Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - Need some simple basic instuctions please

Options
Doing a brisket flat, and would like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thank you in advance...

1. Temp?
  2. Approx time per lb?
  3. Approx time in FTC?
  4. Rub or Marinade?
  5. If Rub, mustard or no mustard?
“To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.” - AB

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    edited December 2014
    Options
    welcome! 

1. 250 dome 

2. 1 - 1-1/2 hrs per pound 

3. Only need to FTC if done early but then can be several hours 

4. Rub: 50/50 blend kosher salt and black pepper 

5. Mustard is fine but I like to use canola. 

Should be done in the 190 - 200 internal temp range as a guide but always cook to tenderness. When you probe against the grain it should be like warm butter. 

Have fun and post picks.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    meatfire said:
    Doing a brisket flat, and would like to keep it as simple as possible.
    1. Temp?
    2. Approx time per lb?
    3. Approx time in FTC?
    4. Rub or Marinade?
    5. If Rub, mustard or no mustard?
    Brother your question has limitless answers. But seeing how you are doing a "flat" only instead of a full packer, I will offer one of many ways.
    1. 250-275 degrees works and works well. It also gives you time to catch and make adjustments. The window doesn't shut near as fast when running these temps.
    2. Depending on the meat and several other cooking conditions, you are looking at around 1 hour per pound if stay more toward the 275 degree arena. Remember, this is just a guide, not an absolute. To many things can and will affect time. 
    3. This also depends. If your brisket is "done" when you pull it, then no "FTC" is required. Just a simple rest until carving temp. 
    4. When doing a "flat" only, I either marinade and rub or inject and rub. A flat is far more apt to dry out than a packer. 
    5. Again this is a personal choice. I use cold clear well water in place of mustard. I myself see no difference in the two as they are just a simple binder. Nothing more.
    Sorry for being so brief, but sadly I'm at work today.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick and exacting advice.  I'm going to inject and rub with S&P, refrigerate overnight, and start it tomorrow around 11am.  Thanks again.
    “To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.” - AB
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @meatfire-
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  All good info above-don't know the size of your flat but you are better served if you start early and finish early rather than stressing to punch it home against a deadline.  You can easily FTC 4-6 hours and that gives you quite a target finish window.  FWIW-
    Regardless enjoy  the cook!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • meatfire
    Options
    Thank you lousubcap.  On second thought, probably not a good idea to rub with S&P and then refrigerate.  The salt will dehydrate the meat won't it? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No worries about dehydrating with the salt the day before.  

No worries about dehydrating with the salt the day before.  

Great, good to know. Thank you.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome  and dont forget to take pictures

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • meatfire
    Options
    Here we go.  Sorry if these pictures find you in less than desirable weather.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome aboard, you're in good hands.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    meatfire said:

Good luck. You have been given great info. I did notice you probably location and you may want to come in from the side next time. I find it gives me a better reading to when done IMHO.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Awaiting final shots and good luck.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey @meatfire Welcome, looking forward to the finale pics
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • meatfire
    Options

meatfire said:

Good luck. You have been given great info. I did notice you probably location and you may want to come in from the side next time. I find it gives me a better reading to when done IMHO.

Ok, thanks for the tip.
  • meatfire
    Options
    I can't believe the temp just sticks there for hours. This thing is amazing.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @meatfire-sounds like a plan coming together.  As a side note-being lazy, I rotate my dome thermo so the target temp is vertical (pull out on the thermo so you don't ruin the calibration) and then a quick glance lets me know how things are tending/progressing.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • meatfire
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@meatfire-sounds like a plan coming together.  As a side note-being lazy, I rotate my dome thermo so the target temp is vertical (pull out on the thermo so you don't ruin the calibration) and then a quick glance lets me know how things are tending/progressing.  FWIW-

Again, another great tip. Thanks! I'm at 174° right now.
  • meatfire
    Options
    Ok, I pulled it at 189 degrees.  I hope I didn't screw this up.  Probe was entering and exiting with ease.  It's resting now for a bit. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @meatfire-If you had the "feel" then you are good.  But a true flat is a bit of a challenge.  Just don't slice til ready to serve as it can dry out before your eyes.  Regardless, enjoy the eats.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I also rotate the thermometer so that my desired cooking temperature would make the needle vertical. I'd rather peek out the window than to put shoes and a winter jacket on when its 30* outside.
  • meatfire
    Options
    Finished product.  I hope this is what it should look like.  Wife and I will be consuming in 20 minutes.  We eat late.  Thanks everyone for the advice and tips.  Great community. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The smoke ring in that first pic is a thing of beauty.
  • meatfire
    Options

Ok, so that's a good thing? It was delish.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    meatfire said:
    Ok, so that's a good thing? It was delish.

that's a good thing visually. Taste is more important to me.