Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellicle

Options
Some of you know I have a lot of bacon going. It is coming out of cure in batches. The current batch out if cure is three slabs that I put in fridge uncovered for pellicle Sunday night. My plan was to smoke last night but couldn't. Then got off late again tonight. Anyone see a problem leaving the slabs uncovered in fridge for another day?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Its already cured.  I see no problem
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

agreed.  They're cured, means they'll wait for you.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Already rinsed I'd safely assume so, I see no seriously rush.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would not have thought anything about it until I reread charcuterie and he mentioned "it will keep like this for 3 days covered". Seems odd to me.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Got the first three slabs from the 30lbs on now. Two on bottom and the pepper bacon on top. Small pieces are just parts I cut off to square up after cure and will use some in my collards tomorrow. Using hickory and will go for 6 hours
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    You're in for a helluva treat. Home cured bacon is awesome

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Can I come over?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    edited December 2014
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

You're in for a helluva treat. Home cured bacon is awesome

Oh yeah. I have gone through a whole freezer already. This is this years stash! Hard to beat for sure. Hoping these will be as good. The pepper slab was softer than I wanted.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    caliking said:

Can I come over?

Any time brother.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Some of you know I have a lot of bacon going. It is coming out of cure in batches. The current batch out if cure is three slabs that I put in fridge uncovered for pellicle Sunday night. My plan was to smoke last night but couldn't. Then got off late again tonight. Anyone see a problem leaving the slabs uncovered in fridge for another day?

Nope
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Options

Chubbs said:

Nope
    Yeah didn't think so Cen-Tex. The fat side on one slab is not as firm as my other batches over the last year. Hoping that is okay. It seemed a weird consistency when it thawed too though. Probably a flabby bastard like myself.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Nope
    Yeah didn't think so Cen-Tex. The fat side on one slab is not as firm as my other batches over the last year. Hoping that is okay. It seemed a weird consistency when it thawed too though. Probably a flabby bastard like myself.

I just had that same thing happen. Did 3 full bellies and one was not as firm as the other two. Turned out it wasn't cured all the way through. Dang.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Options

Chubbs said:

Chubbs said:

Nope

I just had that same thing happen. Did 3 full bellies and one was not as firm as the other two. Turned out it wasn't cured all the way through. Dang.

What did you do in that case? Assume eat like normal it just has a little different flavor?
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Nice. Just found your bacon post I just put together a cold smoker. Don't laugh if you see it. It's just a test run