Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feeding 30 people

Options
I am throwing a Christmas party and we have about 30 people RSVP'd. I am thinking about doing a brisket and a pork butt. Does anyone have an estimate on how many people a packer will feed? 

Dallas, TX

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Make that 31, and I will help cleanup. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    For sure @johnkitchens Wait, you're a GA fan.....we probably won't have enough
    Dallas, TX
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Just how much do you plan on serving each person?  Self serve will take more people tend to take extra themselves.  Bread is the key to stretching food in catering.  Serving two meats will see you run out of one or the other if not both for 30 guys IMO.  Two of each could get you leftovers, maybe two big butts and do pulled pork sandwiches? 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy! I have found that a 15 pound packer will serve 20-25 people, assuming that there are other dishes. I'd probably do 1 big brisket and 2 pork butts if you have ample sides. 

Cheers, and happy cookin.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Is @SGH attending?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    To stretch the pulled pork, serve the meat on the bun with the bun held over serving dish, so that spillover goes back in the pot. I think I read somewhere that 1/3 lb uncooked pork butt per head is the estimate. Of course, this also depends on how many men, women, children, teenagers you are feeding, and apps, sides, etc. I would probably serve sliders. Hawaiian Rolls taste great as pulled pork sliders.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Howdy! I have found that a 15 pound packer will serve 20-25 people, assuming that there are other dishes. I'd probably do 1 big brisket and 2 pork butts if you have ample sides. 

Cheers, and happy cookin.
    Chris
    OK, so what's the estimate on each pork butt? Are you saying 5 people per butt? That seems like a lot of food per person.....
    Dallas, TX
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I usually figure around 50% weight loss during cooking. It is usually less.

In my head (which ain't always right, but it has worked historically :)
    15 pound brisket cooks down to 8.  1/4 pound per person and it could feed 32.
    Two 8 pound butts, same formula.

You'd should be covered there, but you never know. I cooked 2 briskets and 2 butts for a class of 15 people, and it was all gone. When I did the calculations, the average weight of meat each person ate was over 1 pound. I still scratch my head, but sometimes people will surprise you with how much good BBQ they can wedge.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    How about a Tech fan? Any room for that?
  • TN2TX
    Options
    Tech fans are welcome @theyolksonyou We just don't let dogs in the house. 
    Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    This is the first time in my life I have been discriminated against because of my allegiance to a sports team. 

I for one would think that in the year 2014 we could rise above jealousy and hatred and all come together as one. 

I am sorely disappointed in the unfortunate turn of events. : ( 

• TN2TX
    Options
    This is the first time in my life I have been discriminated against because of my allegiance to a sports team. 

I for one would think that in the year 2014 we could rise above jealousy and hatred and all come together as one. 

I am sorely disappointed in the unfortunate turn of events. : ( 
    What is this world coming to? 
    Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I wish I knew. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ -- don't you feel like breaking windows at McDonald's?
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I don't know how far I may take it. 

• TN2TX
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @johnkitchens‌ -- don't you feel like breaking windows at McDonald's?
    This thread escalated quickly. Hide ya kids, hide ya wife. 
    Dallas, TX
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    They are safe.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like to overestimate and have leftovers, then send people home with them.  That also protects you from running out of food, which, in New Orleans, will get you shot.
    Options
    +1
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Is @SGH attending?

I sure wish that I could. I would take care of the leftovers for him. After all, what are friends for :P

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TN2TX
    Options
    OK, so the headcount has been updated to 37 people. I am kinda freaking out. First off, my house isn't that big. Secondly, how much food do I need?!?!? 

I am thinking 2 pork butts and 1 brisket. We are doing a baked potato bar and some other apps. 

Should that cover almost 40 people? About half are guys. 
    Dallas, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    People must have heard you're cooking on the egg ;). It'll probably be up to 50 before you know it...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • TN2TX
    Options
    XC242 said:
    People must have heard you're cooking on the egg ;). It'll probably be up to 50 before you know it...
    Don't say that! I'll be ordering take out if that's the case 
    Dallas, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Ah, no worries, you'll do fine. Can you cook something extra the day before and keep it in the fridge? Or have burgers or something like that you could throw on and cook quickly if needed? I'm like you and would be worrying about not having enough.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    IMHO I don't think that is even close.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked a ham and 30 pounds of brisket couple of weeks ago for 50.  There was a lot of other food, but the brisket was completely gone.
    Options
    I've definitely seen guys eat a lb of pork. I'm not sure what type of party it is but a lot of guys eat a plate, pound drinks and eat again. Any other Eggers close by?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    For a butt, I assume 50% yield which I know is conservative but makes sure you have enough. Then I assume 1/3 per pound per person. More if all men. Less if ladies and kids. And leftovers are always good.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • TN2TX
    Options
    henapple said:
    I've definitely seen guys eat a lb of pork. I'm not sure what type of party it is but a lot of guys eat a plate, pound drinks and eat again. Any other Eggers close by?
    That's what I am worried about. I think i'll go 2 butts and 2 briskets. SURELY that will be enough.... Unless a couple of you guys show up  :D
    Dallas, TX