Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injecting brisket flat

Options
After reading @SGH post regarding injecting venison with butter to keep it juicy, I am considering injecting a brisket flat with some Amish made butter that I obtained locally. If butter can make a potentially dry, lean meat like venison better it might work on a flat. I personally only buy whole packers, but my daughter got this one and is not aware of the difference. Any thoughts from the group as to whether this might be  a way to improve this cook? Maybe butter is like bacon, it always makes things better.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I don't believe you can go wrong with injecting a flat-you may want to consider a "hot injection" when the flat comes thru the stall or just before you foil it if that's the route you choose.  In the past I have stubbornly gone the "no foil no injection" cook with a flat and have missed the mark more times than even close to hitting the target.  Fortunately now have a decent but not regular supplier of packers.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    While butter does indeed make most everything taste better, I do not think it's ideal on a small flat. Why? The lack of "mass" that a small thin flat has. I feel that all the butter will quickly dissipate. Some of those venison cuts I injected were in excess of 15 pounds and very thick. On something this size you can actually pump each individual muscle full of liquid as well as place it between each individual muscle. However this is not the case with a small flat. Let me clarify that I have never tried it with a flat so it may work like a charm. However my hunch is that it will not. If you try it, please share your thoughts and results as my interest is raised.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    DO IT! Then let us know how it went. :P
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will give it a try later this week and report back with findings, good or bad. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have never foiled in the past, so this will be an indirect at 300°-350° to 203 IT. By Golly, I might even take some pictures!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    The weather here is extremely sucky right now, below zero and lots of snow, will probably be next week before the trial run.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    300-350 seems too hot, especially for a flat...IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    Options
    I cook flats using the "Travis Method".  It has been good every time.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE