Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide for 22?

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Need some help with an upcoming x-mas cook at my dad's.  Family is far from foodies, but can cook and are bringing apps, snacks, etc.  Would like to keep things simple and cheap.  My Midwestern redneck family wouldn't appreciate food snobbery shtuff like dry aged beef or cured salmon anyways.  

Thinking maybe a cooler with some quality chicken breasts(two tied together) , seared on my dad's Weber gasser with the Baking Steel.  Brother is smoking a 12lb ham on the WSM.  Could do Kings Hawaiian rolls with chicken log sliced for sammies, couple of sauces?  Do you guys add herbs, oil, marinade to bag while sous viding?  Or brine before SV?  How bout preferred time and temps?  CT, cali, hope you got your ears on ;)
Cook suggestions welcomed. 

Couple of shots of the new toys, ended up with the surf and turf package.  The red color was delayed due to some QC issues, color is pretty badass.  

Can't wait to get up and running.....some good ol' food nerd fun in the camper next year. lol

Shout out to @Canugghead for the heads up on this deal months ago.  Glad my first kickstarter support finally delivered. 
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't season in the bag with proteins. Havent found the benefit yet (could be missing it but I've looked). No need to do a chicken log if you aren't going to get weird with meat glue (I'll send you some if you want). If you arent stuffing or wrapping them you are just making thick chicken....don't see the Benny with that.

SV chicken hard seared on CI with salt and pepper is really good. Very simple though. Maybe a few dipping sauces or,,,PM me and I'll give you some other ideas
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Focker
    Options
    10-4, will PM
    Thanks
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Nice, congrats!  you're in good hands with CT.  My black one is off by couple of degrees F when checked against Thermapen.  Waiting for the red one to arrive Thursday, will check that out before deciding on the next step.
    canuckland
  • Focker
    Options
    Good to know.  Gonna check mine out with the Thermapen as well. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I season before bagging, then I season again before searing or smoking (whatever happens after unbagging).  CT and I diverge in our opinions here. 

Buy a big turkey and debone it, cook the breasts to 147 for a few hours and the dark meat at 160 overnight, then then throw it all on the smoker or just sear it with some coffee rub. 

You can do beef short ribs at 138 for 72 hours then give them a sear.

Leg of lamb is a good bet.

Pork loin - 135 for a few hours, then cut thick into chops and a hot sear with a caramelizing sauce just for the sear marks. 

Plenty of cool stuff to do.
    Options
    @nolaegghead,

Thanks man.  

Turkey, short ribs, loin all sound good.  Lamb might not work with this crowd.  I wouldn't have a problem though.

Got a complimentary holiday bird to use up from work.  Great suggestions.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    All good advice above. I've had Nola's SV food and it was great. We do it different as proven by our choice of t shirt at brisket camp. Vintage Atari vs. rainbow warrior troll shirt :)).
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I wish I had your rainbow warrior troll shirt.  I pine for it!
    I wish I had your rainbow warrior troll shirt.  I pine for it!

on the way.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is a great shirt.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Reminds me of my buddy Pete's helmet before a LeMons race.  His friends stole his helmet and "rainbowed" it with stickers.  At the gear inspection, he discovered the adulterations.   Behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1do9I8nw-uc
    Options
    Sorry for the hijack, Focker!
    Options
    No worries nola.

Both units were 0.2 degrees over, precise enough for me. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I got a black one, but I really like how the red turned out. Nice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Options
    @DMW

I agree.  Said alot about the folks at Anova.  They could have sent out the shade they weren't quite happy with to the masses, but didn't. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Nice, congrats!  you're in good hands with CT.  My black one is off by couple of degrees F when checked against Thermapen.  Waiting for the red one to arrive Thursday, will check that out before deciding on the next step.
    @Canugghead,
    Found this in the online manual....

"Cover your tank with foil and wait about 15 minutes for temperature equilibration –
    the number one source of temperature read differences is an uncovered tank. If you
    want your system to match your personal thermometer, use the calibration function
    provided in the phone application to change the temperature offset." 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    @Canugghead,

I also used two thermapens (one old, one new)  hahaha

Have you heard from Anova since posting your findings?  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Canugghead
    Options
    They said I can send it back. I haven't decided if it's worth sending, due to cross border Fedex and customs hassles.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Focker‌ - I'm nowhere near being as proficient with SV as some of the stalwarts on here, but here's my take on seasoning in the bag vs. later :

I like to use the bag juice to make a pan sauce. If I season the meat then bag it, the sauce ends up tasting like the rub. Sometimes thats ok, but I like the sauce to stand out a bit on its own. So now I prefer to season after the SV part, that way I can season the meat and the sauce differently.

I like the idea of turkey breast or short ribs. Just saw that costco sells a pack of 10 or so short ribs. Short ribs may be more forgiving if cooking for a large crowd and transporting.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They said I can send it back. I haven't decided if it's worth sending, due to cross border Fedex and customs hassles.
    I hear ya.  Just keep a mental note of variances and dial in accordingly.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The short ribs will be fun. Med rare fall off the bone short ribs! You can do them way ahead of time and quick sear them for delish little bites of beefy goodness

• Focker
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Focker‌ - I'm nowhere near being as proficient with SV as some of the stalwarts on here, but here's my take on seasoning in the bag vs. later : I like to use the bag juice to make a pan sauce. If I season the meat then bag it, the sauce ends up tasting like the rub. Sometimes thats ok, but I like the sauce to stand out a bit on its own. So now I prefer to season after the SV part, that way I can season the meat and the sauce differently. I like the idea of turkey breast or short ribs. Just saw that costco sells a pack of 10 or so short ribs. Short ribs may be more forgiving if cooking for a large crowd and transporting.
    @caliking,

Good point about the seasoning/sauce flavor carryover.  Going to check out Sam's Club to see if they carry short ribs.  Definitely an option.  Appreciate your input. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The short ribs will be fun. Med rare fall off the bone short ribs! You can do them way ahead of time and quick sear them for delish little bites of beefy goodness

Man @The Cen-Tex Smoker, think we've got a winner.  So 138 for 72 hrs, like nola posted above.  Been reading Baldwin's site today and watching a couple of his vids.  Love the wave at the start.  :))
    Dude knows his stuff though.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    Do the short ribs. And deep fry them to finish them if you can.

I have some in right now that will be ready to dunk in hot oil Saturday night.

Here's some from Thanksgiving I did and served as an app. 72 hours at 138*F, seasoned first with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick. After the SV I sliced into cubes for the fry, more surface area for yummy bits.

After the bath:

Sliced into cubes and on skewers:

Oil bath:

Magic bites:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Options
    @DMW,

Hail yea!  That looks awesome.

My dad has a fryer.  Will clean it up and replace oil. What gets used?  Veg, peanut?  How long did you fry them?

Done deal guys.  Thanks again to everyone for the help. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• DMW
    Options
    @Focker
    I used Canola oil. I fried at 380* for aprox 30 seconds. I really liked having them on skewers as I could pull them up to check on the color. A fry basket would work as well if you have more than a handful at once. You aren't cooking them in the fryer, just finishing the outside.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Canugghead
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @DMW that last photo looks killer!  where's the cayenne spiced, smoked chocolate dip?

canuckland
  • DMW
    Options
    @Canugghead‌ Thanks, I reduced the bag juice a bit and had that as a dipping sauce.

Now tell me about this cayenne spiced, smoked chocolate dip. That sounds incredible.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Focker
    Options
    DMW said:
    @Focker
    I used Canola oil. I fried at 380* for aprox 30 seconds. I really liked having them on skewers as I could pull them up to check on the color. A fry basket would work as well if you have more than a handful at once. You aren't cooking them in the fryer, just finishing the outside.
    Thanks for the tips.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities