to Arizona.  So when we do I would not want ever break down and be on the side of a roadway with my wife without one. Bear in mind I know we have cell phones but even sheriff David Clark in Milwaukee encourages if there is an intruder "arm yourself point center mass and pull the trigger" ..he states you can not wait for 911. 

Hopefully I will never have to use it (like my auto and home insurance..hopefully I will never need it)...but if I ever DO need it I will be glad I have it.

Bill

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I carry this concealed in my truck, not on me.
    Heckler & Koch Mark 23
    Suppressor- Advanced Armament.
    imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I will never not feel the need for a gun. I will always have one. @Carolina Q‌ I honestly envy you and your feeling of security. I lost that feeling a long time ago. I'll never get it back.

My edc is a .25. But I'm never far from other options. Next month I'm getting either the LC9 or a glock. As @henapple‌ already said though, I'll be shooting both before I decide.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Bbquru
    Bbquru Posts: 22
    Options
    Wow @SGH I shouldn't be surprised given your ridiculous grill collection, but Damn! Back on topic though, I have a shield and love it. If you are going for CCW you can't go wrong with a shield. Very thin, single stack and 9MM is a versatile and available round to practice and stock.