Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fogo Lump Sale at Amazon

Options

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The fogo was $29 a 35lb bag the other day. Its worth 3 times the price of royal oak.
  • Lit
    Options
    And your royal oak is 17.6 pounds right?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mikee said:

At over $1 a pound it's over priced. I get Royal Oak for $11 for 20 pounds.

And you get what you pay for IMHO
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @theyolksonyou - I couldn't have said it better.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Plenty happy with RO. The last bag was 98% of quarter size pieces or larger; although that's not  always the case. Within 10 minutes dome temp was 550*.

Why pay double the price? I got what I paid for and then some!
  • Lit
    Options
    Mikee I paid the same price for lump that is twice the quality and it was delivered to my door. RO isn't horrible but settling for something that is usable to save a couple dollars doesn't make alot is sense to me with how expensive food is.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @mikee as long as you're happy...
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    To each, their own. RO is my go to lump. The dealer I get it from is 60 miles away. Fortunately I drive a company van and only have to detour 3 miles to get it. The bad news is that I do not always get in that area and have to get other lump.

While I will agree that not all lump is equal, there are a lot of similarities. Lump made from oak is not going to vary much from one to another. The difference is about the pieces in the bag. Dust and chips are basically just fillers and of no use. Once a piece of oak is converted to charcoal, there is little difference to the label on the bag.

I have had really good RO and some bags that were not as great. The big difference was the size of the pieces and the amount of waste.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @mikee not all lump is oak. There is a big difference in lumps. FOGO is very dense and burns a very long time. I can cook for 12 hrs or more in the large and have well over half a load left. Rock wood burns very clean and imparts very little flavor into the food. It's not all about the amount of dust and size of chunks.

as you said, to each his own. Don't know your geography, but 60 miles seems a long way to go to get RO as it is readily available at Walmart and big box stores.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Not all lump is equal, and that's been debated here in the past (and will be in the future). There are many variables involved in making lump even if the starting material is the same e.g. How carbonized the wood gets as it becomes lump charcoal is determined by how much oxygen is allowed into the chamber as the wood burns... And other factors.

But use what you like and/or is available in your neck of the woods.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    Have had absolutely horrible luck with RO this year bought from WallyWorld in the 17.6 lb bags.  TONS of small, unusable pieces and lots of dust.  Basically garbage.  Probably half the bag unusable - all 3 bags. 

Bought 10 bags of OO from Firecraft and the first bag was all usable pieces..very little chips and dust.  Just got a bag of Fogo delivered from Amazon.  Haven't opened the Fogo yet but am pretty sure it's gonna be awesome based on everyone else's experiences..came in a big honkin box that I haven't even had time to open yet, but box appears to be in great shape..

I'm mixing lump to get rid of the RO - start off loading the bottom of the Mini with OO, put my electric lighter on, followed by more OO - then a few handfuls of the tiny RO pieces just to burn the stuff up..

I'm sticking with OO or Fogo going forward.  I like RO but it's way too inconsistent in size.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Mikee‌ I found this in several bags of RO. It's plastic I'm sure of it. Rocks and kiln chunks I'm ok with, not plastic. image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BillyLove
    Options
    Plastic....no thank you. I will stick with my rockwood lump.
    Concord, NC. family = 1 XL BGE -1 Large BGE - 1 MiniMax
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Just picked up 2 bags of Best of the West Mesquite from Sams. 20lb bags for $8.98.
    After trying several brands, this is my favorite.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    Options
    As of today, 12/3/14, the price on Amazon for the 35 pound bag is $40.36.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• ChicagoEgghead20
    ChicagoEgghead20 Posts: 218
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @FaceDance - it looks so warm in your picture

@Mikee - IMHO its nothing like RO - 

• ChicagoEgghead20
    ChicagoEgghead20 Posts: 218
    edited December 2014
    Options

@TheYolkIsOnYou - Preach it brother, I had some Wicked Good that lasted 3 cooks - I literally had to remove some of the big pieces because it lasted too long. When I left it in the firebowl, the moisture made it hard to light.  The only way I'm going to back to a BGE, RO or other low quality is if they are giving it away (I got some dirt cheap Cowboy on Black Friday) It will work for CI cooks and quick burgers.
  • Lit
    Options
    Its crazy my 4 bags came on 2 different days and from different locations. The first 3 bags were in perfect shape and 2 came from Texas and the other somewhere up north. The fourth came several days later and the box was beat to hell. The UPS driver dropped it off and cursed the way amazon packaged it even though they were all packed the same.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    @lit  UPS drivers can't like lump orders, especially this time of year.  Oh well, fire craft has won my business better get used to it.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Lit
    Options
    The fogo holds up fine to the shipping its not an issue but I have never seen anything like this. The box was busted open on each end and taped back together the entire length of the box. The previous 3 were perfect and all through UPS.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Lit‌ I ordered one bag back in October, same thing. Box was taped on both ends, beat all to hell, but lump was fine.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Took these pictures Thanksgiving day.  Is the size about par with what everyone else is seeing? 

After lighting the lump with the weed torch, I close the lid and wait for it to come to temp.  RO usually smoked like a freight train, this did not and here is the picture to prove it.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have honestly found portions of branches where you can still see the growth rings. Big pieces in FOGO. although, I must add that RW has some HUGE pieces in it. Both are great.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    When I poured the lump in, I was surprised.  They were all large.  I was very surprised at how clean this stuff burns.  There is a clear difference for sure.  

My Egg needs a washing.  It is filthy! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I gotta say, I really like FOGO. Did you notice how dense it is? I can't believe how heavy a mostly empty bag is.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Yeah, the dang box was heavy getting it in the door.  Felt heavier than 36lbs or whatever it was.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Fogo is *money*, good to go, excellent lump. Great price for Prime Members - I'm buying tonight at $38.42. I use either Fogo or Wicked Good Weekend Warrior and am very pleased with both.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Gotta go on record saying Fogo is great, especially with Prime. I wish there were a great deal on Rockwood (Prime), as well. Those two bags cover all my BGE needs very well..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Chelnerul
    Options
    It looks like Amazon dynamically updates their pricing - I woke up this morning and the $38.42/bag is down to $37.64...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
      I wish there were a great deal on Rockwood (Prime), as well.

There is.......it's called Firecraft.com.  LOL

If we paid for that kind of fulfillment, the bags would be $30 a piece.  Even if it says "Prime", somebody is still paying for the shipping.