Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VOC's versus Smoke

Options
I'm going to play the devils advocate here by sparking a discussion on smoke. After loading my LBGE the other day with fresh charcoal, and lighting it, the egg smoked quite a bit for a while. I occurred to me that smoke is the product of incomplete combustion... right? When first lighting the coal, the egg is cooler and there may be a certain amount of moisture trapped in the egg and or in the charcoal resulting in an incomplete combustion. The charcoal itself may not always be 100% carbonized resulting in VOC (volatile organic compounds). Thus.... smoke. The charcoal we use is supposed to be a food grade hardwood and so is the wood chips or chunks we are about to use.
Now that the egg is heated up and stable, we throw wood chips or chunks onto the coals to smoke whatever we want "SMOKED" Sometimes we will soak the wood prior to adding to the egg to extend or slow down the rate of burn. Since there really isn't enough oxygen being applied to generate flames, we produce smoke. Perfect. Are we not producing an incomplete combustion of volatile (burnable) organic (wood) compounds? What is the difference? How does the smoke know when to change from VOC's to "Good smoke"?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I believe it's at a certain temp it changes from bad to good. I am not sure what temp it is, but I like smoking meat at around 250. Also after a certain amount of time the VOC's will burn off. I also try use fruit woods and lighter nut woods Luke pecan. I don't add a lot of oak, hickory or mesquite wood when I cook, but that's a personal preference.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FarmerTom
    Options

FlashkaBob    , you have no idea the can of worms you just reopened.  For some reason, this becomes a quite controversial topic.  Check out this recent thread:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174027/up-or-down/p1

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @FarmerTom‌ dammit Tommie, you beat me to it! >:)
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm going to play the devils advocate here by sparking a discussion on smoke . . .

=;   I'm warning you.  Don't play with fire.  [-X

(Mrs. O'Leary was probably warned, too.  Obviously, she didn't listen:D  )

. . . we throw wood chips or chunks onto the coals to smoke whatever we want "SMOKED" Sometimes we will soak the wood prior to adding to the egg to extend or slow down the rate of burn. . . .

This is a relatively minor point, but I'll make it so it can be removed from the table.

Soaking wood prior to adding it to the Egg does NOT "extend or slow down the rate of burn".  Wet wood produces nothing but steam. 

The only thing wood-soaking accomplishes is the delay of  the beginning of burn. 

That might be a good idea on your Weber or other non-ceramic grills, but accomplishes nothing on your Egg. 

OTOH, if wood-flavored steam is the goal, carry on. :)    :)>- 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    @Ladeback69 - Then how would you explain cold smoking with something like the Amazin smoker?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I thought it was the cow.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sardonicus
    edited December 2014
    Options

I thought it was the cow.

The cow was proselytized, propagandized, and ultimately duped into behavior contrary to its own interests.

That cow listened to A.M. radio.

In this instance, Mrs. O'Leary is to blame for the aforementioned bovine behavior.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    This forum is so educational.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never thought much about any of this, nor will I. You are overthinking, IMO. I dump in some lump, add a few chunks of smoke wood if I want more smoke (more often than not, I don't) and light the fire. When it smells good, I put the food on. When it's done, I eat. 

Simple.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    @Sardonicus - I live in Kanukistan and can't use a Weber. We have environmental laws that forbid burning an entire bag of charcoal just to get the temp up to 150F in subzero temperatures!  :))

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Woods that are good for smoking, when "pyrolized," produce fumes that have spicelike flavors. Surprisingly to me, vanilla flavor is one of them. Woods pyrolize when there is enough heat to break down the chemical structure of the wood, but not enough oxygen to allow burning.

The problem is then 2 fold.

When making charcoal, there is often a lot of stuff that is left in the lump that is not carbon.  From what I've read, lump charcoal in the US averages around 80% by weight of carbon. VOCs, moisture, bits of uncarbonized wood comprise the rest. None of those produce good flavor, and will probably produce bitter acidic flavors which are possibly carcinogenic. Until enough heat is generated to burn or drive those chemicals off, there's "bad smoke." Usually, this is visible as a dense smoke comprised of condensing water, the chemical bits dissolved in it, and some carbon particles.

So. Let the Egg burn at whatever temperature until there has been enough heat to drive off the residuals from the charcoal making process.

The 2nd problem is that more wood on the coals will just recreate the 1st problem if there is too much air flow. Traditional 'Q gets around this by establishing a good bed of burning coals, and adding just enough wood to keep the fire going, and not exposing the food directly to the fire. Or at least making enough room between the coals and the food.

The Egg and other cookers handles the second problem very well by the restricted airflow. Once the lump is burning cleanly, the kindled charcoal grabs the oxygen before the wood can burn. So the heat pyrolizes the wood, and one gets "good smoke" that is rich in pleasant flavors. There will still be some moisture which can lead to creosote formation, but hopefully little enough that it only forms around the top Egg vent. In the Egg, drier wood is better than wet.

• Sardonicus
    Options
    Never thought much about any of this, nor will I. You are overthinking, IMO. I dump in some lump, add a few chunks of smoke wood if I want more smoke (more often than not, I don't) and light the fire. When it smells good, I put the food on. When it's done, I eat. 

Simple.

Well, yeah - if you wanna go and get all pragmatic and sh!t about it.

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Now there is an answer that I can use. Your post is articulate, informative and well thought out! Thank you sir for this info and now a lot more eggheads will also be better informed. Congratulations!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

@Ladeback69 - Then how would you explain cold smoking with something like the Amazin smoker?

@Flashback Bob‌, I can not other then what I have seen that the smoke is coming from another smoker that is at a higher temp like 200 or more, but by the time it gets to smoker you are using to smoke it in is lower. I've never done cold smoking so I can't answer that exactly. I am just referring to normal smoking of meat. Like @SGH has said before the smoke in the egg comes up from the bottom and settles over the meat. In a reverse flow smoker the smoke and heat comes from the top down on to the meat. I light my egg with an electric element for 10 minutes then pull it it, close the lid and let it get temp I want, set the vents and stabilize it. This takes 15 to 25 minutes depending on temps outside and what temp I am looking for. When the smoke isn't to strong and lightens in color I put the food on.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.