Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MINI MAX fire ring looks to be off

Options
The fire ring of my MM seems to be off ( or smaller then it should be ) please let me know if this looks abnormal.  
Any Thoughts / opinions are all welcome.  When I center the fire ring I have about a 1/2 inch hanging into the fire box all the way around.  
Hermosa Beach CA 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Mine is the same way.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Same here.  I noticed it as well on mine.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That was the first thing I noticed on mine as well. I thought it was a defect. Dealer opened 3 more boxes and they were exactly the same. Not sure why they did it this way. All the other sizes the fire box and fire ring are almost flush with one another. :-??
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mgunders
    Options
    Same with mine
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Thanks all I was changing the gasket and was starting to go crazy just looking at it.  Looks like they need to make a mold adjustment.  
    thanks again  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Same here, I thought the same thing.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Maybe to provide an air gap between the fire ring and the base?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    McStew said:

Thanks all I was changing the gasket and was starting to go crazy just looking at it.  Looks like they need to make a mold adjustment.  

thanks again  
    :-O toasted gasket already? Going to a Rutland? I have one sitting in my drawer ready to go but, the factory gasket is fine. Rutland will go on it at some point.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    The MM shares a dome and fire ring with the Small Egg.  I am guessing that they produced a new fire box for the MM that simply didn't marry up well with the small ring, it should function fine-IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options

The MM shares a dome and fire ring with the Small Egg.  I am guessing that they produced a new fire box for the MM that simply didn't marry up well with the small ring, it should function fine-IMO

Ding Ding Ding!!! Bingo! Just spoke to Duane at BGE & the fire box is a completely new design. The original fire ring they had in R&D was to short and didn't get the grid to the felt line. They went with the Small's fire ring and it was determined that was the way to go.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • McStew
    Options
    Yep the rutland is already added! Now on to designing the table for the limited space I have remaining.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Don't complain too much!
    At least you can get MM; they are nowhere to be found  out here.   
    ~X(
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @jaydub58‌ what area of the country are you in? I believe the local dealers I go to have at least 5-7 left. That blows my mind that the MM still isn't available at certain dealers even when they have patrons that have prepaid @Jeremiah‌ :-w Crazy!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I am located in the Willamette Valley in Oregon.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yup.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    sodigthisbigcrux Posts: 127
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Don't complain too much!
    At least you can get MM; they are nowhere to be found  out here.   
    ~X(
    You're in the PDX area, right? I had a hell of a time finding one..most didn't even know what it was and one guy tried telling me what I was looking for a straight up Mini. Anyhow, The Pool and Spa House on Milwaukee was able to order me one. I got the order in on Friday and they said I'd have it with in two weeks

The Pool and Spa House
    7235 SE Milwaukie Ave
    Portland, OR
    (503) 233-8059

Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

@jaydub58‌ what area of the country are you in? I believe the local dealers I go to have at least 5-7 left. That blows my mind that the MM still isn't available at certain dealers even when they have patrons that have prepaid @Jeremiah‌ :-w Crazy!!!
    They still arent up here in Canada either, but should be shipping soon, they will be putting one aside for me.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mine is the same.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tcampbell
    Options
  • Mickey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options

They still arent up here in Canada either, but should be shipping soon, they will be putting one aside for me.
    Maybe some parts of Canada they aren't.  Dixon's BBQ in Toronto have already received their first shipments.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I think the "1st shipment wave" went to higher volume dealers first. I could be wrong on this though.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • McStew
    Options
    that sums it up thanks.... Don't get me wrong I love it so far and I haven't even used it yet.  But come on at $600 bucks make it fit correctly BGE!
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This is what this forum is all about.  People solving BGE problems. Good collaboration.  I'm gonna go full Canadian on your asses and apologize for posting on a forum for a product I do not have.  I apologize profusely. 
    Options
    @McStew‌ I'm looking for a MM here in SoCal. Where did you get yours from?
  • McStew
    Options
    San Diego Grill Pro's ask for Joey 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I just got my Mini about a year ago. For twice the price of what I paid for my mini the MM isn't worth it for me.

If it were closer in price I might pull the trigger.

With the firebox being off, seems they just wanted to save some mold development costs and use what was already available.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Sounds like a cost saving measure for them. For MM $$$, they should do it right.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    If anyone wants to sell their defective MM.....
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It cooks just fine the way it is. I use the hell out of mine and several here do even more. It was make to cook, it cooks.....