Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WHO in their right mind would cook a ........

Options
2»

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    That is tragic for sure. So 6 sisters with no husbands? How many cats were there?
    =))
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    anton said:
    That is tragic for sure. So 6 sisters with no husbands? How many cats were there?
    =))

You nailed it. More cats than I care to count. I'm just glad I live 1500 miles away and I have never met The Sisters. Just a little side note here most of them are older than me and their husbands have passed. Tomorrow I will be cooking a boneless rib roast on the egg and I will shed a tear for my dear BIL.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    My boss smoked a whole ribeye on his treager and brought in the remaining half for all of us the next day for lunch. Absolutely no flavor and tough. It could of cooked a hell of a lot longer too. What a shame.

My FIL always seems to screw things up on his propane grill and they come over for dinner on my egg quite a bit. I guess what my MIL says is true... Some people just don't got it. (To which I tell her your really bringing that man down, just smile and choke it down)
    NW IOWA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
     I am totally amazed that:
    a.  the thought and process would have any traction
    b.  the cook would be executed
    c.  there was no intervention (numbers or not)
    d.  Their first prime rib rodeo?

Surely there had to have been mitigating circumstances or something to take such a cook so far south.  Oh well-Shortly it will have happened "last year" and some day turn out to be a story of its own.  But  that's a tough one right there.
    Sounds like you are taking it about as well as can be eggspected.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    6 women and not a single meat thermometer in the house?

I will never attempt anything more expensive than a burger without knowing the temperature.

It's like driving without a speedometer - it can be done, but you're faking it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Someone needs to carry a thermapen with them next time.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i remember way back taking a prime rib away from my mother, probably about 25 at the time, never cooked one
    :D made a few calls for cook temps, opened the oven, saw a hole that said probe, asked what that was, she didnt know, looked around and found it in the back of a drawer, plugged it in and cooked it. no way was i going to let her cook another roast that you couldnt stick salt to with a hammer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I believe that this could happen (well it did actually happen).

My sister went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. The poor turkey was skinned, then roasted forever, intermittently basted with a mixture of soy sauce and butter. I spent days wondering why someone wouldn't even take a few minutes to google "how to roast a turkey".

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrannyX4
    Options

Or in this case some balls!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2014
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:

=))
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:

You say that, but most marriages that last a long time have a husband who knows that the outcome of the issue at hand is not nearly as important as the outcome of the relationship.  Once the husband gets in that mode it is sometimes hard to know when to break out of it.  And it often works out better in the long run.  In this case, if he cooks a prime rib next year with good results, he will not be second-guessed by anyone for many years to come.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrannyX4
    Options
    @Lousubcap I believe this was their first rodeo with the rib roast. No one would spend the money on it in the past. Or for that matter I don't think the BIL will do it again and if he does shame on him. They usually cooked a turkey and used the electric roaster because they needed the oven space!!! I haven't seen a roaster since my grandmother cooked thanksgiving and that was in the fifties.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used a roaster (picked up from CL for diy sv rig), first time, to roast parboiled potatoes for our Christmas dinner because the oven and eggs were busy, it was not bad!  ;)
    canuckland
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    You said it all Granny, they weren't even in the left mind....That is one expensive ay to make inedible jerky.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    I used a roaster (picked up from CL for diy sv rig), first time, to roast parboiled potatoes for our Christmas dinner because the oven and eggs were busy, it was not bad!  ;)

Maybe it was my grandmother's. A roaster has it's place just not for an 18 hour rib roast. ;;)