Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you glue your meat?

Options
If so here is a video regarding Meat Glue. http://youtu.be/hXXrB3rz-xU

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use it all the time.

That video is not what's happening at your grocery store or butcher. Meat glue is everywhere in processed food (all deli meat has it, many sausages, chicken nuggets etc) so we all eat it to some degree.

I don't know of anyone who is making "prime cuts" out of scraps. That seems a little far fetched to me.

I use it for gluing bacon or prosciutto to stuff, or chicken skin to chicken breast etc

Here is a loin I wrapped in prosciutto. You can see how the prosciutto sticks even if it's sliced thin. 

The 2nd pics are a chicken dish I had at Drago Centro in LA. It's 2 chicken breasts glued together with the skin from the whole chicken wrapped around it. It makes a perfect shpere with skin all the way around. can't to that without some tricks

imageimage
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think that was the same video that made the round a few years ago.

FWIW, if you've eaten imitation "crab" or skinless hotdogs, youv'e eaten something put together w. transglutaminases. Possibly the slabs sold as sandwich steaks. Brands of "gyros" meats. Etc.

If a chef is passing off an assembly of trimmings as a piece of steak, it is certainly unethical, and should not be allowed.

However, using meat glue to form something seems to be no more hazardous that using twine to tie up a bracciol, or roast. Or skewer something w. a bunch of tooth picks.

From what I've read, the meat glue now available all comes from bacteria, not blood.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, it's fun stuff. I don't believe the hype of high end steak houses passing off glued up pieces together as a fillet. Then again, I don't frequent high end steak houses either.

I've also used it to glue two pork tenderloins together into a single symmetrical piece, cooks much more evenly than two separate pieces with a thin tail.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention. [sarcasm] The scary music really helps convince me the expose was with greatest regard for public health, not higher ratings. [/sarcasm]
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Look in the mirror. You are made of "meat glue". It's what holds your cells together.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:

Oh, forgot to mention. [sarcasm] The scary music really helps convince me the expose was with greatest regard for public health, not higher ratings. [/sarcasm]

Yeah- I didn't see any network signage or news logo on there anywhere and all they said were "major suppliers have been caught"....without naming any names. I'm sure it was a trade organization video for some brand going after another. Looks like an internet video to me.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    meat glue is amazing and you will have a blast using it.  I have never worn a mask when using it nor will I start.  
    Can anyone explain pink slime?
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    McStew said:

meat glue is amazing and you will have a blast using it.  I have never worn a mask when using it nor will I start.  

Can anyone explain pink slime?
    Pink slime is a meat byproduct from leftover parts of the carcass. They separate the bits of meat from fat in a centerfuge and it creates a kind of slurry. Looks nasty but it's basically "the last of the last bits" of any protein left from the carcass. They treat it with ammonia gas to kill the bad stuff though which I'm not a big fan of.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @cen-tex Thanks the soon to be wife if on a kick, she now thinks all ground meat contains pink slime. 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Where do you get "meat glue"? I am unfamiliar with it. Thanks in advance.
    :-??
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

I just posed this question over on GreenEggers.Com.  Why can't we inject fat into meat, such as fat into a choice steak to make it look and taste like a prime steak?

We inject or rub everything else in/on them,

Spring "Why Not - That Is The Question" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @anton You "make it" everyday, literally. For cooking, however, the interwebs is your best bet.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, sorry, I posted before I watched the vid, now I know what it is. I thought it was some clever recipe of kitchen ingredients that you all made yourself, by the posts I read, nobody ever mentioned it was a purchased product, nor did anyone ever share a link or mfgr of said product. I guess I will just google search my questions from now on.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • gdenby
    Options

I just posed this question over on GreenEggers.Com.  Why can't we inject fat into meat, such as fat into a choice steak to make it look and taste like a prime steak?

We inject or rub everything else in/on them,

Spring "Why Not - That Is The Question" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

Hiya, Mr Spring 'not seen you here before" Chicken

Classic French cooking uses "lardons," strips of fat that are hooked to something like a large darning needle, and then passed thru meat that is too lean. Don't think that would make anything look like prime, but might improve the flavor. Of course, this assumes there is another source of fat available to add to the piece with too little fat.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    anton said:
    @Eggcelsior, sorry, I posted before I watched the vid, now I know what it is. I thought it was some clever recipe of kitchen ingredients that you all made yourself, by the posts I read, nobody ever mentioned it was a purchased product, nor did anyone ever share a link or mfgr of said product. I guess I will just google search my questions from now on.
    @anton, sorry, I was just being "tongue in cheek"

Here is a good site to purchase it at.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Thanks gdenby,.  I was also doing some research since I posted the question.  It seems that it is being done a lot.

By the way, I've been around for a while.  Spring Chicken Posts: 9,524   

Also got 18,232 posts on the GreenEggers.com Forum.

I've also been to over 50 Eggfests and Egg Related Events, and have about 80 videos on YouTube for Big Green Egg Related subjects.  I also maintain three or four Egg related Blog sites.  Some people know me as Leroy.

I've seen you post a few times.

Spring "Been Around The Egg For A While" Chicken

Spring Texas USA         

• Meathead1974
    Options

TG is pretty "old school" at this point, I haven't seen it used in quite some time at any major processors.  There are other ways of achieving the same results....you'll see a lot of sodium alginate and carrageenan on labels nowadays which will do the same thing.

Fort Mill, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

TG is pretty "old school" at this point, I haven't seen it used in quite some time at any major processors.  There are other ways of achieving the same results....you'll see a lot of sodium alginate and carrageenan on labels nowadays which will do the same thing.

Yup. That stuff keeps things vegetarian and I suppose is cheaper since they aren't derived from cow and pig blood. Yay seaweed!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Is there a place to order meat glue in small quantities? Last time i checked it seemed like I had to buy a giant jar of it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I glue some meat, but not all meat.
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Modernistpantry.com is the spot to buy.

here is the direct link to the consumer sized bags.

http://www.modernistpantry.com/moo-gloo-rm-transglutaminase.html

• gdenby
    Options

Thanks gdenby,.  I was also doing some research since I posted the question.  It seems that it is being done a lot.

By the way, I've been around for a while.  Spring Chicken Posts: 9,524   

Also got 18,232 posts on the GreenEggers.com Forum.

I've also been to over 50 Eggfests and Egg Related Events, and have about 80 videos on YouTube for Big Green Egg Related subjects.  I also maintain three or four Egg related Blog sites.  Some people know me as Leroy.

I've seen you post a few times.

Spring "Been Around The Egg For A While" Chicken

Spring Texas USA         

I wasn't clear. Just meant I hadn't seen you post on this forum before. I've followed and admired your posts on the "old" forum for years. Just trying to say good to see your post.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

That's okay, and I appreciate the 'admired' comment.  I really do.  I try to stay in touch with everyone I've met over the years and some of them are over here now, mostly because they prefer the faster pace of this forum's format than the old greeneggers format. 

I don't post over here that often (only about 15 times in the last 30 days) but I do post and read a lot of the posts and comments.  There are some really great cooks on this side of the isle and I like what they are doing with some of the old recipes.  Kicking 'em up a notch.

I also kept a close eye on those posts and photos of Mini Egg cooks that many shared on the forum.  I copied and used some of the photos in my Magic Mini Moments videos.  Some great shots there too.  I would have missed them if I had limited myself to just one forum.

This thread just happened to get my attention because I had just posted about injecting fat into meat to enhance its appearance and flavor.  I was also one of the first to mention Meat Glue some years ago, along with grill-mark ink, air injection, water injection, and a few other little known tricks in the meat trade, right up to brushing on some sugar water to your meat to enhance the grill marks or tossing a couple of briquettes into your lump charcoal to enhance smoke rings.  Funny, I had never given that kind of stuff any thought until I became an Egghead and began posting on the forums.  Lots to learn from lots of people.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Spring "Hey, There's A Dead Turkey In My Frig!!!" Chicken

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    wow...sure would never want to put glue on my meat...it would make my hand stick to it....I wouldn't want it to hurt when I pulled my hand away.....oooouccch

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI