Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have regrets on buying Mini Max?

Options
.... if so, would you want to sell it to me? :D

My dealer said not available until this spring.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-?? I thought you already had a MM.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Nope ... still waiting. Dealer says not until Spring now. I wonder if I could get a non local dealer to ship to me?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Any other dealers around?  I know, probably an obvious question ..
  • tcampbell
    Options
    No regrets but if you have a mini r small you aint missing anything.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    The dealer I bought my small egg from 5 years ago is listed as a bronze dealer. They are for the most part a full MRSP dealer; aka low volume dealer. They had a minimax on the showroom floor and said they had another. I think that the minimax's are more readily available than what we think. By making it sound like they are constrained items, the dealers are able to sell at MSRP.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    No regrets here, but I only had a large and medium. If I had a mini or a small I could see not having a reason to buy one unless for travel. If I already had a mini I don't think I could justify it, but I love it. It is slowly replacing my medium.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I don't think you can compare it to the mini they are not even close. If I had to choose small or MM it would be MM mostly cause the carrier. I hate to kick a dead horse but after having the mini, small, MM, and the evil red Jr I would buy the Jr before the eggs it just seems the perfect balance.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Has anyone tried a full pork butt (8 or 9 pounds) on a MM? Did you need to reload the charcoal? I generally cook mine at 225F for about 12 hours... I like the portability of the MM, but hate the idea of getting up in the middle of the night to feed it.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I only have an XL so the MM seems like a perfect fit for my 2nd Egg
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    No regrets here.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ where are you located? Jim prescott bbq in sterling illinois has some in Stock last I checked
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    No regrets here. Haven't fired up the small since MM showed up. It's prob going on Craigslist soon.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    My dealer in Indianapolis called and said it will be closer to Christmas before they receive their shipment. The letter they received from BGE stated "part shortages" is the reason for the delay.
  • tcampbell
    Options
    DaveM said:

Has anyone tried a full pork butt (8 or 9 pounds) on a MM? Did you need to reload the charcoal? I generally cook mine at 225F for about 12 hours... I like the portability of the MM, but hate the idea of getting up in the middle of the night to feed it.

I cooked a 5# butt at 325 for 5 hours and enough lump left for maybe a couple hrs.At 225 my guess would be at least 10 hrs.maybe more.
  • Lit
    Options
    I did a 7 pounder and had lump left. I forget the exact time but I did 6 plus hours at 300 range and had plenty of lump left over. I think around 12 hours at 250 is a decent estimate for max ranges. For those stating they want the portability its not extremely portable it pretty heavy. I'm 6' 205-210 and work out fairly regular and its work to move it very far.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Lit said:
    I did a 7 pounder and had lump left. I forget the exact time but I did 6 plus hours at 300 range and had plenty of lump left over. I think around 12 hours at 250 is a decent estimate for max ranges. For those stating they want the portability its not extremely portable it pretty heavy. I'm 6' 205-210 and work out fairly regular and its work to move it very far.

Does same hold true for moving the Joe Jr around?
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I don't think very many people ever regret buying a BGE of any size once they discover the great food that they produce!!!  :D

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Lit
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ neither are extremely light. The mini I can pick up in its carten and not even think about it. The KJ and mini max both are more suited for 2 people if you are going very far. I picked both up and carried them from my garage around the house to our deck out back and was out of breath after moving both back to back. Pretty sure the KJ is a little lighter but not enough to make a different maybe 5 pounds or so.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

the only regret I have is that I allowed myself to get my hopes up for a Memorial Day delivery, then for a 4th of July delivery, then for a Labor Day delivery, then for an early football season delivery, and then for a November 1 delivery, and well, you all get the idea

worth the wait and am excited to have the MiniMax.  If you're unable to find one from another dealer, it'll be worth the wait.  I am very happy with the MiniMax.  I've had it since the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and have used it five times- sorry, I've been slacking.  This thing could be used every night.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My dealer has had two on his floor for the last month or more. Not sure if he has sold any or not or will Shipp eggs. He ships other things he sells, but I don't think they will the eggs. I am waiting to what I get for Christmas and go from there. I also want 1080p 3d projector for my movie and sports room. That's higher on my list and double the cost of a MM.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    My dealer has had two on his floor for the last month or more. Not sure if he has sold any or not or will Shipp eggs. He ships other things he sells, but I don't think they will the eggs. I am waiting to what I get for Christmas and go from there. I also want 1080p 3d projector for my movie and sports room. That's higher on my list and double the cost of a MM.
    can I come over with my minimax and watch football in your sports room?  sounds pretty cool
  • Ladeback69
    Options

can I come over with my minimax and watch football in your sports room?  sounds pretty cool

I have a 10' diagonal screen and 720p projector let me barrow tell last year before Christmas. The wife said when I could get down the stairs on my own I could replace it with a better projector. It's not finished but, I have 5.1 surround and a the room it it is in is 20'x60' if use the whole basement. Until the walls are finished I will leave the screen and projector mobile so we can use it outside this summer. It's set up on the end of me basement that is 20'x24'. Your are more then welcome to come over with the minax and watch on my 60" with 5.2 surr

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Here is the main floor.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    I don't think very many people ever regret buying a BGE of any size once they discover the great food that they produce!!!  :D

I have 3 different brands of Kamado....they all produce food that is excellent and none of them produce food which is any better, or worse than any of the others. Just saying.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • westernbbq
    Options

Ladeback-

THAT is the way to watch FOOTBALL!

• Lit
    edited December 2014
    Options

@ladeback69 I saw this projector on an I want that show the other day. It will do a 100" screen less than 2 feet from the wall.

• Lit
    Options
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Gogogordy ,

I totally agree with you. 
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Here is the projector I am looking at getting. It comes with 2 pair's of 3D glasses.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EPSJXM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1418055515&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Kansas City, Mo.