Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

soaked wood chunks or not?

Options
Getting conflicting info. Traditionally keep in bucket of water..thoughts?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,049
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You will find that almost nobody here soaks their chips or chunks. It's unnecessary with the Egg.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,681
    Options
    +1 what John said.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    You will find that almost nobody here soaks their chips or chunks. It's unnecessary with the Egg.
    This.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    If you want steam soak them, if you want smoke don't.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Ok...what ratio wood to lump?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Ok...what ratio wood to lump?
    That really depends on how much smoke you want, I usually put some large pieces of lump at the bottom then a couple chunks then more lump and a couple more chunks then top it off with lump so maybe 4 large chunks are enough for me. If I have chips I just mix them throughout but I mostly use chunks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

I started out soaking them but have since given up the practice based on comments from others.  I usually use a handful of chips for shorter cooks and chunks for low and slows.  Mix them up with the lump and it will allow you to get smoke for a longer period of time.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I never soak chips anymore (used to but I get better smoke from dry chips). I really only use smoke chips when doing poultry or burgers as they take smoke very quickly. I like hickory chips on burgers and use mesquite or cherry on my spatchcock chicken. I get the egg up to cooking temp with the platesetter in place. Then right before I put the food on, I move the platesetter and sprinkle the chips around the perimeter of the fire. If you prefer to go raised direct, you don't have to worry about the platesetter. They only smoke for 3-5 minutes but it's enough to get the flavor I like. 

A couple of days ago, I was doing a pork butt and couldn't get the smoke to clear to that nice blue I was after. Turned out that I had one chunk of hickory that must have been wet (not cured) and was smoldering nasty smelling smoke so I pulled it out with tongs and it cleared up right away. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I never soak chunks.  The Virtual Weber Bullet has a good discussion (and video) on why it is not necessary to soak chunks.  Here's the link: 

http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html

I do soak chips, however, as they burn up too quickly if not soaked.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I used to soak until I learned it was a waste of time & effort.

Being somewhat on the lazy side, anything that justifies doing less work is a good enough reason for me.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I soak mine. Putting dry chips on a hot fire creates a lot of smoke in just a few seconds. While getting the place setter, drip pan, grill/v-rack in place, my eyes burn from the intense smoke. Soaking them gives me a few more seconds to get things assembled.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I soak chips not chunks.  I use 1 fist sized chunk to smoke (hickory chunk w/ oak lump).

Don't be afraid to experiment.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    No wet chips or chunks ever.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any time I have wet chunks, well, let's just say it'll be a rough morning.

Seasoned wood is around 10-20% moisture content.  If you soak it, the outer layer of the wood gets saturated, but it takes a looong time before that moisture makes its way into the wood. 

Throwing soaked chips into a fire gives you a satisfying visual blast of smoke (which is mostly steam mixed in with whatever smoke that's already there).  Water doesn't impart flavor to food.  The visual orgasm melds with human superstition - people repeat what works.  The water is long gone before one spec of actual pyrolysis occurs.  Soaking does delay the burning that gives off smoke. 

Pyrolysis is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material at elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen (or any halogen). It involves the simultaneous change of chemical composition and physical phase, and is irreversible.

Seasoned wood is around 10-20% moisture content.  If you soak it, the outer layer of the wood gets saturated, but it takes a looong time before that moisture makes its way into the wood. 

Throwing soaked chips into a fire gives you a satisfying visual blast of smoke (which is mostly steam mixed in with whatever smoke that's already there).  Water doesn't impart flavor to food.  The visual orgasm melds with human superstition - people repeat what works.  The water is long gone before one spec of actual pyrolysis occurs.  Soaking does delay the burning that gives off smoke. 

Pyrolysis is a thermochemical decomposition of organic material at elevated temperatures in the absence of oxygen (or any halogen). It involves the simultaneous change of chemical composition and physical phase, and is irreversible.
    I love this forum.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options

Knowing this crowd as much as I don't, I am sure that this has been brought up before, but what the heck.  I'm pointing to it anyway.

THIS advice is from the BGE website.

"SOAK your wood chips, chunks or cooking planks BEFORE use
    This will intensify flavor, prolong the smoking value and avoid unwanted flash burning of the woods. . . . "

As much as I enjoy getting my wood wet, I heartily disagree.  On our Egg, I NEVER soak wood. 

(In our pre-Egg days, I did - no longer.)

BGE also says:

" . . . .  Chips, chunks and cooking planks may be soaked in water or other options such as juice or wine for different flavors . . . . "

I am doubtful of that as well, but I'm open to comments from those with experience. 

I have seen 'flavored' wood chips for sale (Jack Daniels, I think, and some others), but I've assumed that is only marketing gimmickry at work.  I confess that I've never tried them.

Sometimes, I'm just suspicious of others' claims.

Somehow, soaking wood in wine seems a little . . .

. . . dumbfucky.  :|

B-)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    edited December 2014
    Options

I love this forum.  

8-}

Me too!

=))

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    @Sardonicus‌ I believe the jack Daniels chips aren't flavored per say, but they're old barrels from making JD.
  • Sardonicus
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    @Sardonicus‌ I believe the jack Daniels chips aren't flavored per se, but they're old barrels from making JD.

@BYS1981, You are correct, sir. 

I took the labeling as a claim of flavor attribution.   Didn't you?

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've used the JD barrel chips and a bag of Tabasco chips my wife bought me.
    They made smoke.  Food tasted like smoked.  If you want your food to taste like JD, try marinading it in some JD.  If you want your food to taste like Tabasco, use the Tabasco sauce bottle sitting on your kitchen table.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.