Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking in the cold?

Options
I bought my egg in March so I have only cooked in warmer temperatures. How does the egg hold up in the extreme cold? It is currently -11f here haha.

Comments

• tcampbell
    Options
    If u can hold up the egg will be fine.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    They say you can cook to -40 if you can take it. I'm doing salmon for lunch in a few hours. It's only 32 here.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Cold doesnt bother the egg just the egger

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    We had a major snow and ice storm here in Atlanta last winter. The entire city was shut down because everything was iced over. I thought, what a better test for the Egg than to throw on a pork shoulder! No issues whatsoever. The Egg will get it done regardless of outside temp. 

TONS of Canadians cook on Eggs because a kamado is the only type of cooker that works flawlessly in the cold weather, 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    We had a major snow and ice storm here in Atlanta last winter. The entire city was shut down because everything was iced over. I thought, what a better test for the Egg than to throw on a pork shoulder! No issues whatsoever. The Egg will get it done regardless of outside temp. 

TONS of Canadians cook on Eggs because a kamado is the only type of cooker that works flawlessly in the cold weather, 
    We measure ourselves in tonnes not tons just so you know.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options

We measure ourselves in tonnes not tons just so you know.
    Tonnes, eh?  
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I agree cold or weather is no problem.

I have cooked at -9 and no problems...snow and rain...no problems.

The egg is weatherproof...just remember to lay foil between the gaskets when finished condensate will freeze your lid closed.  Of course heat thaws it out...tin foil is easiest method for me.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I am convinced that a rutland gasket, installed on the base only is the reason my egg has never frozen shut. Maybe it's the gasket material, maybe it's the fact that it's only on one half. Dunno. I do know that this will be its 6th New England winter without foil or cover. Hasn't frozen yet!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Lol. Your cute. How much snow shut down Atlanta? Must have been at least an inch.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    But @hondabbq‌ it took all of NGA by surprise. We didn't even get our milk and bread and the guy who drives the one snow plow/salt truck was on vacation. Give us a break. Sheesh.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Egg On!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Cold, no worries, it will keep going well past whatever temp you give up at.

Brush it off and good to go.
    Sudbury, Ontario