Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever replaced an Ipad 2 battery?

Options
Hello everyone. I have two Ipad 2's that need to have the battery replaced. I incorrectly assumed this would be no big deal. It appears that you can send it back to Apple and for $99 each they will do it. I don't really like the idea of sending them off. 

I had hoped to just do it myself. The first thing is locating the batteries. I found a website, directfix.com, that offers them for $19.99, but I am not sure how legit they are. 

The next thing that bothers me is the fact that the pads have to be completely disassembled just to change the damn battery. Wow! I have watched a few videos of how this is done, and it looks like juggling a chainsaw while walking on a tightrope. 

If any of you have performed this operation and can advise me on where to get the battery and give me some reassurance that a regular guy can do it I would appreciate it. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• NervousDad
    Options
    I haven't but I've done other Apple repairs (iPhone battery,screens...). They are all very tedious. I always use iFixit as my guide and never had a failure yet, but I've had some close calls.

Aurora,OH
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks @NervousDad! If I do it I will also be a Nervous Dad since these are my kids IPads. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    John, is there anyone aroud town that can do it? We have a couple of places here and you know Dalton's not a big city. Maybe be more than DIY, but significantly less than Apple and certainly less stressful.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is how I do it.  (replace operator with youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AOpomu9V6Q
    I just checked with Apple. They will not even replace the batteries because the units are out of warranty. My only option with them is to trade the units in and purchase two new ones for $249 each. 

Apple sucks. All I need is a battery and they want you to buy a new unit. Thankfully they aren't in the car business. 

I have a friend that replaces the screens etc on Ipads so I have contacted him about doing it. I can just picture myself screwing them up. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Find a local cell phone repair shop. This is how I had my screen replaced. After pricing out everything I need(tools for the job and supplies), it ended up being cheaper to have the local place do it. He did everything, including replacing batteries.

Also, find a local Apple Store. Unless it has changed, you used to be able to get an iPhone battery replaced for $79,  out of warranty. I'd presume it would be the same type of deal for iPads. I know you can ship them in, but I'd rather do stuff face to face.

I just checked, this is from Apple Support:

iPad Owners

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $99, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I saw that on their site as well, but both my local store, and the support number said the same thing. $249 for an out of warranty replacement. I told them I don't need new pads just new batteries, and she said it would still cost $249! 

I just checked with my local repair guy, and he can replace the batteries with generic ones for $70 and original one for $105 each. I am just going to let him do it. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I saw that on their site as well, but both my local store, and the support number said the same thing. $249 for an out of warranty replacement. I told them I don't need new pads just new batteries, and she said it would still cost $249! 

I just checked with my local repair guy, and he can replace the batteries with generic ones for $70 and original one for $105 each. I am just going to let him do it. 

Weird. Good find with the local guy. I was really impressed with mine.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I hope I will be as well. I know so him so hopefully he will do a good job. 

• aukerns08
    Options
    I've done a bunch of them it's a major pain in the ass.  You have to remove the glass which is very fragile by heating up the device and putting a thin metal tool between the frame and the glass to cut the adhesive.  Then you have to remove the LCD just to get to the connections to completely remove the glass and LCD from the device to work on the part that's broken.  If you make it that far without damaging anything you're doing very good and the device has minimal to no frame warp which happens over time just from the device heating up from normal use and cooling back down.  You then have to remove the main board to get the battery out.  Then after you change the battery you get to put it all back together and clean up the glass to put new adhesive on it to stick it back to the frame.  On the iPad 2 you need to let the adhesive set for a few hours preferably in some sort of clamp before you use it again.  If you know what you're doing and everything goes smooth it's a minimum of an hour start to finish.  Your prices are being quoted high to cover the cost of the new glass, the wifi antenna and power cable that's all attached to the glass and easily damaged just to open the stupid thing up.  Apple definitely designed the iPad to not be worked on when something breaks to force more sales, that's not just an Apple thing, they're all doing the same with the tablets.  It can be done and a good repair tech can do a good job, there's just a lot of hacks out there as well.  The mobile repair industry is a big game right now that a lot of people are trying to get into no matter their experience level, everyone is looking for their slice of the $1 billion and growing pie.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited December 2014
    Options
    different battery, but similar frustration...I have to remove the lower portion of the front fender to replace the battery in my '95 Corvette!
    imageimage
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thank you aukerns08. I watched a lot of those videos this morning and that is when I decided not to try it. 

I will gladly pay $105 to have it done right. I am hopeful the guy will do a good job. 

@RRP that sounds like a major pain! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry brother, I have never changed the battery before. But I have slung one across the yard in a moment of anger before. I know that won't help you with the battery issue, but it sure relieves stress.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2014
    Options
    There are some simple instructions here.  Same method I used to get my DMFT figured out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @sumoconnell that sounds simple enough! 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    RRP said:
    different battery, but similar frustration...I have to remove the lower portion of the front fender to replace the battery in my '95 Corvette!
    imageimage
    But its a corvette, so I don't feel sorry for you!
    ;):D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I just put and SSD into a core 2 duo macbook pro.  Pain in the ass, had to buy a micro torx bit and remove about 25 screws, glue and tape. 

@RRP - sweet wheels man.  How many HP that thing have?  
    Options

@RRP - sweet wheels man.  How many HP that thing have?  
    Small V-8 for that time, but it still rips this old fart down the road as fast as I care! BTW last year I finally hit 16K on the odometer and this summer I abused the sh*t out of it and racked up a whole another 34 miles before putting it back into storage and back up on to FlatStoppers to protected the rubber! had I known nearly 20 years ago what I know now I would have bough a convertible with a bad ass mill to give me a near stroke every time I fired that baby up! But...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @RRP‌ Ron, I like the way you roll.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My car has one wheel off and is sitting in the driveway on a jack stand.  And it will stay that way until I get tires delivered on Monday from TireRack.com (and installed on the front rims). 

Pierced the sidewall on a crappy New Orleans road yesterday.  I knew about the crevice, in the middle of the road, but just missed the maneuver around it and 2 seconds after I rolled over it, sounded like the Starship Enterprise just got attacked by Klingons.  Dash lit up "Flat Tyre".  Beeping alarms went off. Probably some Canadians programmed that for English export.

So I called up everyone in town, including the Porsche dealer and the old Porsche dealer and no one has my front tires in stock.  Rather than pay through the ass for them to order, I just bought from tirerack.  I have a rare size tire.  235/35R19 on the front and 265/35R29 on the rear.  Blew one sidewall out, rim is fine, decided to order a matching pair and keep the old good tire as a backup so I don't have to sit in the driveway for 4 days waiting on a replacement for the next time this sh*t happens.
    Options
    Hmm! Too much work. I suggest getting a new iPad, Corvette, and Porsche. I'll take your broken down $#!+ off your hands.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming