Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rockwood

Options
Where I live there r very few lumps available. I ordered sum rockwood and I'm trying it tonight. Initial start up the rockwood popped like crazy. Now that it's buring. I must say the smell isn't as strong as my previous charcoal. imageimageimage
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    You will fall in love with it real quick! It just burns so clean and neutral, it's just a good lump.
    NW IOWA
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Philly35. I believe it there's hardly any charcoal smell.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little. I will gladly endure a little popping and snapping to achieve the outstanding results that RW produces. However that said, to date I have went through over 100 pounds of RW on the mini, the large, Unit #1 and Unit #6 and have not had any issues at all with excessive sparking or popping. None what so ever my friend. In my humble opinion, RW is tied with OO as the 2 best lumps out there. Again that's just my findings and opinions. Your grub is looking good. Will be standing by for the finale my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Also, the RW is far and away the most neutral lump that I have found. It has no equal or peer in this arena. It stands alone at the top and unchallenged for near neutral taste.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• g37
    Options
    @SGH‌. I hope my grub turns out good. I'm short on time. I'm cooking them indirect @350 for about 2 hours.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    Options
    They will be fine my friend. Bring it on home.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Still standing by for the finale.

Status- Standing by.

• g37
    Options
    Sorry no pics. Had sum unexpected guest come by. We drank way 2 much and my phone battery died. Sorry again.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • matt121966
    Options
    I love rockwood. Use it all the time.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    SGH said:
    Also, the RW is far and away the most neutral lump that I have found. It has no equal or peer in this arena. It stands alone at the top and unchallenged for near neutral taste.
    @SGH ... oh stop it!  Six days from now, I'll own some ... Dave's Ace said they have a pallet full.  And, eight days after that will be the first cook with it. Geez, you're persistent about getting me to convert to RW.  Sure hope it's good ... my dealer has never used it, so I'm bring him back a bag to try ... maybe he'll stock it.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Sorry @Jeepster47‌, Dave's won't have a pallet full if I get there first...

Just kidding dude, I won't do that to you.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @g37‌, you're going to like Rockwood,,, I gare oon teee...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have been using Rockwood for awhile myself and really agree with @SGH‌...I think you'll really get hooked... Great looking cook thus far....
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    I have 6 bags of a full pallet I bought last nov it is great delivery company sure wonders what is going on when they deliver a pallet of lump to a power company
  • g37
    Options
    No more Rockwood for me. Firecraft told me they won't ship to Hawaii for 10$$$. Firecraft wants to charge me over 100$$$ just for shipping. So I guess it's back to wicked good.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    WGWW &/or WGC was my lump of choice before RW became available locally. WG makes some quality stuff too. If RW was unavailable I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Had 100 pounds of a mix between Rockwood and OO delivered yesterday. Firecraft rocks.
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    g37 said:
    No more Rockwood for me. Firecraft told me they won't ship to Hawaii for 10$$$. Firecraft wants to charge me over 100$$$ just for shipping. So I guess it's back to wicked good.

@g37‌, somebody on the forum was using some kind of coconut charcoal. Do you have that available in Hawaii? I have no idea on performance, ash, costs, good, bad, etc. just wandering if you have it or used it.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • g37
    Options
    @stemc33‌. Haven't seen any type of coconut charcoal. The only lump available here is wicked good, RO, BGE and frontier.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stemc33
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌ had a posting on coconut charcoal a while back. I just thought that since Hawaii has coconuts, maybe they had the coconut briquettes.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @g37‌ with the local choices you just listed WG wins by a landslide IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • g37
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌. I'm new to egging so I'm gonna give RO a try next. It can't be as bad as everyone says it is.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    g37 said:
    @NPHuskerFL‌. I'm new to egging so I'm gonna give RO a try next. It can't be as bad as everyone says it is.

Just ask @mikee.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    It's not so much as RO is bad, It's just not as good as I want it to be for the price,(cheap). I have been down to a dealer 30 miles from me to get OO, and some FOGO, and I found Bayou Classic at an Ace, It really was not bad at all, I rather liked it.

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I'm sorry but the couple bags of Rockwood I got did not even compare to OO or Fogo. Several pounds of small crap/dust in the bottom to clog up my air flow and even the stuff on top was alot of small pieces. I know BTUs are BTUs but they aren't when your airflow is clogged and your egg won't get over 300 cause all the small pieces under a quarter size and dust. I got mine from firecraft so it may have been the shipping but several others have posted the same type of experience. I got a bag of Fogo a couple weeks ago that looked like it got dropped out of the truck and ran over and when I opened it to use it on my weber when I went to fill the chimney I had to pick half the pieces out because they wouldn't fit in the chimney they were so large. Somehow Fogo and OO survive the shipping fine and I have ordered probably 1000 pounds of OO online.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lit said:
    I'm sorry but the couple bags of Rockwood I got did not even compare to OO or Fogo. Several pounds of small crap/dust in the bottom to clog up my air flow and even the stuff on top was alot of small pieces. I know BTUs are BTUs but they aren't when your airflow is clogged and your egg won't get over 300 cause all the small pieces under a quarter size and dust. I got mine from firecraft so it may have been the shipping but several others have posted the same type of experience. I got a bag of Fogo a couple weeks ago that looked like it got dropped out of the truck and ran over and when I opened it to use it on my weber when I went to fill the chimney I had to pick half the pieces out because they wouldn't fit in the chimney they were so large. Somehow Fogo and OO survive the shipping fine and I have ordered probably 1000 pounds of OO online.
    Hope to try RW and Fogo in the future but my fav is OO so far. Like you said, so far not a bad bag.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I finally found a dealer locally that carries Rockwood and WGWW, however after looking at the price of $28.95 for a 20# bag I will gadly stick to using Ozark Oak at 12.50 for a 20# bag.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• g37
    Options
    I pay 34$ for a bag of WGWW.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Holy smoke! Or at least it should be. ;)
  • g37
    Options
    The price of living in paradise.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii