Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your Christmas Story? (Mine is kind of lengthy).

Options

So this time a of year always reminds me of 5 years ago at Christmas time. The story goes:

Working construction, found out my wife was pregnant with our second child. We were excited, yet nervous about the economy and my job security. Three days after we find out we are pregnant I am told I will be laid off at the first of the year. My wife stays at home so my income is the only one. We were slightly nervous but knew that God would take care of us some how.

So our budget for Christmas that year was $10 for the wife and I each and $15 for the kiddo.

My wife is at home one day a couple of weeks later and a friend of hers calls and asks if she is home as she wanted to drop something by. My wife goes outside to meet her and the gal opens the trunk and my wife sees some random grocery things from Costco. She says "Merry Christmas." My wife doesn't get it, and the friend says "It's for you, the whole trunk of food is for you." My wife breaks down crying in feeling so blessed in our circumstances and our friendships.

There was meat, ketchup, bread, all kinds of staples that lasted us 3 months.

Fast forward another couple of weeks and I had been interested in shaving with a straight razor for some time and had been lurking on the forum www.straightrazorplace.com I had made a couple of posts but nothing significant. Anyway, I posted on there my attempt at appreciation of what I had learned so far and that I couldn't get a straight razor yet due to my job lay off, but was excited about what I was learning. Long story short, the kindness of humanity and that forum kicked in and I had a very blessed Christmas. They sent me a straight razor, all kinds of soaps, a strop, a hone, a very very nice brush. Probably $400 worth of stuff. One of the guys told his wife about it and the wife said that it wasn't right for a wife not to get something too so they sent her a bunch of girly smelly stuff. (Still brings a tear to my eye thinking about that Christmas story).

That Christmas was one of my favorite of all time. I still have the straight razor, strop, and brush. I still shave with a straight razor, and use that same brush almost every time. We were very blessed, and though we had very little money, we had more than we ever wanted.

Merry Christmas!!

Do you have a Christmas Story?

In case you are interested, here is the address to the forum where the straight razor stuff went down:

http://straightrazorplace.com/beginners/45709-i-have-confession.html#post500748

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    That is a great story! It also proves that most people are kind and will help their fellow man. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Cool, thanks for sharing.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great story man!  I've shared this before, but my favorite Christmas moment was when my mom gave my brother and I a NES.  We wanted it but were convinced it wasn't happening.  Single mom, raising two boys who wanted everything and she blew us away.  Still don't know how she did it, but that's just one Christmas that sticks with me.  The love and joy I saw in her eyes is something I didn't truly understand until I had children of my own.  I definitely taught me the true meaning of Christmas.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    they were always pretty good on that forum, it does amaze me a shaving forum can run so long and keep members
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @dldawes1 it is totally acceptable to be eggdicted. I am sure there are many of us that are afflicted with that addiction! 

• JGoodson
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great story.
    McDonough,Ga   Large & Small BGE  Dawgs, Falcons and Bravos!
  • fletcherfam
    Options
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Sounded warm and fuzzy to me! Great story..

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Great story !!!

I got a great early Christmas present.... 22 years ago.

God delivered me from being a cocaine addict of 8 years, an alcoholic of 15 years, and of my addiction to tobacco for 17.

That was the greatest Christmas present ever.

Now I'm 1 year....eggdicted !!!!

I am betting this habit is more expensive
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I woke up one christmas morning and thought I saw santa claus.  Turned out it was just another damn raccoon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    MDSH was a pilot and he was always very fortunate to be home sometime around Christmas for the kids when they were little. When the kids were in college we weren't so lucky. He was living in New York and on call so the kids and I thought we would to New York and we would all be together. Before we got on the plane he called and said that they just assigned him a trip on Christmas morning and wanted to know what we wanted to go. Well we flew to New York and thought Christmas Eve dinner would be better than nothing. Christmas morning we decide to go on his trip to San francisco. GREAT time was had by all. Rode the cable car, had great food and we were all together. Next morning it was back on the plane back to Florida. We still talk about that Christmas and what a fun time we had being together and spending 3 days in an airplane. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @fletcherfam‌ -- So beautiful! Heart warming.

@cazzy‌ -- glad to see you back.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I proposed to my wife in front of this Christmas tree on Lake Superior 3 years ago.

I gave my parents a large egg that I cleaned and restored for Christmas 3 years ago.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
     I gave my parents a large egg that I cleaned and restored for Christmas 3 years ago.
    Son of the year!

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Me 6 and my brother 5 wake up early xmas morning, get dressed heading to grandma's house, wake them up to get our goodies.  Grandma, calls mom wakes her up, yelling at her how could she let us walk over in a snowstorm.  Tells her to come get us so she can go back to bed.  Mom gotta love her says they walked over they can walk back.  I can still remember banging those marching drums all the way home.  Thanks mom, me and my brother will never forget that walk back!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    When I was six or seven we spent Christmas with my aunt, uncle and cousins.  We woke up Christmas morning at 5:00 and were delighted that Santa put kazoos in all of our stockings.  So our parents woke up to a seven kazoo band.  Santa never gave us noisy gifts in our stockings ever again.  Also, the rule was established that it must be daylight before us kids were allowed to wake our parents.  Opening presents without the parents was not contemplated. 
    Flint, Michigan